darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 262
June 2nd, 2021 at 2:04:59 PM permalink
I thought the title of this thread is really interesting as it's a play on the Who song and the owner of this forum.

I am not calling myself a Pinball Wizard as in the greatest player btw, just liked the title.

This thread will be about my machines I currently own or owned in the past.

I recently sold the following so it's been gone from my home a month

ATTACK FROM MARS.

This one is highly sought after and appreciated. It's got a simple enough storyline.

Aliens are attacking the Earth. Shoot to kill aliens while defending five cities. If successful you fly to Mars and destroy their planet.

The cities are lined up in the center. Sorry I didn't take better close up pictures as I was going to sell this ( the pics were for the buyer)

The cities are: England, Germany, France, Italy, USA.

You are randomly assigned which city to defend. You do so by hitting the three targets of the center force field which then lowers exposing a single inner force field. This one takes multiple hits to lower (as you progress through more cities it takes more hits to lower). Once lowered you need to shoot the ball down the exposed center which will trigger a very satisfying explosion of the space ship. Lots of streaming colored lights, loud sounds and vibrations.

The subwoofers on this machine are phenomenal. You will feel it. Pants cuff blowing vibration!

Once saving all five cities you get animation that flies you to Mars for the final battle which is shooting the center targets, each shot blowing another hole in Mars until it's finally destroyed.

And then, yeah, you repeat everything but at a harder level.

In the meantime there are other obstacles and animations from cows being abducted to trying to build a big-o-beam.

Hit all four aliens and you go into alien MULTI-BALL (two balls)

Lock balls for standard MULTI-BALL (three balls).

If you achieve every single obstacle course prevented you go into masters MULTI-BALL (four balls at once).

There is even a video game mode where you try to shoot as many ships landing as possible (a cross between space invaders and missile command).

Overall it's one cool machine. So popular they have built new ones just for the home market while originals continue to rise in price They usually go for $8,000+.

For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 51
June 2nd, 2021 at 2:13:52 PM permalink
I have a World Poker Tour and Tee’d off.

Neither are particularly desirable like AFM, but WPT is a good game.

I am hoping to sell both soon and get a new stern, not sure which.
darkoz
darkoz
June 2nd, 2021 at 2:18:13 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I have a World Poker Tour and Tee’d off.

Neither are particularly desirable like AFM, but WPT is a good game.

I am hoping to sell both soon and get a new stern, not sure which.

Yes I was sad to see it go but I wasn't playing it often anymore and space is limited in my home.

I replaced it with a HyperBall. I had created a separate thread for that so will port that over to this thread next.

Just felt I should have one dedicated pinball thread for myself
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 56
June 2nd, 2021 at 3:24:20 PM permalink
I've only seen AFM once at the Cleveland Greyhound Bus Station in 1999. Yeah, I should be more worried about everybody else there instead of martians, but I had half an hour. I can't remember if I got 1 billion or 4 billion on my first coin in.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
June 2nd, 2021 at 4:08:28 PM permalink
Does the box fan under the machine serve a purpose, like keeping the machine cool?
darkoz
darkoz
June 2nd, 2021 at 5:12:50 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

Does the box fan under the machine serve a purpose, like keeping the machine cool?

Are you referring to the Hyperball machine?

The fan keeps the motor cool, yes.

I am unaware of a box fan in the Attack From Mars. Not saying it's not there but I was very aware of the fan in HyperBall. It's mechanism of continuous pinball shooting at high speed required it.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
June 2nd, 2021 at 6:05:35 PM permalink
No, the AFM first two pics...it looks like a box fan on the floor underneath
darkoz
darkoz
June 2nd, 2021 at 6:40:42 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

No, the AFM first two pics...it looks like a box fan on the floor underneath

Oh, lol.

Yes that's a box fan I used to use before I put in my air conditioning. Never wanted to throw it out so it got thrown under the machine faux storage. It's not plugged in.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 106
June 2nd, 2021 at 6:44:52 PM permalink
Anybody else familiar with AFM's "sequel" machine, Revenge From Mars? It was one of two games in Williams's "Pinball 2000" series (the other being Star Wars Episiode 1), where the machine looks like a video game cabinet, and for good reason; a lot of the action consists of flipping the ball against a video screen at the top of the playfield. The games were designed to be replaced easily with newer titles, rather than having to get new machines, but they never made more than two.

There are a number of playings on YouTube - just search "Revenge From Mars Pinball"
darkoz
darkoz
June 2nd, 2021 at 6:57:18 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Anybody else familiar with AFM's "sequel" machine, Revenge From Mars? It was one of two games in Williams's "Pinball 2000" series (the other being Star Wars Episiode 1), where the machine looks like a video game cabinet, and for good reason; a lot of the action consists of flipping the ball against a video screen at the top of the playfield. The games were designed to be replaced easily with newer titles, rather than having to get new machines, but they never made more than two.

There are a number of playings on YouTube - just search "Revenge From Mars Pinball"

Yes, I owned that one first over a decade ago. I will post about it in the future. It's another amazing game.!

• Jump to: