smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 71
June 2nd, 2021 at 10:07:22 PM permalink
The story goes that "Tales of the Arabian Nights" pinball, which came out a year after "Attack from Mars," had a toned-down scoring system in what was thought to be an out-of-control points scale — 1 billion points is a mediocre score for AFM!

The designers also wanted TOTAN to have a nicer font when displaying points.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 56
June 2nd, 2021 at 11:06:56 PM permalink
I doubt I ever read the rules.
Attack From Mars is particularly noteworthy. The skill shot at the beginning of the game is worth 10 million points (and increases 10 million each subsequent time). Hitting the saucer in the middle scores 50 million or more a hit (and if you aim the ball right, you can score up to three hits in one shot). In the wizard mode, your goal is to earn 5 billion points, at which time you are awarded 5 billion more. https://allthetropes.fandom.com/wiki/Pinball_Scoring
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
June 3rd, 2021 at 5:22:50 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

I thought the title of this thread is really interesting as it's a play on the Who song and the owner of this forum.

I am not calling myself a Pinball Wizard as in the greatest player btw, just liked the title.

This thread will be about my machines I currently own or owned in the past.

I recently sold the following so it's been gone from my home a month

ATTACK FROM MARS.

Thanks for the memories. Max Fish, a long gone bar on Ludlow Street in NYC, had ATTACK FROM MARS. Great game, I used to play it all the time.
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 262
June 11th, 2021 at 3:34:16 PM permalink
This next pinball was the first one I owned about twenty years ago.

It's been long sold so photos are from the internet.

BRIDE OF PINBOT

Bride is the middle game of three developed by Williams and certainly the most ummm, memorable.

PINBOT, Bride of PINBOT and Jackbot which was a gambling themed version of PINBOT.

Bride of PINBOT has a simple premise. The playfield has a female robot which needs to be constructed.

The unique aspect of this game is the female face which was a cylinder that rotated so each newly built face was replaced with the next.

Yes, this game is wildly sexual. As you play the female begs you in the sexiest computer voice to fulfill your job of building her. "Ooooh, yes, please do it. It feels so good". (I am going by memory here so maybe it wasn't quite so sensual but this game definitely had her speaking with ooohs and aaahs)

Your first task was to get your balls in her mouth. (I mean, there really is no nice way to put it). I think she was actually silent, just making cooing sounds until this first objective gives her speech. Then she begins talking sensually to you.

Once you got your ball in her mouth the face would swivel 90' exposing the second face. You now had to smack both your balls into her eyes (so she could gain sight. Who would not want an enlightened woman?)

Once that objective was finished the face would swivel another 90' to expose the third task.

You now had to get your balls down her throat (I mean, I really am not making this stuff up).

Once you had succeeded shoving your testicles, ahem sorry, balls down her throat, her face swiveled a final 90', exposing a fully formed beautiful woman you had constructed.

Now, fully formed you had to once again get your balls into her mouth (naturally). Doing so energized her, creating a whole heart beat, flashing lights, and yes orgasmic scenario where she basically then let you enter... MULTI-BAAÀALLLLL!!!!!

Yessss! Awwww, so satisfying!

I miss that game!
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 2
June 11th, 2021 at 3:39:38 PM permalink
It's a great game except for tournaments. The billion point shot is a random award from the big wheel. There may have been a rom update to fix that.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 56
June 11th, 2021 at 3:45:00 PM permalink
Bella Poarch - Build a B*tch (Official Music Video) - YouTube
166,610,560 views• Premiered May 14, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLGCGc7sAUw
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 71
June 12th, 2021 at 10:30:06 PM permalink
Thanks for the pinball pics! I belong to two pinball groups, so I'm somewhat inured to them, but I still like them!
darkoz
darkoz 
Thanks for this post from:
smoothgrh
June 13th, 2021 at 12:54:28 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

Thanks for the pinball pics! I belong to two pinball groups, so I'm somewhat inured to them, but I still like them!

You are welcome.

I aim to please.
darkoz
darkoz 
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
June 21st, 2021 at 2:07:54 PM permalink
To my knowledge there were three Pinball/video game hybrids and I have owned two of them.

Here is the first.

BABY PACMAN

I sold mine a while back but most of the photos I am posting are from my for sale listing. I took a few off the internet from other users.

Baby Pac-Man is video game dominant. (The other one I owned was Pinball dominant. I will cover that one next)

It looks like an arcade video game as opposed to a Pinball machine but with Pinball flipper buttons on the side. The game also starts in video game mode for each life

The video section is Pac-Man with a few twists.

First there is an additional two tunnels at the bottom screen. Those are for "entering" the Pinball. The tunnels are open at the beginning of each life but close after first use to avoid someone simply hiding in Pinball mode.

Additionally there are no Energizer pucks when starting. You have to EARN those in the pinball game.

Pinball mode is simple. You earn fruits and Energizer pucks by hitting certain trick targets in Pinball for when you return to the video game.

YOU DO NOT LOSE A LIFE IN PINBALL MODE.

Uniquely, when losing a ball in Pinball mode, you simply return to the video game (with the Pinball tunnel door now shut). So failure to earn Energizer pucks etc has severe implications on your ability to stay alive.

(Tunnel doors reopen with a new life OR a new screen so if you can clear the board you have Pinball access again.

The pinball field is a very encapsulated version of a pinball game for obvious reasons.

One aspect of Baby Pac-Man that is notorious is there are no patterns to learn. With normal Pac-Man games if you learn a certain "route" or pattern to eating the dots, the ghost killers follow the same moves. So if you can learn and memorize a pattern that avoids the ghosts you can repeat that every game.

Not Baby Pac-Man! Ghosts are independent and from the moment you start and no matter what moves you repeat they are ON YOUR ASSSSS!.

I think the extra challenge of no patterns was looked at as a welcome challenge by the game makers but Pac-Man purists were horrified.

And Pinball purists found the truncated (Baby) pinball board less than challenging as well

Baby Pac-Man was not a huge success. Nonetheless the uniqueness of the game has kept these units somewhat in demand if not price appreciated.

Models will set you back a modest $1100 - $1800 but usually sell fast when listed.
Last edited by: darkoz on Jun 21, 2021
darkoz
darkoz 
November 27th, 2021 at 3:03:18 PM permalink
Sorry, it's been awhile but here is the second pinball/video game hybrid.

Pics are from the internet since I sold this one off in 2019.

While Baby Pac-Man is video game dominant, this one is the opposite, being pinball dominant.

It's called Caveman.

You can see the overall design is slightly different than usual. The backboard has a lipped overhang. The purpose of this was to shield the video screen at the top of the game from the glare of pinball arcade overheads otherwise it would be difficult to see the video portion.

As you can see you play normal pinball but there is a "cave" for you to enter which is the video game portion.

The "cave entrance" is your Pac-Man like tunnels on the sides.

Entering the tunnel in the video game segment brings you back into the pinball game but you can't enter from the same side so you basically have to trek it to the opposite side of the screen.

The video game portion is Pac-Man based but no dots. You walk over vegetarian dinosaurs (Brontosaurus, triceratops) for points and avoid meat eaters (T-Rex, Pterodactyl).

Unlike Baby Pac-Man where you don't lose a life when you lose a ball in the pinball section, here you do lose a life if you are eaten. The locked pinball is released and you move onto the next ball.

You can see the joystick in the center of the front bar for when entering the video game section.

The two trick shots are up the right and left sides to enter the "cave" where your ball is locked and you enter the video game.

Next I will discuss my cross country trip picking up new machines.

• Jump to: