Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 218
Thanks for this post from:
wellwellwell
June 10th, 2019 at 2:29:06 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

So 70% of the glaciers have disappeared since 1850 in that location and you are celebrating victory?

If you studied science you would know that glaciers have been disappearing for 10,000 years. Glaciers cut much of the rough area in the eastern USA. The have been receding since the last ice age.

Quote:

Thats according to that same article

There is a difference between getting an estimate wrong and getting an entire theory wrong.

See above. The scientists were totally wrong. And you want to know why I do not believe in GW? It is because they keep putting out this nonsense, which the GW believers lap up. The believers tell us to "listen to the scientists, don't dare question them!" And, AGAIN, the scientists got it wrong.

The only "theory" is noticing we are in a 10,000 year warming cycle. The famous hockey-stick uptick probably just means we are near the end of it.

Quote:

Like when a cancer patient given 6 months to live and actually dies in 12 you go around scoffing at the doctors because their estimate for the inevitable was wrong, even though the overall prediction was correct

No, not really. Cancer is easily measurable and provable. GW is not. To call GW "science" is to call People Magazine "journalism."
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 215
June 10th, 2019 at 3:06:52 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If you studied science you would know that glaciers have been disappearing for 10,000 years. Glaciers cut much of the rough area in the eastern USA. The have been receding since the last ice age.

See above. The scientists were totally wrong. And you want to know why I do not believe in GW? It is because they keep putting out this nonsense, which the GW believers lap up. The believers tell us to "listen to the scientists, don't dare question them!" And, AGAIN, the scientists got it wrong.

The only "theory" is noticing we are in a 10,000 year warming cycle. The famous hockey-stick uptick probably just means we are near the end of it.

No, not really. Cancer is easily measurable and provable. GW is not. To call GW "science" is to call People Magazine "journalism."

Are you a scientist?

Its a serious question.

Im trying to see if you have done the research

I will admit I am not a scientist and have not done the research. The scientists could be wrong...

However there seems to be an abundance of discussion that points to GW as real.

So if you are simply stating you refuse to believe the professionals there really isnt much to debate, right? I could show you mountains of evidence and you would state it proves nothing since you refuse to believe. (Same is true of me the opposite direction)

If you tell me you yourself are a scientist and have come to a different conclusion about GW, now that will have more weight with me
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
wellwellwellRS
June 10th, 2019 at 3:29:21 AM permalink

Are you a scientist?

Its a serious question.

Im trying to see if you have done the research

I will admit I am not a scientist and have not done the research. The scientists could be wrong...

However there seems to be an abundance of discussion that points to GW as real.

So if you are simply stating you refuse to believe the professionals there really isnt much to debate, right? I could show you mountains of evidence and you would state it proves nothing since you refuse to believe. (Same is true of me the opposite direction)

If you tell me you yourself are a scientist and have come to a different conclusion about GW, now that will have more weight with me

No, I am not a scientist. You need not be a scientist to question GW. I am educated and informed. I know how to use critical thinking skills. The "evidence" you speak of is very weak. And more than once, scientists have been caught gaffing the data to help prove their conclusions. Then we have the number of times their predictions have been wrong.

See, to say "well, temps will go up a tenth of a degree C over the next 50 years" is not very sexy. To say we will have no snow by 2013, or the North Pole will be melted by 2015, or the glaciers will be gone by 2020. That is the kind of thing the news picks up, and the sheep lap up. What was that SciFi GW movie of 2004 or so? I knew a woman at the time who thought it was actually real.

One must be educated in more than science to notice what is really going on. If you graduated HS in the USA you probably read "Animal Farm." In the beginning of the book, the pigs rile the other, lesser animals up by telling of how the farmer sleeps in a bed while they sleep in the barn. After the revolution, the pigs justify their own sleeping in the very same beds because they are in charge and have high stress, need to sleep in comfort.

GW believers get riled up by the Algores and Prince Charles' of the world. These guys preach that the world is ending and we must change our lives. They say this while living in mansions and palaces, flying private jets, and riding in SUV limos.

Do you not see the problems here?

Yes, I refuse to believe the "professionals with mountains of evidence" when their evidence is weak, their predictions wrong, and their positions self-serving.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
AZDuffmanwellwellwell
June 10th, 2019 at 3:30:06 AM permalink

Seems I remember some of the folk here getting upset that I called CA out for Third World conditions. Glad to have the NYT on board!

Democrats vision for America. De evolution of the human species.

California and its local governments are $1.5 trillion in debt. One study says their debt is actually $2.3 trillion. Now they’re going to provide health benefits for illegals, at a cost of no less than $100 million, and the Governor wants to increase taxes another $2 billion.

You might want to avoid their bonds.

More than 130,000 officially homeless. Definitely much more than that. Especially with future dems arriving every minute. 28,084 reports of human feces last year on the streets of San Francisco alone. Those are just the ones reported. Homeless living in trees. Number of Tuberculosis infections at twice the national average, and growing. Return of the medieval diseases typhus and typhoid in LA.

Now, they have to worry about ebola. Congolese are arriving every day, and that disease can incubate up to 21 days.
wellwellwell
wellwellwell
June 10th, 2019 at 4:50:21 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Well, that whole fooforaw is just silly. Watermelon is my favorite fruit. I'm as white as the driven slush. Talk about perpetuating stereotypes.

Seriously, we could just grow out of these things together. The kids understood there was no dog whistle - just sweet fruit and a fun contest. Time for the parents to catch up.

Watermelon is also my most favorite summer food. I have already finished off 3 this summer and it's not even mid June.

But what happened to the good old big black seeds in the watermelons of today. There was nothing better than peppering my younger brother sitting across the picnic table with a barrage of seeds after every bite. Good old days.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 10th, 2019 at 5:11:04 AM permalink
Quote: wellwellwell

Watermelon is also my most favorite summer food. I have already finished off 3 this summer and it's not even mid June.

But what happened to the good old big black seeds in the watermelons of today. There was nothing better than peppering my younger brother sitting across the picnic table with a barrage of seeds after every bite. Good old days.

When I worked produce in college, seedless watermelon was the new thing. Not many sold as they were very expensive compared to the regular. This was about 1989. Now it looks like seedless is the regular thing. FWIW I never liked watermelon. No reason, just not my thing,
wellwellwell
wellwellwell
June 10th, 2019 at 5:20:48 AM permalink

When I worked produce in college, seedless watermelon was the new thing. Not many sold as they were very expensive compared to the regular. This was about 1989. Now it looks like seedless is the regular thing. FWIW I never liked watermelon. No reason, just not my thing,

Yes, I seem to remember the transition from full seeds in the 1960's and 1970's where the seeds were about the size of a fully shelled sunflower seed to seeds about the size of the sunflower seed without the shell in the 1980's to the seedless version of today.

My guess it probably has something to do with that dastardly global warming thingy.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
wellwellwell
June 10th, 2019 at 5:33:12 AM permalink

National Park Quietly Removed Warning That Glaciers ‘Will All Be Gone’ By 2020 After Years Of Heavy Snowfall

But the scientists said they would be gone!

Maybe they will get one right one day.

So 70% of the glaciers have disappeared since 1850 in that location and you are celebrating victory?

Thats according to that same article

There is a difference between getting an estimate wrong and getting an entire theory wrong.

Like when a cancer patient given 6 months to live and actually dies in 12 you go around scoffing at the doctors because their estimate for the inevitable was wrong, even though the overall prediction was correct

No. It’s more equivalent to doctors saying, “He’s going to die within a week” then 6 days later they say, “he’s gonna die within a week” then another 6 days later....they say “oh no he doesn’t have cancer! But he has this new disease. He’s going to die in a week though”....and every week after that they give him 7 days to live.

Idk about you, but I think it’s amazing that “99% of scientists” agree on global warming, they put out all these predictions, yet somehow it seems they’re frequently retracting the predictions and pushing the dooms day date back another 5-15 years. Maybe they’re just really really unlucky?

I simply do not buy the idea that you can predict climate on a large scale to the level of precision these climate scientists are pushing it. It’s like looking at the price of a stock go from $5 to $5.01 in an hour then predicting a year from now it’s going to be between $4,950 and $5,050. Far too precise with little data. Would make actual sense to look at it over the course of 5 years, see it go from $2.75 to $3 to $3.25 to $4.25 to $5 then predict in a year it’s likely going to be between $5.25 and $6.50 (or whatever a sensible prediction is).
# Свободный Натан
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 14
wellwellwellRSmcallister3200MaxPenBoz
June 10th, 2019 at 5:44:18 AM permalink
Furthermore, we have many mathematicians on this site, or at least people who are proficient in math. In many locales in this country we have less than 200 years of weather and climate data, probably even less than that which are reliable. The question that needs to be posited is whether the sample size we have is enough to extrapolate reliable data from billions of years of Earth's history?

I have the same questions of global warming. When I was in school the world was gonna boil itself into a fiery pit by 2000. In 2006, Al Gore predicted the world had 10 years left. In 2018, AOC predicted 12 years. Needless to say, I don't think anyone should be eager to blow their retirement savings based upon thos predictions.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 215
June 10th, 2019 at 7:23:54 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

Furthermore, we have many mathematicians on this site, or at least people who are proficient in math. In many locales in this country we have less than 200 years of weather and climate data, probably even less than that which are reliable. The question that needs to be posited is whether the sample size we have is enough to extrapolate reliable data from billions of years of Earth's history?

I have the same questions of global warming. When I was in school the world was gonna boil itself into a fiery pit by 2000. In 2006, Al Gore predicted the world had 10 years left. In 2018, AOC predicted 12 years. Needless to say, I don't think anyone should be eager to blow their retirement savings based upon thos predictions.

Im just going to mention a show where they interviewed someone who was behind the Y2K scare

Remember that? At midnight 2000 computers would crash due to no foresight from programmers when it came to file date solutions (the files were saved as the year 99 due to then current memory issues i think so the fear was when the dates cycled to 00 the computers around the world would be unable to handle it)

No computers in a computer controlled world means havoc

Y2K

The guy who prominently figured this out has been vilified as on January 1st 2000 pretty much nothing happened

In this interview with him he claims......

Because of the warnings computer programmers were able to put a workaround solution in (I actually remember the solution at the time files became saved NOT as year 00 but as year K0. In other words to preserve the 2 year nomenclature a symbol was chosen to keep the computer from going haywire in the new year) this workaround solution SAVED all the computers from crashing thereby avoiding Y2K.

The guy claims he saved the world from disaster and admits the end result was everyone believes he was lying about Y2K since it never happened.

What a conundrum if true. Save the world from disaster and be labeled a charlatan or just let the world implode with your reputation intact?

What would you guys do?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee

• Jump to: