jpprovance
jpprovance
  • Threads: 22
December 3rd, 2010 at 12:59:47 AM permalink
im really unmotivated in school. i just had this conversation with a classmate. which i have had with countless other schoolmates. it is a perfect dialogue to describe my situation. i could not write it any better.

I forget you major its mkt or mgt or something like mine... so i know there are some classes in the that are god awful ... they are uninteresting and nobody wants to be there... the term project is long tedious and annoying... the team is probably not enthused.. how do you stay motivated?
im feeling so stuck right now. i have a project due monday. make it two. i cant get myself to do them
i seriously stopped caring
[x]
11:25pm
ha...you are definitely asking the wrong person. i am like the least motivated person EVER. i'm lucky i've made it this far because i feel exactly the same way.
[You]
11:26pm
my sister did mkt at clu. she tells me she loved it. and makes me feel like there is something wrong with me. i dont get it.
[x]
11:26pm
i haven't had any projects this semester...thankfully...but idk. you just kind of have to dedicate some time and do the best you can..i have always seemed to work better under pressure though.i wait until the last minute a lot
i HATE accounting
with a passion..idk why i'm even majoring in it...but at this point all i care about is getting my degree
so i just have to suck it up and finish even though idk wtf i'm doing half of the time
[You]
11:28pm
another thing... everyone i run into seems to have a 3.0 or 3.5+ i dont get it. obviously i think they are liars but its seems a lot of people are not in my situation
[x]
11:29pm
i am!!!!
but yeah..i definitely know what you are saying
it sucks..i wish it all just came easy to me.
[You]
11:29pm
i honestly have 0 pride in my gpa. sometime i think maybe that motivates people.
i dont care my gpa is under 2.5 and i hear people say if you dont have a 3.0 you are a retard. im not a retard i just dont fucking care.
[x]
11:30pm
omg...you are reading my mind.
all i want is my fucking degree so i don't have to go back to school ever again. i really don't understand the point of college. you memorize a bunch of bs for a test and not even 2 minutes after the test its all forgotten..and not to mention most jobs train you anyways so what do you really need an education for? idk..thats just the way i see it.
but maybe its just that both of us are doing something that we really aren't passionate about..idk. i could be wrong but thats how i justify it to myself sometimes

My motivation is shot. i hate my major. but i feel everyone else probably did too and pushes through it. im just feeling stuck right now. if the Wiz does read this wonder how this makes you feel as a prof. the sad thing is as you probably know a lot of students feel like this.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 229
December 3rd, 2010 at 12:37:43 PM permalink
Firstly jp, are you of age to be on this forum? The forum rules state 21+ to get in the door.

If so, that means you are considered an adult in every corner of the globe. If you don't want to do something, make a change. Are you under some obligation/contract/visa requirement to finish a college degree? If not, consider taking a leave of absence. Travel, get a job, volunteer in a field that interests you, join the military. You can come back to school later to finish your degree if you really want it.

Now, if you just want to finish school and 'move on', what will you move on to? If there is something you want to do, (not just, "make a ton of money"), use it as motivation to do your best in school, since a college degree is a pre-requisite to most salaried positions.

If money is your motivator, imagine that you are being paid to be a student, to participate in class, produce projects, take tests, even to study. Would that motivate you to do your best in hopes of getting a raise or a promotion? Perhaps stimulate you to put in some overtime to fatten up your check?

Well the truth is, you ARE getting paid. It's just that the cash is being stored in a trust fund. How big that pile of cash is going it be, is up to you. Those who work hard and produce quality output in college will get more from their trust funds, as they will have the best opportunities for high paying professional positions.

So get out there and get it done. Produce the best quality output you can, knowing that it makes a difference.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
December 3rd, 2010 at 1:22:17 PM permalink
So how is a thread like this one of any value or in any way related to the gaming industry? If it's acknowledged, then if I put up a thread on how nice my wife's legs are and how I do not believe Oregonian women care all that much about shaving their legs and arnpits, what will people say?
Doc
Doc 
  • Threads: 45
December 3rd, 2010 at 1:30:36 PM permalink
Quote: JerryLogan

So how is a thread like this one of any value or in any way related to the gaming industry?

It is posted in the "Off-topic/Off-topic" forum. There is no particular reason for it to be related to the gaming industry.

On the other hand, it interests me no more than your wife's legs do.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 3rd, 2010 at 1:41:34 PM permalink
Quote: JerryLogan

So how is a thread like this one of any value or in any way related to the gaming industry? If it's acknowledged, then if I put up a thread on how nice my wife's legs are and how I do not believe Oregonian women care all that much about shaving their legs and arnpits, what will people say?

Same as they ever did, Jerry, same as they ever did.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
December 3rd, 2010 at 2:05:24 PM permalink
Then in my absence, I must have missed all the shameless comments about how there are actually POSTS OTHER THAN MINE that hi-jack the true meaning of the forum.

And I haven't even started drinking yet....
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
December 3rd, 2010 at 4:23:23 PM permalink
Quote: jpprovance

My motivation is shot. i hate my major. but i feel everyone else probably did too and pushes through it. im just feeling stuck right now. if the Wiz does read this wonder how this makes you feel as a prof. the sad thing is as you probably know a lot of students feel like this.

I'm probably the wrong person to be answering this, but: 5 years after you graduate almost nobody will care where you went to school or what you studied. 2 years after you graduate nobody will care what your GPA was. Think about it - how many people now care what your SAT scores were? It's the same thing.

Assuming you're heading toward the corporate employment world, it's far, far more important to be able to get your job done and be a good team player than to have done well in school. The corporate world is like what Eddie Murphy said in "Raw": "What have you done for me lately?"

Also, if you're not a senior it may still be feasible for you to switch majors without losing time. Look into it with your guidance office.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1208
December 3rd, 2010 at 6:04:22 PM permalink
Quote: jpprovance

This probably won't make you feel better, but after you graduate you'll wish you could be back in college, with endless hours of fun and reveling in the love of learning. What I wouldn't give to relive my college years. I wasted much of that time complaining as you are that I was fed up with the classroom and wanted to experience the real world. The "real life" ain't that great. Enjoy college while you still can...and take some more English writing classes.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
December 3rd, 2010 at 6:36:37 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This probably won't make you feel better, but after you graduate you'll wish you could be back in college, with endless hours of fun and reveling in the love of learning. What I wouldn't give to relive my college years. I wasted much of that time complaining as you are that I was fed up with the classroom and wanted to experience the real world. The "real life" ain't that great. Enjoy college while you still can...and take some more English writing classes.

Some people learn to love the academic environment so much that they never leave; they become grad students, then university professors, or they go to work for the university in some other capacity. In many ways, it's better than the world of work. I also think it's the LAST place many people ever experience where they were treated and evaluated solely on merit. It's also the last place where many people ever did not experience discrimination of some kind. It's a pleasant bubble, isolated from that grubby ol' world out there, and the experiences offered there are unique.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 290
December 4th, 2010 at 3:32:41 AM permalink
I can't give modern colleges a pass. They are horrible places for males to thrive these days, a trend that started in my day and accelerated so that something like 70% of the students are women now. Something is wrong, and part of it is that the men do not see why they are there, they get no help or encouragement, obstacles are put in their way, and frankly their are aspects of being male that mean it is all going to be handled poorly by the average guy. This includes a tendency to strive for independence, cut the apron strings, etc., all wrong reactions. And we guys can turn to hedonism and anti-social behavior fairly readily too, for extra problems. Colleges IMO have been given a pass for the longest time. Most of them are s**t, incapable of educating anyone, and too frequently just out for the money, praying daily for no real scrutiny. Currently, the private online types have made such a bad name for themselves they are having to scramble to avoid new regulation.

And I will say that anyone who thinks going to college and getting some degree has bought the key to prosperity is living in the past. Way in the past. Of course, the top tier of students will always do well, and in any economy.

I realize it is extremely unhelpful to this guy in many ways to say this. The best advice is to say, hey guy, pull yourself up by your bootstraps. There is in fact likely no other way for this guy to go. Yeah, I hope he is at least 21, younger than that and me talking like this is no help to him. To take an extreme example, sometimes going through the rigors of boot camp with a completely unsympathetic drill sergeant who strips you down to nothing and then rebuilds you into something else can ironically be the best thing in the world for a guy. Colleges too often, though, can just seem like they are there to tear anyone who isnt the fad category of the day down, with none of that rebuilding. They'll never get a pass from me.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder

• Jump to: