Thread Rating:

ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 95
Thanks for this post from:
TDVegas
January 26th, 2020 at 3:12:33 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

Now I saw his daughter died too. Aye. Tragic.

Apparently flying with another parent and his daughter to basketball game. Plus pilot? Or did Kobe fly on his own?

I think "they" reported that it was his helicopter, but it had its own pilot.

New reports say there were nine people on board, including the pilot as well as the baseball coach at Orange Coast College plus his wife and daughter (who was one of Kobe's daughter's basketball teammates).
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
January 26th, 2020 at 3:19:51 PM permalink
Friend flies helicopters for a living. Was with private company in Afghanistan. Then for Niagara Falls tours. Now for medical transports. I've thought about going with him when he did the Niagara Falls tours but never felt they were safe, despite his assurances. In residency, we would go pick up sick babies from other hospitals. I then refused to go if it was by helicopter. Just a few weeks ago two prominent Buffalo businessmen were killed in a helicopter crash.
I am anti helicopter, even if I don't have the exact data.

I play basketball with a kid, around 19, named Kobe. I assume he was named after Bryant, even though Kobe Bryant was pretty young when he was born.

Saddest part is his young daughter was with him. May they RIP.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 47
January 26th, 2020 at 3:45:03 PM permalink
I really have no interest in riding a helicopter, they seem really dangerous.

A few years ago the Medivac that takes off from the hospital attached to Cesars AC crashed, killing the pilot.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 0
January 26th, 2020 at 5:04:58 PM permalink
I used to say that I would never fly in a helicopter because it was 1 engine....no back up. The reality is that even if the engine fails completely, auto gyration should allow any helicopter to land safely. You just need a place to put it down. This crash looked violent....must have been a lot more than just engine failure.

There have been several helicopter tour crashes here in Vegas. Pass for me.
Lovecomps
Lovecomps
  • Threads: 77
January 26th, 2020 at 6:58:45 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Sometimes being rich is a curse.

"Money's the world's curse!"

"May the Lord smight me with it...AND MAY I NEVER RECOVER!"

-Tevye, from Fiddler On the Roof.

Seriously, the whole thing brings back memories of Thurman Munson.
The best things in life are not free.
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
  • Threads: 18
January 26th, 2020 at 7:12:28 PM permalink

The reality is that even if the engine fails completely, auto gyration should allow any helicopter to land safely. You just need a place to put it down. This crash looked violent...

Auto gyration is not a reliable maneuver due to being highly difficult.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 0
January 26th, 2020 at 8:03:22 PM permalink
Quote: SiegfriedRoy

Auto gyration is not a reliable maneuver due to being highly difficult.

Well...if that's the case, I'll pass on the helicopter or single engine props. I don't need a lot when I'm up in the air....but one back up system is a must. The pictures showed the wreckage splashed all over the place. Looks like they had no chance. Can't imagine the terror they felt.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
Thanks for this post from:
Forager
January 26th, 2020 at 8:54:48 PM permalink
I didn't like him after his sex scandal, would like to be super crass about it, but I'll wait until tomorrow when it's time. Hate seeing him licking his lips.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
  • Threads: 18
January 26th, 2020 at 9:59:57 PM permalink

Well...if that's the case, I'll pass on the helicopter or single engine props. I don't need a lot when I'm up in the air....but one back up system is a must. The pictures showed the wreckage splashed all over the place. Looks like they had no chance. Can't imagine the terror they felt.

Iím 100% with you. I pass on choppers and single engines like a plague.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
January 26th, 2020 at 11:53:14 PM permalink
Very sad. Not a Kobe fan, but he was a great athlete. Shocking when someone who has it all dies young. I thought of John Kennedy, Jr.

Never been in a helicopter. It seems as if few people survive a crash landing.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.

• Jump to: