Thread Rating:

Poll

1 vote (4.54%)
5 votes (22.72%)
5 votes (22.72%)
4 votes (18.18%)
6 votes (27.27%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.54%)
No votes (0%)

22 members have voted

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 12158
January 13th, 2021 at 3:32:31 AM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Arguably, knowing how to set up and use Bluetooth/Navigation/Apple Carplay/Android Auto/wireless hotspot may be more important than knowing how to change the oil in todays automobiles. :)



But a manly man knows how to do both!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 3804
January 13th, 2021 at 8:01:22 AM permalink
I've done lots of my own car repairs. I've replaced clutches, timing chains, water pumps, and most of the bolt ons (alternators, starters, fuel pumps, etc). I've done most of the suspension parts. I put a supercharger on my Miata. I haven't had to rebuild or replace an engine or transmission. I think I could have, though. It's just nuts and bolts and following instructions.

When I was younger, I did the repairs because of money. When I was older, I did them because it was fun and I wanted to learn stuff.

Now, I don't do any of that. I can afford to pay, and it isn't fun any more and anyhow I know how to do it already so I don't need to learn. I'm just too old to go crawling around a car any more.
NO KILL I
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 12158
January 13th, 2021 at 8:33:49 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca



Now, I don't do any of that. I can afford to pay, and it isn't fun any more and anyhow I know how to do it already so I don't need to learn. I'm just too old to go crawling around a car any more.



That is about where I am. The best part is when you talk to a wise-ass service manager and shut down their nonsense. Or like I had a SUV once blew a master cylinder a week after I bought it. I tell the guy at the desk the problem and get a "what makes you think that is what it is?" Polite and probing but I was like, "because I know how brakes work and know what it is." Or another one who I told the problem was warped rotors and said it could be the ABS. I said check what you are required to, but it is the rotors. Well, guess who was right.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 166
  • Posts: 9812
January 13th, 2021 at 10:40:11 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

That is about where I am. The best part is when you talk to a wise-ass service manager and shut down their nonsense. Or like I had a SUV once blew a master cylinder a week after I bought it. I tell the guy at the desk the problem and get a "what makes you think that is what it is?" Polite and probing but I was like, "because I know how brakes work and know what it is." Or another one who I told the problem was warped rotors and said it could be the ABS. I said check what you are required to, but it is the rotors. Well, guess who was right.



I definitely agree that being less ignorant about how things work is useful, but it applies to woman as well. And pretty much everyone.

Who doesn’t want the girlfriend working on their hot rod when she knows what she’s doing?
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 74
  • Posts: 6845
January 13th, 2021 at 10:55:42 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I definitely agree that being less ignorant about how things work is useful, but it applies to woman as well. And pretty much everyone.

Who doesn’t want the girlfriend working on their hot rod when she knows what she’s doing?



The only thing that I want my wife or girlfriend doing on the car is changing the blinker fluid.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 43
  • Posts: 1790
January 13th, 2021 at 12:24:54 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

But a manly man knows how to do both!

So I guess if you’re an Amish man you’re not manly.
Don't teach an alligator how to swim.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 148
  • Posts: 18638
Thanks for this post from:
Hunterhill
January 13th, 2021 at 12:24:55 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

So on one hand you say most guys know how to change oil based on my definition of renaissance man but on the other get upset that most guys don't know how to change oil?

Sorry, but renaissance man would mean knowing both blue collar and white collar jobs. As I said, based on how important cars are to our life renaissance man needs to know a bit about the mechanics of cars. And being able to do the blue collar things is a requirement for "manly" where I come from. Instead of getting upset go learn how to change oil if it bothers you that you are not meeting the definition I have thrown down. Or just don't let it bother you. I could care less either way, I lead my own life.

First off, as I already stated, I know how to change oil, do breaks, and much more when it comes to cars, I have rebuilt and installed engines with my fathers supervision. I have oftentimes done my own auto repairs. Even nowadays, I sometime put in my own car stereo systems, amplifier and all, I have even done it without using a wiring harness. I'm always attempting to do things myself, even if I have never done it before.

I'm not upset, and it's not bothering me, it takes something much more serious and important to get me upset. This is a forum where people have discussions, this is the discussion right now. I said, I was annoyed, and I though your statement was obtuse since I know some people who I would consider manly men, men that probably haven't done brakes or changed their own oil.

Where did I say most guys know how to change their own oil? I never said that or indicated that, I have no clue what the percentage is. You simplified the definition of a renaissance man when you tossed out a textbook definition 'a person with many talents or areas of knowledge'. If that's the case, and If being able to change your oil and do your brakes is among the qualifications of being a renaissance man( a relatively easy tasks for the average guy who is interested in that) then perhaps being able to change a lightbulb, take out the trash, pump gas, put water in your radiator, mow the lawn , change a bike tire, fix a bike chain, jack up a car, jump start a car, use some power tools are all qualifications as well. In that case, every handyman and backyard mechanic and average hillbilly would a super renaissance man.

Nowadays, it seems like computers and cellphones are very important to our lives, so perhaps being able to fix those things would be more important than being able to change your oil and do your breaks(I sometime fix my own computers).

There is some guy out there saying "where I come from" all you guys are a bunch of nancy boys. I'm fairly certain that's something my father would have many years ago and didn't know better. Perhaps deservingly so given his background, many skills and talents. Hell, he would have probably kicked someone's ass for calling him a renaissance man.

I'm fairly certain most of us live our own lives, and when it comes right down to it, most of us could care less about all this, but here we are discussing it.
Last edited by: AxelWolf on Jan 13, 2021
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 148
  • Posts: 18638
January 13th, 2021 at 1:47:30 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

The only thing that I want my wife or girlfriend doing on the car is changing the blinker fluid.


♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 148
  • Posts: 18638
January 13th, 2021 at 1:47:32 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

The only thing that I want my wife or girlfriend doing on the car is changing the blinker fluid.


♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 12158
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
January 13th, 2021 at 2:06:01 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

First off, as I already stated, I know how to change oil, do breaks, and much more when it comes to cars, I have rebuilt and installed engines with my fathers supervision. I have oftentimes done my own auto repairs. Even nowadays, I sometime put in my own car stereo systems, amplifier and all, I have even done it without using a wiring harness. I'm always attempting to do things myself, even if I have never done it before.



B-R-A-K-E-S
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

  • Jump to: