Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
March 22nd, 2020 at 3:02:07 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

So now the evil Chinese Communists are throwing the sick in incinerators? The Basterds.

Do you have a link? I thought they were just incinerating the dead.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
March 22nd, 2020 at 3:48:57 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Do you have a link? I thought they were just incinerating the dead.

Ask onenickelmiracle. He is the one who stated it. I just commented on it.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
March 22nd, 2020 at 5:25:06 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Ask onenickelmiracle. He is the one who stated it. I just commented on it.

BBB mentioned it iirc
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 22nd, 2020 at 7:49:57 PM permalink
Compassionate use of Gillead's Remdesivir now only for pregnant women and children under 18 years old.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/22/gilead-suspends-access-to-experimental-covid-19-drug-remdesivir/

I want to assume the drug is pretty effective, but it really primarily means their supplies are being depleted and the company is being overwhelmed, and the company doesn't think the drug is dangerous nor useless. I cannot find new to scare me completely off, I've been looking, and I don't find news the other avenues are so hot or immediate or for some, even effective.

Beyond that, have been seeing more stories about how habits and practices before COVID19 might not be the same as before afterward(afraid to travel, etc.)
LVJackal
LVJackal
  • Threads: 4
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
March 23rd, 2020 at 2:45:35 AM permalink
I too use Robinhood and am in the "poor, undereducated" category. I piddled around with $500 attempting to "day trade" and while I knew I was underfunded to pull it off- that went poorly. Not disastrously poorly, but unprofitable.

I picked up names I knew at cheap prices yet had no idea about their inner workings, long term strategies, etc. Honestly still don't truly. A prime example of this is Moviepass... cheap, good idea, chunked $25 bux in it... and promptly watched it catch flames :) one of my prouder moments.

For a small window, (I repaid stupid younger me choices) i had established additional cash reserves, planning to 401k all overages at the turn of the year, then Covid hit. Since then, those reserves are being unabashedly dumped into the market.. My mindset however, is not for today, but two years from now.

My gambling is in calls on stocks to reach a target goal. Puts are expensive and carry too much risk. Look at it as Kelly investing.

I have no idea if this helps you at all.. as I too readily admit, I am also an idiot. And in about 2-3 hours, I am going to lose a theoretical fortune, at least until a stimulus package is agreed on. However, I have faith, 24 months from now, if even some semblance of normalcy returns, these choices have enormous potential return.

Additionally - am seeking more companies... my bubble is limited to the gambling world. I snap called William Hill at 1.50 and am prepared to snap call anything below $5 on MGM - although the market appears to hate them with a passion...

Be safe
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 23rd, 2020 at 3:02:46 AM permalink
I'm not sure if anyone knows anything. For example, when to sell. If you don't know when to sell, that's kind of a problem. To have an idea to sell at a certain price, but really have no proof it's a good price, that's risky. I had heard someone with pretty good ethics say something like "stupid money isn't that stupid and smart money isn't that smart, and they both get screwed up when they listen to smart money". Nobody can even prove what is and what isn't a good bet at all, someone can make you believe they have proof, but it's not proof. Even saying the market has historically gone up, and you can expect the market to keep going up in the future decades from now, is not necessarily true, just probably true, and it ignores all the stocks taken off the markets.

I'm not risking puts, calls, options, nothing like that, I do not understand them nor the risks. I think I'll wind up being a fundamentals and speculation trader until I understand analytics, which I'm not even ready to begin with.
LVJackal
LVJackal
  • Threads: 4
March 23rd, 2020 at 3:32:34 AM permalink
Oh, I don't believe any truly do. You can base upon past performance with this set of criteria or what not. But its all spaghetti thrown at the wall.

We do know however, throughout it's entire history, that the market overall - will go up. Who lives and who dies on any given day is purely a guess- albeit maybe an educated one- but still...

Going by bankroll - not truly kelly in my case- simplifies things - I nabbed AMD, a company I knew and felt was undervalued - remember i'm a dumbarse- at $14- it spiked up to $16 - this was now such a significant portion of my early bankroll, i locked in the win. Nevermind it shot above $40 - now $38.

If it helps, I am of the impression, the market overall, is irrational, either too brazen or too fearful, and loves sociopaths who seek nothing more than making a buck. It is focused on NOW for a large portion, and then there is that certain segment that drove a price up higher than true value only to see the rest jump on the bandwagon moments too late.

My criteria now is: will it be here two years from now? what was the price two years ago? can i stomach the loss based on my confidence level? Then I gamble with calls... fixed price (and loss) ... either way... in two years, I either be no different, panhandling, or slightly better prepared for retirement.. or perhaps I will succumb to COVID... stocks are entertainment with a built in belief we maybe able to beat them.. much like Blackjack- which isn't available at the moment...
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 23rd, 2020 at 5:00:08 AM permalink
I made a couple moves late Friday, selling the impulse KO and replacing it with HD and GILD. HD already down embarrassingly, KO basically unchanged, while GILD moving up with speculation. Seems like a wash for now, but it kills me to see one go down. Keeping half of KO at the time wasn't even something I could have thought of, history of gambling exercises induced this. Usually you just cash out completely, cannot put one ticket in 2 machines, kind of caught making an irrational couple of moves. Having cash just sitting there, will have to remember as an option too. I knew it was, was my original plan for Friday. I'd say I just wanted some action to try seeing something positive happen. If I can get back on the streets, I'll probably withdraw most of my funds and find some stocks to hold onto. I really can't afford to lose all this money, but I'm doing it anyway too because me saying I can't afford to lose it is bs just like the recommendation to not risk what you can't afford to lose. I'm not losing it all anyway so it doesn't matter.

It's better than all the money I have given away in what I had thought were loans to a bunch of jerks and w#0res.
Hope the shorts on GILD get tired of being pushed back and that stock gets into the 90s by the end of the week.
Just looking back at my past trades, I must be a psychotic break or multi-personality drunk and not an idiot.
Last edited by: onenickelmiracle on Mar 23, 2020
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 23rd, 2020 at 8:23:19 AM permalink
There are 284 days left, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm realizing I've made mistakes after everything else, just because I'm staring at these charts almost every minute, and I wind up caught in the day and making emotional reactions. 15% more losses to go before I have to pull the plug.

Panic selling and FOMO buying 2 mistakes I have made. Pretty much I think once I buy a stock, I might as well not buy any more and I'll be better off looking for the next one to buy instead of worrying about the ups and downs of individual days.
Suited89
Suited89
  • Threads: 3
March 23rd, 2020 at 9:09:34 AM permalink
I would never 'invest' in options, derivatives or their ilk.The real-world shark-tank. Stick with stocks.

When in College 40+ years ago I traded my knowledge of Chemistry for Investing. The business majors needed to pass Chem, and I wanted to learn how to make my money work for me. Fair trade. They passed, I'm doing rather well financially.

One of those ideas about investing was to take a look at the bills you get every month, and see about investing in them. Consider that even if you can only afford 100 shares, its still a discount on the bill at hand.

Regards
8Geee
some people need to reimagine their thinking

• Jump to: