lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 144
December 11th, 2018 at 4:13:42 AM permalink
I love the guy's game. He's truly great. But it's very sad than an educated role model could say things that reflect so much ignorance. Reflects very poorly on athletes in general.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/sports/stephen-curry-moon-landing.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fsports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront
𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘺 𝘸𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵. 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘴 𝘸𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘺
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 186
December 11th, 2018 at 4:33:00 AM permalink
Eh, can't blame him for not believing the government. Two things lead to this, none of us really understand the science, and we have never been back to the moon. They say there is no value going to the moon, but that's not really true, but going back would definitely at least prove we can do it now. The world is a world of scarcity, the universe is bountiful and endless, that's probably why we don't really progress in the space age I think. As to Curry himself, he is greatly successful and can do and say anything without fear of poverty because of it. Can't really blame a guy that has the true freedom to express himself, not like he would bet on it.
#FreeNATHAN #Paytheslaves
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 119
December 11th, 2018 at 4:40:50 AM permalink
Iíll take someone who believes the moon landing is a hoax over someone who believes the earth is flat any day.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 11th, 2018 at 4:47:28 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

we have never been back to the moon.

Nasa landed humans on the moon 6 times between 1969 and 1972 putting a total of 12 astronauts on the lunar surface.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 96
December 11th, 2018 at 8:16:31 AM permalink
There are several good reasons to colonize the moon. The cost could be more than offset, depending on your valuation of them.

1. 1/6 gravity is very beneficial for growing crystals, new molecules, and miniaturization of chips. Lack of magnetic fields there also allow new science in fission/fusion to develop, while placing the danger far away.

2. Other science in geriatrics, cellular development, hydroponics, other areas. The moon could farm, with endless sunlight, enough foodstuffs to feed billions more people (which I personally don't think is a plus - earth is sustaining about 2 billion more than it should be now, at the cost of every other living thing on it). But it would be cheap to ship grown product back because of the gravity well.

3. The big one. The country or entity that occupies the moon has dominance militarily over the earth.

4. A moon base offers a more permanent, probably safer, certainly larger off-earth habitat than the ISS. It can serve as a more economical launch point to the stars and other planets. Its major industry would probably be building and launching satellites, at least in the near term.

5. I mentioned geriatrics, but there could be a huge industry in retirement communities and easier living for amputees/paraplegic/other delicate people. It would lengthen many lives to only fight the effects of 1/6g instead of 1g.

6. Moon tourism could be huge. Lots of fun activities could only be done there, like flying. Imagine jumping on a trampoline up there, or diving from a 50 foot tower and slowly floating into water, or a lot of other things. Not to mention the view of earth, or the sky without an atmosphere blurring the stars.

7. Solar power, with big enough batteries to store and ship it, could not just run the whole thing, but become a commodity. We could become completely fossil-fuel free in a generation.

And, yes, the moon landings absolutely happened, and could be resumed. The smart phone you're holding has many times the brains needed to get people to the moon in the 60s. We have the technology, the observable benefits, and the capability. What we don't have is the political will.

Maybe it will be a private entity rather than the government, ours or others. I think it will be starvation that pushes us there, or an unstoppable plague that makes the earth uninhabitable. I would prefer we went there voluntarily, though.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
Thanks for this post from:
lildevilLucyRogerKint
December 11th, 2018 at 8:22:03 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

There are several good reasons to colonize the moon.

Let's not forget all the green cheese that's up there.

Don't forget the crackers.
"What, me worry?"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 96
December 11th, 2018 at 8:25:38 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Let's not forget all the green cheese that's up there.

Don't forget the crackers.

We won't be worrying about saving you a seat, then. Lol.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 147
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
December 11th, 2018 at 8:45:13 AM permalink
As a third grader in 1967, I was absolutely expecting to weekend on the moon as an adult.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 11th, 2018 at 9:43:08 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

There are several good reasons to colonize the moon. earth uninhabitable.

how would you get enough water on the moon to support a whole city?

there's no rain there

seems impossible
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 225
December 11th, 2018 at 9:56:04 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

how would you get enough water on the moon to support a whole city?

there's no rain there

seems impossible

Not impossible, just very difficult. Same issue with making sure there is enough oxygen.

Damage from exposure to radiation is also challenge with living on the Moon. For all the benefits of low-G, life expectancy will be shorter since our bodies were not designed for "floating". Weak bones, muscles, and circulation problems are also byproducts of our bodies adapting to living in low gravity.
When I die, I want everyone who ever worked with me on a group project to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.

• Jump to: