Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 165
May 23rd, 2020 at 1:40:51 PM permalink
Quote: Venthus

I think the more useful read of this report (in terms of life saving) would be that for the people who are in the category of "hospitalized, requiring any supplemental oxygen", the treatment can be tentatively considered to be highly effective-- a drop in mortality rates from ~11% to ~2.5%.

For everybody else... probably not worth it (barring possibly T7). So: Good job, there's a viable treatment for a specific circumstance, keep plugging away at more and better options that don't have such a limited window of effectiveness.

Patients treated early on don't progress to the stage where the drug doesn't work. I realize that is a generalization but it's promising on several fronts. We now know the virus can be beaten, we just need to tinker with the right cocktails.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 226
May 23rd, 2020 at 1:46:30 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Patients treated early on don't progress to the stage where the drug doesn't work. I realize that is a generalization but it's promising on several fronts. We now know the virus can be beaten, we just need to tinker with the right cocktails.

There is a practical problem with that involving Remdesvir

It can only be administered via IV. It requires a hospital stay

How is early stage patients not sick enough for hospitalization going to feel with a 5 to ten day hospital stay.

Remdesvir needed efficacy on severely sick patients for it to be a good treatment for the pandemic

But yes, hope wise it raises some that we can eventually beat this
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 17
May 23rd, 2020 at 3:23:40 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Didn't the Dow jump 1000 points on this fake news early this week?

No it did not.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 165
May 23rd, 2020 at 4:05:52 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

No it did not.

The old Fake fake news trick again?
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 138
May 23rd, 2020 at 4:51:40 PM permalink
Are the people who helped fund aka investors directly responsible for the deaths considering they wouldnít have died without the tests
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 12
May 23rd, 2020 at 5:01:45 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

There is a practical problem with that involving Remdesvir

It can only be administered via IV. It requires a hospital stay

How is early stage patients not sick enough for hospitalization going to feel with a 5 to ten day hospital stay.

Remdesvir needed efficacy on severely sick patients for it to be a good treatment for the pandemic

But yes, hope wise it raises some that we can eventually beat this

Bold added.

But the study says it is that if the patient needs supplemental oxygen but isnít on a ventilator. I mean itís got to be bad news for the stock price of the company, but it seems like good news for people that might contract COVID.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
Thanks for this post from:
rdw4potus
May 23rd, 2020 at 5:50:55 PM permalink
If I test positive for COVID-19 I want Remdesivir. NOT A CLOSE DECISION.

I'm surprised that on this math laden gambling website people do not understand the difference between "not statistically significant" versus "not true". I believe Remdesivir will be shown to lower death rate and hospitalization rates SOMEWHAT, as the available evidence supports that.

If we believe that without Remdesivir, the death rate is around 1%, and say Remdesivir decreases it by 20%, If you have 1000 Rx'd with Remdesiver 8 will die. And 1000 untreated, 10 will die. I'll let one of the brighter math minds tell me how many I'd need in a study to prove the hypothesis that Remdesivir helps decrease deaths by 20%. But it must be in the 10's of thousands. That powerful a study AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
May 23rd, 2020 at 5:59:11 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Bad news

Remdesvir has turned out to be a dud!

Dud?

"Preliminary results of this trial suggest that a 10-day course of remdesivir was superior to placebo in the treatment of hospitalized patients with Covid-19."

"The Kaplan-Meier estimates of mortality by 14 days were 7.1% with remdesivir and 11.9% with placebo."

That is nearly a 25% reduction in the mortality rate.

"Patients in the remdesivir group had a shorter time to recovery than patients in the placebo group (median, 11 days, as compared with 15 days; rate ratio for recovery,"

That is a 27% shorter time to recovery in the remdesivir group.

"The odds of improvement in the ordinal scale score were higher in the remdesivir group, as determined by a proportional odds model at the day 15 visit, than in the placebo group."

"Given the strength of the results about remdesivir, these findings were deemed to be of immediate importance for the care of patients still participating in the trial as well as for those outside the trial who might benefit from treatment with remdesivir."

"Remdesivir was superior to placebo in shortening the time to recovery in adults hospitalized with Covid-19 and evidence of lower respiratory tract infection."

"These preliminary findings support the use of remdesivir for patients who are hospitalized with Covid-19 and require supplemental oxygen therapy."
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 101
May 23rd, 2020 at 7:52:44 PM permalink
Fauci and the NIH receive lots and lots and lots of funding from Gilead and other companies alike. Does it surprise you that certain companies and drugs are dismissed by the NIH ?
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
May 23rd, 2020 at 9:44:35 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

Fauci and the NIH receive lots and lots and lots of funding from Gilead and other companies alike. Does it surprise you that certain companies and drugs are dismissed by the NIH ?

From Sharyl Attkison's "Full Measure " program last Sunday:
"When 'Full Measure' cross-referenced those on the U.S. COVID-19 Advisory Board with links to drug companies, they found 11 members. Of those 11, nine members were linked to Gilead.
Upon further examination, Full Measure found seven more members with links to Gilead in the past, including two in leadership, Dr. Roy M. Gulick and Dr. Henry Masur."
And that doesn't even take up Joseph Grogan. From the Intercept: "For another task force member, the profits could come from the coronavirus itself. Joseph Grogan was a lobbyist for the pharmaceutical giant Gilead Sciences before he joined the Trump administration as director of the Domestic Policy Council and led the Drug Pricing and Innovation Work Group."

• Jump to: