13 members have voted

RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabsAyecarumba
December 5th, 2018 at 10:38:09 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

I for one wish that the federal government would end the "national day of mourning" when a president dies.

Life goes on.

I have no problem with them. Unlike holidays like Memorial Day, when many people forget there is even a reason for the long weekend, these very few days during the course of our lives help us focus on our great country.

Life does go on...but there is also an importance to remembering why we have the chance to live as we do. It isn't just about the person.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 5th, 2018 at 10:48:38 AM permalink

I for one wish that the federal government would end the "national day of mourning" when a president dies.

Life goes on.

Yeah I was going to check for tax loss harvesting opportunities today. Markets closed :(
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1338
December 5th, 2018 at 3:41:40 PM permalink

Every federal worker would disagree with you. I enjoyed my day of mourning for Nixon.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 95
December 5th, 2018 at 3:58:31 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Every federal worker would disagree with you. I enjoyed my day of mourning for Nixon.

And I enjoyed today off. However, it does have its downside - the post offices are closed, so if you had something in the mail, that's an extra day for it to get there.

Not quite as bad as the "three days in a row closed" caused by Ford's funeral in 2007, though (Sunday, New Year's Day, Ford memorial day). I don't remember that ever happening before, except during a postal strike.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
December 5th, 2018 at 4:16:25 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I didn't get any days of mourning off - would have been Reagan, Nixon, Ford . We got holiday pay instead, but only if we actually worked the day.

And USPS delivered my Amazon package today, some towel bars, as scheduled last week. So not all Post Office employees got the day, either.

All FWIW.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 5th, 2018 at 4:37:33 PM permalink
Did the air traffic controllers raise a toast to Reagan? Maybe, since most of them probably got their jobs after he kicked out the old guard for striking.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
December 5th, 2018 at 5:20:17 PM permalink
How many federal employees spent all day "mourning" him?

Not many, I'd bet.

Yeah, and here I am paying their salary so they can stay at home doing heaven knows what; instead they should be tearing their hair out while uttering woeful cries of lament and sorrow.

We already have a Presidents Day set aside to remember former presidents: that's more than enough.

Bah, humbug.

Oh well, sometimes funerals can rock. .
"What, me worry?"
Sandybestdog
Sandybestdog
  • Threads: 0
December 5th, 2018 at 5:48:09 PM permalink
It was nice to see the media talk so positively about him. Where you would traditionally expect the media to cast him in a negative light, there has been pretty much only good things said about him. I think this was the mediaís attempt to recreate what happened with McCain in order to make Trump look bad. It didnít work though.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
December 5th, 2018 at 10:22:50 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Did the air traffic controllers raise a toast to Reagan? Maybe, since most of them probably got their jobs after he kicked out the old guard for striking.

No. In fact, to this day, we call DCA Washington National.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
December 6th, 2018 at 1:48:10 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

No. In fact, to this day, we call DCA Washington National.

While that may be intended as a slight, I have pretty much always referred to the three area airports as BWI, National, and Dulles. I never use "Marshall" or "Reagan" but will slip in "Friendship" sometimes...

In Houston, it is Bush or Hobby. McCarron? I never use that either. Vegas or Las Vegas is where we take a flight to; the airport is where we go to return.

• Jump to: