darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
September 3rd, 2019 at 12:38:26 PM permalink
A fascinating tale of big ticket comic book criminals.

I dont mean supervillains. I mean people dealing with rare vintage comic books in a criminal manner

Trust me, there is more than one twist here including a shocking one late in the article.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/22/8870089/texas-comic-book-heist-anthony-chiofalo-tadano
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
September 3rd, 2019 at 1:00:12 PM permalink
Sadly, there are many worse stories than that. A Colorado tax collector ended up stealing the collection of a guy who was found cheating on his taxes.
My favorite story, which struck pretty close to home, was when a Jackson Heights comic shop was found to be a money laundering operation run by an IRA fugitive and funded by robbing armored cars. There was even a renegade Catholic Priest in the mix. I expected this to be made into a movie, but not yet.
Then we have Doug Schmell, a Long Island attorney disbarred for stealing his clients money to assemble one of the best collections money could buy.
Danny Dupchek who infamously altered books without disclosure.
When a family took a box of rare comics their father had collected to a dealer, they found out that many of the more valuable books had been sold years before. No one could figure out what happened until a link was established from the person who sold the books and a company that did the families oil burners. They were robbed of almost a million dollars and had no idea.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ameliaharry654
ameliaharry654
  • Threads: 1
September 24th, 2019 at 10:22:08 PM permalink
You are absolutely right.
  • Jump to: