Thread Rating:

Suited89
Suited89
  • Threads: 3
March 20th, 2020 at 11:00:58 PM permalink
Today was Quad-Witching day. Unbelievable market activity.
DJ = 880 Million
NASDAQ100 = 300 Million
S&P500 - 1.0 Billion
NYSE = 9.0 Billion

NOTE: many of these numbers overlap. The NYSE and NASDAQ100 have the least.

If I am an idiot, it appears I'm not alone ;o)
some people need to reimagine their thinking
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 307
March 21st, 2020 at 2:58:34 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I was not able to hold onto Coke, just couldn't stomach the loss of two days and wanted to get into something else. If I lose 35% of my initial investment, I'm getting out completely.

'Investment' is the wrong word for a day-trader - I think, 'wagering bankroll' is more like it. 

If you can't stomach losses , yeah, get out I think

If you really are going to be an investor and not a day-trader, as I've said before you need to be getting some advice from reliable places - for one thing this will help you spot the quacks out there and their advice ... here's this of the better variety from TR Price,

Quote: link

When the stock market takes a dip, moving to cash can be a tempting option for investors seeking a respite from volatility.

However, cashing out of a declining market could come at a cost....

A tale of two investors

To see the benefit of staying invested through all types of markets, let’s consider two hypothetical investors—the first sticks to his investment strategy despite market fluctuations, and the second becomes anxious during volatile markets and jumps in and out. 

Both investors contributed $2,000 each quarter to their investment accounts. The steady investor (bright blue in the chart below) kept her money and ongoing contributions invested, riding out the stock market’s ups and downs. The anxious investor (dark blue) moved his account balance and contributions to cash when stocks dropped 10% or more in a quarter and only jumped back in to equities after a fourth consecutive quarter of positive returns. This behavior was repeated throughout several market cycles...
Both began investing $2,000 each quarter beginning 2000 through 2019.

Note to piss us guys off the smart investor is a chick and the dummy is a guy. Well, could be some truth to that LOL but the point is, check out the chart

https://www.troweprice.com/personal-investing/planning-and-research/t-rowe-price-insights/retirement-and-planning/personal-finance/the-high-cost-of-cashing-out-.html

OK, so maybe you don't want to be an investor but a day-trader. What is not shown is how such would kick everybody's butt if he could do it perfectly. So his argument might be you don't have to be perfect, but at the same time *you yourself* can confirm 'it ain't easy'. Please believe a successful day-trader strives to buy low and sell high which is the opposite of what you are telling me you are winding up doing.

Most of the time you hear nobody can really do it, not in the long run. I don't know, but I do think for sure the simple thing of 'not selling in a down market' has worked out well for me. That simple thing makes that chart look good too, it's not the effect of trading well. And let me repeat: I'm pretty sure for day trading the self-taught method is not the way to go. 
Last edited by: odiousgambit on Mar 21, 2020
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 211
Thanks for this post from:
odiousgambit
March 21st, 2020 at 5:25:06 AM permalink
The first problem, I do not have $25,000 to day trade unless I'm limited staying to 3 day trades in 5 days. Margin doesn't count I don't think. We'll see once the real world opens up, hopefully soon. Doesn't look good, our hospitals don't even have the proper masks for nurses. I cannot believe the hospitals are unwilling to pay and the nurses are risking their lives for it. Well American manufacturing would be nice right now, it's a joke this country is "powerful".

I am not ashamed to sell the stock, I don't know what I was thinking buying it, I switched it for another(HD) if you want to sell it short. If people are home, they could do some painting, remodeling and redecorating, might as well. Ut's a company which even can still sell things people need now besides bunker supplies imo. Maybe it can go lower, everything can go to zero this year.

I personally know I have made a mistake on a speculative stock, that one perhaps I should have sold by now(GILD). I know it's speculative, but I liked the recommendation. It has been used in China in trials, not a miracle, but it has been used. It's not a "silver bullet" I read somewhere on the internet(I'm not Kentry) because if it was clearly working, the trial would be stopped and they would give it to everyone in the study. When I was learning this, I was not aware the Chinese might have just disposed of all the sick they could find in the incinerators to stop the spread. So these stocks rarely make money on these things, and because medical care is going to be stressed, we don't know what the insurers will want to pay for, things are going to be stressed the drug companies are worried. I think something better will come along, but remsdivir really does seem to be the only hope and "the company will be reluctant to charge too much". It's far along, I think it will the first drug used, the generic malaria medicine I don't think will work. If it does, that's a problem for the speculation. Another bad thing about the drug I didn't know, is it has to be administered by IV for 10 days, that's a lot troublesome. There is a lot of bad news about it lately, but I don't see society coming back the way the others think. If it does soon, I'm happier than can be, but again, economy, People might not be able to leave their homes because they're broke.

This thing was something I didn't even imagine trying, I'd have been more careful if it was, these requirements wouldn't have been such a problem. I will be doing a lot of reading and investigating during out prison sentence. If I could jump right into DT, it may have been worse. Right now, there is almost literally nothing i can think of to do, that's fine, I don't want to be one of those people called employees. I might have to, don't know what. There are a lot of people out there not knowing what to do at all.

I was going to have someone come work at the house who had no money at all, but I just wound up lending him money because I was too afraid to become exposed to anything. I stood about 5 feet away from him in the open air, and felt it was maybe too close. I'll be sick in 4 to 8 days or hopefully not at all, but the longer I wait to get food, when I go finally go out there will be more sick. Our country is not moving fast enough for sure, I don't think. All I know, all the "money saved" buying junk with no quality and having them have potential to kill so many in the world by their bad actions, I hope people don't want to buy stuff made in China when this is over.

The chart about going in and out, not necessarily an entirely truthful story. We don't know what the person dipping in and out was doing with the money when it wasn't in the stock market. There are other ways to invest besides stocks clicking buttons. If I could be out there in the free world, I could beat the stock market, but it would take more than just clicking and that's fine if I live. Anyone with any kind of high blood pressure or cardiovascular issues is at a 10% death rate. I'm not there, but feel like I'm close. I might not even be able to physically handle the stress trading would be, such high pressure.

We'll see what happens, I've written enough.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 307
March 21st, 2020 at 6:24:18 AM permalink
some snips

Quote: onenickelmiracle

... Margin doesn't count I don't think.

You have a margin account and have been buying on margin?

Quote:

I don't know what I was thinking buying it, I switched it for another

OK that can make sense, a mistake can just be sunk cost
Quote:

I know it's speculative, but I liked the recommendation. It has been used in China in trials, not a miracle, but it has been used. It's not a "silver bullet" I read somewhere on the internet

Beware most of all of recommended stocks. The problem [assuming no scam] is that you get the news late. Probably if you had got the inside info that it was going to be a good stock to buy , or at least only a small group had the info, and those folks might have still been in on it at the big risk stage, buying then would [we know now] really paid off. You and I are going to be getting this news probably because somebody saw it jump. You and I are getting the news too late even if there is no manipulation going on.
Quote:

We'll see what happens, I've written enough.

yeah, maybe some of that was 'too much information' . Nobody is paying me to give seminars or write books either, so don't pay too much attention to me but do start to get some valuable advice somewhere, not from the first guy blowing smoke on youtube or whatever
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 21st, 2020 at 6:32:48 AM permalink
We'll see. I think I was sleep writing.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 22nd, 2020 at 3:40:16 AM permalink
I keep noticing all the crypto currencies chart's look exactly the same, always seem to all be so similar at the same times. They're just your investment crack. I literally have no idea how anyone predicts them. The only thing I can think of is geography and demographics, but then you have to have an idea what those people in those countries at those times will think to do each day.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 22nd, 2020 at 6:51:44 AM permalink
I wonder how the traditional vices will fare through this, many give them up permanently or just temporarily. Tobacco, alcohol? Tobacco surely some, sounds easier to think smoking goes down more permanently than alcohol. You're going to have to think the smokers will be a lot of the deaths if this virus has broken out like Italy. I'm seeing people talk about themselves or family getting it now. PM $61, Morning Star says fair value $102, sounds hard to believe, both might be too high.
Suited89
Suited89
  • Threads: 3
March 22nd, 2020 at 8:31:48 AM permalink
In a State like CT, 'liquor stores' must close. But beer & wine can be purchased at grocery. States like NY B&W at delis. Hard liquor drinkers are in a bind.

Cigs are available at corner stores and grocery. Not a problem.

Effective Mon. 8PM all non-essential stores must close.

Home Improvement
Grocery
Pharmacy
Corner Stores
Medical Supply
Fast Food (drive-thru or home delivery only)*

* Certain restaraunts with a high take-out % allowed to open, thus your local Chinese is open, your local Italian probably not. Even the bagel shops kinda get messed up. Of the two in my town one remains open due to lack of permanent seating, the other must close having permanent seating... both do a good take-out biz.

Man this neighborhood is tough...
I asked a cop where I could buy toilet paper.
He said its not where you can buy it, its if you get home alive.

Suited89
some people need to reimagine their thinking
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 178
March 22nd, 2020 at 12:09:57 PM permalink
So now the evil Chinese Communists are throwing the sick in incinerators? The Basterds.

• Jump to: