DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 66
Thanks for this post from:
ams288
March 12th, 2019 at 11:00:20 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If I was young today I would take a trade, probably welding.

Lots of people look down on people in the trades but I think today it is still very valuable and can be lucrative. A close friend of mine is a carpenter and he makes great money in Las Vegas. His union wage is $64 an hour and he works lots of overtime averaging $100 an hour. He made over $160k this past year and he is just a worker, not any type of supervisor or foreman.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 16
March 12th, 2019 at 11:07:46 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Lots of people look down on people in the trades but I think today it is still very valuable and can be lucrative. A close friend of mine is a carpenter and he makes great money in Las Vegas. His union wage is $64 an hour and he works lots of overtime averaging $100 an hour. He made over $160k this past year and he is just a worker, not any type of supervisor or foreman.

"Blue collar" work is hard. I certainly don't look down on it. I think some of those jobs are definitely worth the high pay.

I like having a nice, comfortable office job, though, so I don't mind making less money than a tradesperson.

EDIT:

Here is the complete list of those charged in the bribery scandal.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 216
March 12th, 2019 at 11:33:26 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Part of it I blame on television and part on our political class. As to TV, well it is easier to make generic white collar work look glamorous. Meanwhile it is easier for politicians to just keep calling to warehouse more and more kids in 13th grade a/k/a college when they do not yet have a direction in life.

Need to get the trades more involved at the high school level. Some kind of recruiting. Showing what the work is.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 75
March 12th, 2019 at 11:49:48 AM permalink
Quote: Fleaswatter

It would not surprise me if the vast majority of those accused of paying a bribe for their child to be admitted to college were liberals/lefties.

This is not a political topic
yet we see
Left hate syndrome from fleaswatter
As soon as fleaswatter hears somebody breaks the law
He automatically accuses the left with absolutely no evidence
Why are you so filled with hate fleaswatter?

I'm sure if Fleaswatter see's somebody jaywalking and he will accuse the jaywalker of being a lib
lol
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 15
March 12th, 2019 at 11:54:27 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

This is not a political topic
yet we see
Left hate syndrome from fleaswatter
As soon as fleaswatter hears somebody breaks the law
He automatically accuses the left with absolutely no evidence
Why are you so filled with hate fleaswatter?

I'm sure if Fleaswatter see's somebody jaywalking and he will accuse the jaywalker of being a lib
lol

Yeah, I was confused why certain members automatically tried to turn this into a political argument.
Lock him up!
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 43
Thanks for this post from:
ams288Minty
March 12th, 2019 at 11:58:58 AM permalink
Schrödinger’s Liberal.

Simultaneously unemployed living off handouts and bribing Universities for millions of dollars.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 89
March 12th, 2019 at 12:03:20 PM permalink
How do you think Trump got into UPenn? On the flip side, how do you think Obama got into Harvard? How about the athletes who can't read or write that are admitted and graduate without even going to class ....and the list goes on and on.

The real question here is... how dumb did their children have to be in order to need to be admitted to UCLA and Texas through bribes?
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 220
March 12th, 2019 at 12:20:07 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

...The real question here is... how dumb did their children have to be in order to need to be admitted to UCLA and Texas through bribes?

I don't know about UT, but UCLA is a highly selective school. For the Fall of 2018, they received 113,755 Freshman applications and admitted 15,970, or 14% of them. They are by far the most desired campus in the University of California system.
Voice of the Announcer: Meanwhile, at an abandoned gold mine, a sinister figure lurks. Snidley Whiplash: I love to lurk. It's so me
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 39
March 12th, 2019 at 12:43:06 PM permalink
"I don't know how much of school I'm gonna attend," she said in the video, which was filmed before she headed to college at the University of Southern California. "But I'm gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of, like, game days, partying…I don't really care about school, as you guys all know."

-- Olivia Jade Giannulli, daughter of Lori Louglin

https://www.etonline.com/lori-loughlins-daughter-olivia-said-she-didnt-really-care-about-school-before-heading-to-college
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 417
March 12th, 2019 at 12:49:36 PM permalink
Dershowitz says it works because they
pass everybody now. In his day, you
got kicked out for bad grades.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: