Thread Rating:

onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
March 19th, 2020 at 6:10:15 AM permalink
Now I have said that, I have some room for improvement.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
March 19th, 2020 at 12:38:55 PM permalink
Does anyone use Robinhood/? I have been getting a warning about Pattern day trading. The icon for patter day trading shows 3, the 4th is a lock. I bought the same stock 3 times today, and I was sure it said I would be able to sell it tomorrow. I had bought and sold 2 casino stocks 2 days ago, they are on the list. In fact, it was a stupid mistake, because once I bought PENN, I had to choose to not sell it. I didn't like holding it, and the next day I was afraid to sell it before I went to sleep during the day, and I lost a good chunk for that. If I'm going to be trading stocks, I cannot sleep when the markets are open, and I cannot have my account locked Advice?

Second shot at myself, I am not diversified enough, or at all really. Way too much exposure to one stock which can implode. Where do you guys get your ideas about which stocks to look at?
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 175
  • Posts: 9956
Thanks for this post from:
FleaStiff
March 19th, 2020 at 1:02:32 PM permalink
Speaking only for myself, I buy stock in companies that make products I use.
Harley, Tesla, ATT, Disney, WWE, some cable companies and their spinoffs.
I tend to stay away from companies who wander far from their original status.
If a company started as a telephone provider but is now manufacturing refrigerators, I tend to stay away.
I'm a Ronco style investor. I set it and forget it.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 8409
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
March 19th, 2020 at 1:27:49 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Does anyone use Robinhood/? I have been getting a warning about Pattern day trading. The icon for patter day trading shows 3, the 4th is a lock. I bought the same stock 3 times today, and I was sure it said I would be able to sell it tomorrow. I had bought and sold 2 casino stocks 2 days ago, they are on the list. In fact, it was a stupid mistake, because once I bought PENN, I had to choose to not sell it. I didn't like holding it, and the next day I was afraid to sell it before I went to sleep during the day, and I lost a good chunk for that. If I'm going to be trading stocks, I cannot sleep when the markets are open, and I cannot have my account locked Advice?

Sounds like you want to be a day-trader. I don't think you want to do this and be self-taught, but I don't know where to send you.

Quote:

Second shot at myself, I am not diversified enough, or at all really. Way too much exposure to one stock which can implode.

the first thing you learn with the self-taught method. You can check the 'learned that' box now.

Quote:

Where do you guys get your ideas about which stocks to look at?

Regular investors usually decide 'buy and hold' is the way to go. If you want to do that, just about anything you buy *now* that isn't weird should work out great; buy funds instead of stocks for diversification. But you should be thinking about holding for years. 5 years is risky, 10 years more safe but still has risk, 15 more like it, go for 20 though and 30-40 years produces miraculous results even if your only investment is your house.

Haven't heard this stuff before? Read the newsletters from places like Vanguard and T Rowe Price

Hey, I know I started a thread about gambling with stocks, but for the most part I am a very serious investor.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
March 19th, 2020 at 1:33:33 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Speaking only for myself, I buy stock in companies that make products I use.
Harley, Tesla, ATT, Disney, WWE, some cable companies and their spinoffs.
I tend to stay away from companies who wander far from their original status.
If a company started as a telephone provider but is now manufacturing refrigerators, I tend to stay away.
I'm a Ronco style investor. I set it and forget it.



I pretty much think for me, I need a starting point, then can search information, compare and contrast multiple sources and media. That's how I would do it looking into horser acing for big races. I'm totally stressed out after today, it was a roller coaster for me. I am not diversified even close, that has to change. I thought today, a heart attack from this could be foreseeable one day. Sex didn't scare me to quit smoking, this could. I know I'm doing a lot of things wrong. I know someone who wanted to AP and she thought she could learn as she went, and it led to a break-up. I might have to sit on the sidelines like recommended waiting and learning more first. I'm known to make mistakes, but I make more proper moves than bad, I'll wind up doing the same with this, or I'll go deliver grub hub or work for the WPA. &(
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
March 19th, 2020 at 1:36:52 PM permalink
Thank You Odiousgambit. I could be dead in 14 days, need to take some risks, just not as many as I was. This is just like my exgf, I knew what I was doing was fake, but I thought it would be good for awhile. Better dump it before I regret it.

I have not lost much money, was ahead at least for 9 days. Down approximately 3%, but began to worry today. Pattern day trading is not an option at this moment. I may think of maybe occasionally buying and dumping a stock in the same day if I find one I think is worth a gamble.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 175
  • Posts: 9956
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
March 19th, 2020 at 2:53:54 PM permalink
Just be sure to pay attention to tax liabilities. Many people forget their Uncle Sam is a silent partner in every trade and will get his due.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
March 19th, 2020 at 3:14:40 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Just be sure to pay attention to tax liabilities. Many people forget their Uncle Sam is a silent partner in every trade and will get his due.


I'll try to be in the highest bracket I can. Kind of hard seeing that sitting home for a year. I'm not going to hide all year God willing. Guess if anyone has a rich uncle they don't like, maybe I can go check on them for you. *cough* *cough* ;)
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
Joined: Nov 30, 2014
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 396
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
March 19th, 2020 at 3:24:22 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I am not diversified even close, that has to change.


This might help:



I don't know if they are all the same, but I think their close.

And the page that came from, (although it's a Standard And Poors chart), might be of interest to you:

https://www.simplysafedividends.com/intelligent-income/posts/2-how-to-build-a-dividend-portfolio
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
  • Threads: 209
  • Posts: 8000
March 19th, 2020 at 3:48:11 PM permalink
"If everyone is greedy, be fearful, and if fearful, be greedy"

If I were to say, I think everyone is irrational, then be rational. Ace2 is right, I'm not playing. I want to so bad though, so therefore I'm greedy. Irrational and greedy, or am I irrational and fearful. I want to pull out, but I can't so I must be greedy. Everyone is fearful, but is that rational.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.

  • Jump to: