Thread Rating:

MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 23
April 8th, 2021 at 7:01:00 AM permalink
I had an order placed to buy TSLA at 673 before the market opened. Seemed like a safe entry, and it was, but I sold it quickly at 675.

AMZN looked good anytime it dipped below 3210 but I didn't bite as I was already waiting on the TSLA fill at those times.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
MDawg
MDawg
April 8th, 2021 at 7:05:50 AM permalink
By the way, I figured out another way to deal with the wash sale rule, especially in a stock account where you are holding long term shares and trading additional shares. Stop trading the stock in question at least 30 days before the end of the year, and that way the ongoing basis for any wash sale rule triggered trades will not be carried through to the next year and you won't have to worry about inability to deduct any "losses" in that year.

Again, for purposes of trading, "losses" include say, buying 100 shares of stock X at X price, then averaging in 100 more shares at X-10 price, and then selling the entire 200 shares at a price that technically books a loss on the first lot which is overcome by the profit on the second lot. If the wash sale rule intervenes, because you re-bot the same stock that you sold at a "loss" within 30 days, then you're in real trouble tax wise because the "loss" on the first lot would be disallowed.

This is somewhat technical, but believe me, you'll learn the hard way if your accountant starts asking you how you want him to deal with the wash sale rule, if you end up becoming an active trader.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
MDawg
MDawg
April 9th, 2021 at 7:54:02 AM permalink
I just did the same trade as yesterday, lol, TSLA 673 to 675.

I had a lowball orders in for both AMZN and TSLA, and AMZN took off but TSLA dipped sufficiently.
MDawg
MDawg
April 9th, 2021 at 8:42:55 AM permalink
TSLA, 670 to 672. Cha'ching!
MDawg
MDawg
April 11th, 2021 at 5:41:34 PM permalink
I might have been looking at futures left over from Friday, but they seemed bright green at about 3pm PST, and now they are red. I should have known - my accounts hit an ATH Friday (granted, partly due to trading, but those trading dollars had not a whole lot of over all effect) - and whenever a new ATH is hit in my accounts, typically, the next day is a red day, a least for a while.

Who knows, futures may turn green by morning. The market may open red and close green. We shall see.

In any case, there may be good dip buying opps on Monday. At the moment these two digit negative numbers are nothing serious especially given last week's runup.
MDawg
MDawg
April 12th, 2021 at 10:00:05 AM permalink
AMZN dipped rather red for a while. Now it's rather green. I missed all that though, didn't execute any trades today.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 111
April 13th, 2021 at 6:14:04 AM permalink
Iím trying a trade today. Bought DKNG at $57.90 and put sell order in at $59.50. Tried for 100 shares but only got a partial fill of 50 shares. So hoping for massive $80 in the bank later...
MDawg
MDawg
April 13th, 2021 at 7:55:02 AM permalink
Good luck SooPoo. Due to the possible issue with the J&J vaccine, stay at home stocks like AMZN are UP today! TSLA up too!

I am not trading today it doesn't look like.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 111
April 13th, 2021 at 8:16:12 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Good luck SooPoo. Due to the possible issue with the J&J vaccine, stay at home stocks like AMZN are UP today! TSLA up too!

I am not trading today it doesn't look like.

. Hopefully thatís because you are meeting up with Wiz to make an easy $2k. I booked my $80. Going to spend $25 of it on robust sushi lunch.

Iím up on TSLA and AMZN. But I also own J and J. Pretty much a wash for me so far today.
MDawg
MDawg
April 13th, 2021 at 10:31:09 AM permalink
I am hoping that the connection between the rare blood clot disorder and the J&J vaccine turns out to be disproved. Only 6 out of millions of doses is statistically pretty small though.

AMZN was good for a trade when it dipped to the 3400s but by the time I noticed it, it was already at 3413 so I passed as far as trading it.

• Jump to: