Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 11th, 2011 at 7:57:36 PM permalink
Sorry. I thought it was pretentious crap. I'd read all about levels within levels, and reality vs dream; halfway through I didn't give a damn, none of the people in it were worth caring about.

Zero character development, sketchy plot, what plot there was within the actual premise was stupid. (Father issues? REALLY?) Nicely filmed, I'll give it that. Otherwise, a waste of two hours.

IN MY OPINION, of course. I know that a lot of people had fun riding the vibe. But I think that's the internet set, the disconnected through overconnection ones. All the emotions are on the surface, nothing is too deep so everything seems deep.

The ending... dream? Reality? Who cares. What difference does it make anyhow. It was just a movie. The ending was like an exercise in making it seem like more than it was. At no point did I ever feel like I was anything more than a spectator, watching actors go through the motions and pretending.
A falling knife has no handle.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
January 11th, 2011 at 8:15:46 PM permalink
I thought so too - before watching it.

It's partially a matter of reigning your expectations, though. Christopher Nolan did an amazing work with The Prestige, which initially made me seek out his movies. After watching Insomnia (mediocre+) and Memento (good but very artsy), I kinda had thoughts on what to expect.

Inception was no Prestige, neither will it enter the National Archives, but it was a pretty fun one. You have to admit the idea is better than average. The plot... mish-mash, yes, but it was meant that way. The visuals though were pretty impressive. It also maintained a good pace, much better than most movies.
The movie was overhyped with its viral advertising, and it certainly wasn't worth the hype, but if you just look at it standalone and not measure it against the hype, it's a pretty good one.

Though if I were to choose between having never seen Inception and BTVS S01E12: Nightmares, I'd choose the former... which kind of puts it in its place.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 11th, 2011 at 8:21:05 PM permalink
I hated the deux ex machina in the Prestige.

The Inception I really enjoyed as a visually stunning piece of work with some interesting characters. I didn't expect much development in it... the action takes place over far too short a time span... for everyone except Sato, I guess.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 11th, 2011 at 8:27:04 PM permalink
Quote: P90

I thought so too - before watching it.

It's partially a matter of reigning your expectations, though. Christopher Nolan did an amazing work with The Prestige, which initially made me seek out his movies.

I liked The Prestige until the plot twist, which was completely out of the blue. That could have been great, then... deus ex machina!

I came to this with no expectations, really. I'd heard it was good. I missed the viral stuff. I knew there was some twisting of reality. We watched it long enough after the buzz to see it for what it was. You know what it reminded me of? Vanilla Sky. Where the director films a bunch of disconnected scenes and the audience is supposed to supply the feelings and motivations. I'm all for participatory film making, but you still have to at least touch me with your imagery, with your pictures, with something. You can't just put it up there as if to say, "Look how clever I am! Now, give it your own meaning."

edit: cesspit; we used the same idiom! I was typing while you were posting. Yeah, that sucked. I was all pulled into the mood, the players, the trickery and the deception, and then... SCIENCE FICTION?
A falling knife has no handle.
  • Jump to: