25 members have voted

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
Thanks for this post from:
Hunterhill
January 11th, 2021 at 6:10:38 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I know how to and have done it (plus much more) many times, however, I think saying "A real man should both know how to and have done it in his life." is obtuse.

I have never changed my own oil. I have checked the oil and added oil more times than I care to remember. In the 70’s mother had a jalopy that was leaking.... probably took a quart twice a month. Oil changes are like $20. The oil is like $10. So I am not ‘a real man’ if I choose not to get dirty wasting my time for $10? Gotcha. AZ...
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 106
January 11th, 2021 at 6:34:09 AM permalink
For a long time, I would always go to Jiffy Lube (or some other oil change service). I switched to going to the dealer in 2009 for two reasons; one, I had bought a hybrid, and wasn't sure that a company like Jiffy Lube would do it properly; two, I switched from "every 3000 miles" to "every 6000 miles or so," so I only change it once a year now, and every other year, I combine it with a higher level servicing (yes, I do that at the dealer as well). I may switch back to Jiffy Lube for the "oil change only" years, now that I have a 100% gas guzzler again. (My first change was at the dealer, as I had to have a recall service done at the same time.)
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
January 11th, 2021 at 6:59:51 AM permalink
I changed the oil in the family car once or twice growing up. By the time I got my own vehicle, these "quick-lube" type places were everywhere, and cost about the same as changing my own oil. If an oil change was $50, I would think about doing it myself. At $20-$25, I'll have it done.

And, no Jiffy Lube, I don't need a new PCV valve and my wipers are just fine, thank you. And that air filter is good for another couple thousand miles. Just hit it with your compressed air and blow out the dead bugs and chunks of mud and stuff. It'll be fine!

Quote: SOOPOO

I have never changed my own oil. I have checked the oil and added oil more times than I care to remember. In the 70’s mother had a jalopy that was leaking.... probably took a quart twice a month.

I dunno. That sounds to me like, over the course of 2 months, you did change the oil yourself! ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
January 11th, 2021 at 7:23:14 AM permalink
Like Soopoo, I also have never changed my own oil. I go on Groupon and find a deal at a chain place like Valvoline or Jiffy Lube. I think for six quarts of Synthetic it costs about $40 with new filter. I am terribly lazy, I will do almost nothing to save $40 and I sure don't want to get dirty.
Order from chaos
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
January 11th, 2021 at 7:28:36 AM permalink
Is it any surprise to the forum that ‘GREASYJOHN” does his own oil changes?!?

And that someone with the moniker “SOOPOO” doesn’t?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 202
Hunterhill
January 11th, 2021 at 7:31:07 AM permalink
I changed my oil once- in the late 1970s. Went to a chain store and bought five quarts of oil and a filter. Went home ,
threw on some old clothes and went out to do the job only to discover I needed a special tool to remove the filter.
Made another trip and it ended up costing about $12. Jiffy lube was charging $14.95 but $3 off coupons were everywhere.
Real men understand time management and how to delegate work.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 24
petroglyph
January 11th, 2021 at 7:34:42 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I changed my oil once- in the late 1970s. Went to a chain store and bought five quarts of oil and a filter. Went home ,
threw on some old clothes and went out to do the job only to discover I needed a special tool to remove the filter.
Made another trip and it ended up costing about $12. Jiffy lube was charging $14.95 but $3 off coupons were everywhere.
Real men understand time management and how to delegate work.

You can get the filter out by jamming a screwdriver through it
It’s all about making that GTA
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 24
January 11th, 2021 at 7:38:27 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Back in the old days, I'd have to add a quart of oil with every gas fill-up. Whatever happened to that?

Technology. Engines are much tighter now
It’s all about making that GTA
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 48
January 11th, 2021 at 7:39:49 AM permalink
I change my own in the warm months and take to a cheapy oil change place in the winter.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
January 11th, 2021 at 8:44:14 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I have never changed my own oil. I have checked the oil and added oil more times than I care to remember. In the 70’s mother had a jalopy that was leaking.... probably took a quart twice a month. Oil changes are like $20. The oil is like $10. So I am not ‘a real man’ if I choose not to get dirty wasting my time for $10? Gotcha. AZ...

No, you don't "gotcha."

My point is if you want to be a well-rounded "renaissance man" you need to both know how to and have done it. Usually earlier in life.

What are you driving that an oil change is $20? That is for base oil. Most modern cars call for at least a synthetic blend. Or for 0W-20. These cost more in my parts.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: