Thread Rating:

bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 99
Thanks for this post from:
RS
May 19th, 2019 at 1:35:26 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

https://klipy.org/california-7th-congressional-district-map/house-and-presidential-party-winner-by-district-california-map-with-cities-california-7th-congressional-district-map/

I'm posting this map, not as a way to bring "He who we shall not mention" in to the discussion, but to show there are areas of CA where common sense still is trying to hold on and everyone isn't looking for a handout or feels they are a victim. But you are right, while they control a large amount of area, they have little say in how the state operates as a whole.

I clicked your link, that's amazing. You are right, in Sacramento, the dems dominate everything. I don't know how it has gotten like this. Except one thing for sure, the dems take it VERY VERY seriously. They want to rule. And they've got dirty tricks, they're experts at it.

Thanks for the link.
"...The Queen of Warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long..."
bobbartop
bobbartop
May 19th, 2019 at 1:39:55 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

What is the process in California? Do they have a primary open to all and then the top two move on to the main election?

I think so. I dunno. I'm stupid on this sh*t. Hey Bill, I know you think I know everything, but I don't. SURPRISE. I just know most everything.
"...The Queen of Warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long..."
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 101
May 19th, 2019 at 2:27:33 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

I clicked your link, that's amazing. You are right, in Sacramento, the dems dominate everything. I don't know how it has gotten like this. Except one thing for sure, the dems take it VERY VERY seriously. They want to rule. And they've got dirty tricks, they're experts at it.

Thanks for the link.

Same thing just happened in Albany. If you are a Republican in the Assembly or Senate you have ZERO power. The only check on the state government is that they cannot just print money like the Federal government can. I'm sure the 'separate NY into two states, upstate and metro NYC', will be a topic.

For years the NY Senate was Republican, requiring compromise. I think it worked well for NY.
The House being Democrat now requires compromise on a Federal level. I prefer that to all 3 Repub or all 3 Dem.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 218
May 19th, 2019 at 4:43:34 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

One thing I see happening is some major consolidation. In this valley there used to be so many small independent farmers, and now it is just one big corp swallowing them up one by one. I think you're right about "enviros". It takes years to approve building a new cold storage. I don't know anyone who cares more about the land than the farmers who make their living off it.

My thinking is the enviros will starve the farmers of water, which has already happened in some parts. Maybe "runoff" will be regulated. Or even importation of bees for the pollination season.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 159
Thanks for this post from:
bobbartop
May 19th, 2019 at 6:05:09 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

My thinking is the enviros will starve the farmers of water, which has already happened in some parts. Maybe "runoff" will be regulated. Or even importation of bees for the pollination season.

California is mainly dependent on what happens in 7 other states as far as water because it's part of the Colorado River Compact. Back there by Las Vegas they check levels of lake Mead. Are we still in drought conditions in Lake Mead? When I was there we were.

I don't know what the conditions are there, but the growth in Nevada can directly affect what water is available to other states and vice versa. I don't know what the "environs" want to do, but they're probably right.

edit 6 states, as Cal makes number 7
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
bobbartop
bobbartop
May 19th, 2019 at 7:24:36 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

California is mainly dependent on what happens in 7 other states as far as water because it's part of the Colorado River Compact. Back there by Las Vegas they check levels of lake Mead. Are we still in drought conditions in Lake Mead? When I was there we were.

I don't know what the conditions are there, but the growth in Nevada can directly affect what water is available to other states and vice versa. I don't know what the "environs" want to do, but they're probably right.

edit 6 states, as Cal makes number 7

Google "Delta Smelt".

We've had a ton of rain this year, still raining in mid-May. A nice snow pack in the mountains will water the crops in August. But it was rough a few years ago, like four winters in a row with zero rain. It was awful.
bobbartop
bobbartop
May 19th, 2019 at 7:25:45 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

You've probably heard of the "Delta Smelt" controversy.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 15
May 19th, 2019 at 7:37:56 PM permalink
San Diego region pretty consistently overdrew/overdraw their agreed upon amount of water from Colorado River/Lake Mead i recall reading from years ago. Anyway, you can’t get any more hypocrital than SoCal regarding environmental concerns, or anything for that matter. Fly into Palm Springs once, all you see is barren desert for at least a hundred miles in any direction and then all of a sudden just large land masses of lush golf courses....and then when you land and go into the restroom the faucets have signs about conserving water, that conserving water is their way of life. If your golfing in the middle of the desert you give up any reasonable way of being able to say a damn word to anyone about saving water.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 155
May 19th, 2019 at 7:41:07 PM permalink
Lake Meade is projected to rise very slightly this year, the first time this has occurred in many years.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 218
May 21st, 2019 at 12:07:20 PM permalink
Study: 75 American Colleges Offer Black-Only Graduation Ceremonies

Quote:

A study by the National Association of Scholars revealed that at least 75 American colleges have black-only graduation ceremonies and 43 percent of surveyed colleges offer segregated residential halls. The organization refers to this as “neo-segregation.”

The Balkanization of Higher Education! So much for "Diversity on campus."
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing

• Jump to: