Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 15th, 2010 at 7:22:25 AM permalink
Taking a break from serious questions, and serious thinking about gambling, I came u with this.

I vastly preffer female pop and rock singers and bands, mostly from the 70s-80s era. My all time favorites are, more or less in order:

The Bangles
Olivia Newton John
Pat Benatar
Joan Jett
The Go Gos (however the proper spelling goes)
Belinda Carlisle
Laura Brannigan

To a lesser extent, meaning a few songs only, I also like Heart, Stevie Nicks, Karen Carpenter, Madonna and Paula Abdul.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 15th, 2010 at 8:49:12 AM permalink
Nareed. While not limited to those, I share your taste here!

You have to see this, then. IMO it is the one of the greatest live female performances of the 80s. The way she works a stadium as if it were a small club, the way she sings the climax rather than shouts it, the great song... unbelievable. For a short time, one of the greats.

Cindy Lauper - Money Changes Everything, Paris, 1985

And you should definitely watch the young Maria McKee ("If Love is a Red Dress", from the Pulp Fiction soundtrack) and Lone Justice, NYC 1986. I had a chance to see a show on that tour, but I'd just started a new job and couldn't take the time off.

Lone Justice, "Ways to be Wicked", NYC 12-13-86

I also actually had the tickets to The Bangles, same time period, but had to blow them off for the same reason. At least I made a career in that field. Those are the YouTube videos that are tagged "Pittsburgh, Syria Mosque". The whole freakin' show was made into an MTV video, it's all on YouTube now.

Bangles - Going Down To Liverpool (1986) PIttsburgh, PA

We (me, my brother, and our girlfriends at the time) saw Joan Jett in a small club back then, it was the tour that supported "Album", in '83. Me & the Mrs missed Pat Benatar this summer at Mohegan Pocono; I heard she can still really bring it, though.
A falling knife has no handle.
Nareed
Nareed
December 15th, 2010 at 12:32:05 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Me & the Mrs missed Pat Benatar this summer at Mohegan Pocono; I heard she can still really bring it, though.

I'd die happy if I could hear Pat Benatar sing live the opening of "Shadows of the Night."

Did you ever hear the live, acoustic version of "We Belong"?

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look them up.

I have to tell you I dind't like Cindy Lauper way back when, but since then I've developed a liking for "Time After Time."
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 15th, 2010 at 12:46:16 PM permalink
I am the most eclectic imaginable, although I have no use for Rap or Punk or Heavy Metal etc.

I listen to opera, classical in general too esp these days Chamber Music, but also Jazz and Country and Bluegrass! Currently greatly disappointed that having just discovered "the Roadhouse" on XM it has become Christmas music of some sort. Temporarily I hope. "The Roadhouse" is vintage Country.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mosca
Mosca
December 15th, 2010 at 12:56:29 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I'd die happy if I could hear Pat Benatar sing live the opening of "Shadows of the Night."

Did you ever hear the live, acoustic version of "We Belong"?

Nope, haven't heard it, but I'll search for it. If she comes next summer, we're going. I was PO'd that we missed her. Nope, never heard it, but I'll look her up.

Quote:

I have to tell you I didn't like Cindy Lauper way back when, but since then I've developed a liking for "Time After Time."

I wasn't a fan of Cyndi Lauper, either, until I heard that; it blew me away. Great song (by The Brains), awesome band, stunning performance.

Quote:

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look them up.

Just click the links when you have time. I know what it's like, chasing someone else's favorite YouTube stuff; you'll either be impressed, or bored with something that isn't right for you. 'S good either way. I've had hundreds of misses, following links that were passed to me, and some fantastic hits. I'll watch them all, to find stuff that still excites my ear.
Mosca
Mosca
December 15th, 2010 at 1:10:42 PM permalink
The only thing I ask for in music is an honest voice. If it's honest, I'll listen. I might not spend money on it, I might not search it out again, but I'll listen at least once.

What I like about music is that even something like rap can translate to other genres and become enjoyable.

Snoop Dogg - Gin & Juice

Bluegrass:

The Gourds, Gin & Juice

smooth lounge jazz:

Richard Cheese, Gin & Juice
Nareed
Nareed
December 15th, 2010 at 1:31:18 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Nope, haven't heard it, but I'll search for it. If she comes next summer, we're going. I was PO'd that we missed her. Nope, never heard it, but I'll look her up.

You really have to. It's one of her best songs, and in this version she sings it passionately, with her husband doing a little background vocals even. The chorus changes a little. She stretches "light" in "We belong to the light," then skips "we belong" in the next line. So it comes out like:

"We belong to the liiight
To the thunder.
We belong to the sound of the words
We're both falling under."

I'm a big fan of lyrics, and Benatar has several good ones.

But I'd better stop now, or else I'll start quoting favorite passages and giving notes on how they are sung.
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
December 15th, 2010 at 6:39:35 PM permalink
CCR
Clapton
ELO
Rolling Stones
Yes
The Cars
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
The Beatles
Elvis
Talking Heads
Joe Walsh
Peter Gabriel
Heart
Moody Blues
Bob Dylan
Bob Seger
Led Zeppelin
The Who
Fleetwood Mac
38 Special
Bad Company
Crosby, Stills & Nash (Young)
David Bowie
Allman Brothers
The Guess Who
AC/DC
Sting/The Police
docsjs
docsjs
  • Threads: 22
December 15th, 2010 at 7:18:00 PM permalink
Eliane Elias
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 16th, 2010 at 11:30:10 AM permalink

Taking a break from serious questions, and serious thinking about gambling, I came u with this.

I vastly preffer female pop and rock singers and bands, mostly from the 70s-80s era. My all time favorites are, more or less in order:

The Bangles
Olivia Newton John
Pat Benatar
Joan Jett
The Go Gos (however the proper spelling goes)
Belinda Carlisle
Laura Brannigan

To a lesser extent, meaning a few songs only, I also like Heart, Stevie Nicks, Karen Carpenter, Madonna and Paula Abdul.

What about other bands of the same broad genre? 'Til Tuesday? Blondie? Fleetwood Mac? Is it safe to infer that you like Fleetwood if you like Ms. Nicks, kind of like Belinda Carlisle and the Go Gos?

I would say that my tastes are similar to yours, except that I prefer male vocalists. I think that's because my mother does, and I grew up listening to her music. I'm pretty sure I could listen to Dennis DeYoung (Styx), Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, or George Michael pretty much all day long. Also, I'm a sucker for a good power ballad.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 16th, 2010 at 11:54:43 AM permalink
My top favourites are :

The Pixies
Green Day
Johnny Cash
Chumbawamba
Less Than Jake
Half-Man, Half Biscuit
Fugazi
Against Me!
Veruca Salt
Carter USM
Hybrid
Husker Du

Though that's just a selection of what plays on thecesspit Radio. Mostly 90's alt-rock stuff, with some more pop and electronic thrown in. And the Great JC. Who really need no particular pigeon hole.

I have a LastFM account if anyone cares (same user name, natch).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
December 16th, 2010 at 5:47:33 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

What about other bands of the same broad genre? 'Til Tuesday? Blondie? Fleetwood Mac? Is it safe to infer that you like Fleetwood if you like Ms. Nicks, kind of like Belinda Carlisle and the Go Gos?

Not so much Fleetwood Mac as Stevie Nicks. I like "Talk To me" and "Gypsie." I also like some older Blondie songs, like "Heart of Glass," "Rapture," even though the lyrics are inane (ah, but the video is the best I've seen Debbie Harry look ever!), and a more recent one, "Maria."

I don't think I've ever heard of the other band.

There are others I like a little. Juice Newton, Martika, Lisa Loeb, Scandal and Alannah Miles. But maybe just one or two songs from each.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 17th, 2010 at 4:54:36 PM permalink
As a PS : RIP Captain Beefheart, thanks for the songs.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Mosca
Mosca
December 17th, 2010 at 6:53:36 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

As a PS : RIP Captain Beefheart, thanks for the songs.

Van Vliet died? Aw, crap. That's another one I saw, way back when; Capt. Beefheart & Frank Zappa, at The Johnstown War Memorial. The last number (they did no encore) was "Willie the Pimp". Awesome. I think it was '74, around the time of (but before) Bongo Fury. The crowd was all local potheads, Deep Purple types, they had no idea; The JWM was a big gymnasium, wood floors, with wind-up basketball hoops and bleachers! I only remember some of it, of course. Just one of those things that happened long ago. I think I'm gonna go listen to "Hair Pie - Bake 1" now.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 17th, 2010 at 7:02:45 PM permalink

Not so much Fleetwood Mac as Stevie Nicks. I like "Talk To me" and "Gypsie." I also like some older Blondie songs, like "Heart of Glass," "Rapture," even though the lyrics are inane (ah, but the video is the best I've seen Debbie Harry look ever!), and a more recent one, "Maria."

I don't think I've ever heard of the other band.

There are others I like a little. Juice Newton, Martika, Lisa Loeb, Scandal and Alannah Miles. But maybe just one or two songs from each.

I agree that the video for Rapture really saves it. Pretty much anything is improved by adding in a little early-'80s Debbie Harry, though. :-)

Til Tuesday had one pretty big hit with "Voices Carry" (Hush, hush - keep it down now - voices carry...)

This one is one of my favorie songs of theirs:

"Weve known her ever since she was a kid
She was the kind of girl who repeats her mistakes
Her parents never minded what she did
She was a fallen angel with dirt on her face
But past a certain point she stayed behind
The two of us could never read her mind
The million ways she had of killing time

So we just gave up
Yeah we just gave up
cause sometimes, you know
Theres limits to love

We'd get impatient with her now and then
Oh, shed smile and say, `now you're not being nice.
I guess her definition of a friend
Was someone long on love, and short on advice
We gave her money but the moneys bad
She took the dollars and just tore them in half
We got so angry, we just had to laugh

But we still gave up
Yeah we still gave up
Theres limits to love

Shell get in trouble but she will scrape through
Oh, shes the kind of girl who can always find help
I'd say shes stupid, but it'd be untrue
Oh, you've got to be smart if you're fooling yourself
We tried to love her, but our love unwound
(so our love was weak)
We talked about her when she wasn't around
(so our talk was cheap)
And still we felt that we were letting her down

cause we just gave up
Yeah we just gave up
Theres limits to love

Sometimes you know
Theres limits to love"

That one's called "Limits to Love." Til Tuesday's singer, Aimee Mann, has a good voice and she writes well. But she is maybe a little to rebelious to get the whole commercialization = success thing.

Mann guested on an episode of The West Wing ("College Kids," episode 68) and sings an otherworldly good version of James Taylor's "Shed a Little Light." Sidenote: Taylor should be added to the list of male vocalists that i could listen to without a break.

Here are those lyrics:

"Let us turn our thoughts today
To martin luther king
And recognize that there are ties between us
All men and women
Living on the earth
Ties of hope and love
Sister and brotherhood
That we are bound together
In our desire to see the world become
A place in which our children
Can grow free and strong
We are bound together
By the task that stands before us
And the road that lies ahead
We are bound and we are bound

There is a feeling like the clenching of a fist
There is a hunger in the center of the chest
There is a passage through the darkness and the mist
And though the body sleeps the heart will never rest"
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
  • Jump to: