Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 27th, 2018 at 8:18:42 PM permalink
Forgive the slight change of topic, but as long as we're dissecting music lyrics, what is a "mac," as found in the following lyrics to Penny Lane. Hope OD sees this.

Quote: Beatles

On the corner is a banker with a motorcar,
And little children laugh at him behind his back
And the banker never wears a mac
In the pouring rain, very strange

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
prozema
prozema
  • Threads: 24
June 27th, 2018 at 8:25:08 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Forgive the slight change of topic, but as long as we're dissecting music lyrics, what is a "mac," as found in the following lyrics to Penny Lane. Hope OD sees this.

Probably related to this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Macintosh
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 27th, 2018 at 8:28:02 PM permalink

http://songmeanings.com/m/songs/view/905/
The entry titled “umm...” says a mac is a raincoat. So he’s either saying he’s not wearing a raincoat when it’s raining or he doesn’t wear a condom when he’s going to pound town.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
June 28th, 2018 at 2:11:31 AM permalink

As already indicated 'a rubberised waterproof raincoat' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackintosh More popular in the 60's.
Also slang term for a condom, but not when that song was written. 'on with the mac and down to business'

Funniest definition of mac from Urban Dictionary...
"Overpriced pieces of sh1t that cost $500+ more then a computer with the same specs, can't play games, non upgradable, can't use 90 percent of general software, does less."

Also in that brilliant song, Penny Lane, the lyrics "Four of fish and finger pies" which was pretty risque back then.

"The mysterious lyrics "Four of fish and finger pies" are British slang. "A four of fish" refers to fourpennyworth of fish and chips, while "finger pie" is sexual slang of the time, apparently referring to intimate fondlings between teenagers in the bus shelter, which was a familiar meeting place."

Back when I was a kid, inflation had taken it's toll on the price of fish and chips. When I was six, it was still possible to buy 'a six of chips' from the chip shop and fish was a shilling. That's 2 1/5 pence and 5 pence respectively in latest currency.
By 1970, Fish and chips was about 25 pence. This week I paid £7 for fish, chips and mushy peas from the local chip shop (take out, of course)
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
June 28th, 2018 at 2:51:14 AM permalink
I'd like to start a little subsection. Who is in your Avatar? There are obvious Avatars such as Mr. V's Mad TV Alfred Neumann Avatar but many Avatars are not as obvious. So, who is in your Avatar? :)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
prozema
prozema
June 28th, 2018 at 4:27:39 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

I'd like to start a little subsection. Who is in your Avatar? There are obvious Avatars such as Mr. V's Mad TV Alfred Neumann Avatar but many Avatars are not as obvious. So, who is in your Avatar? :)

Ok.

http://a-team.wikia.com/wiki/John_"Hannibal"_Smith[/
Nathan
Nathan
June 28th, 2018 at 4:55:53 AM permalink
Quote: prozema

Ok.

I always thought that was YOU in your Avatar, which is why I said some Avatars are obvious.;)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 28th, 2018 at 5:07:12 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

As already indicated 'a rubberised waterproof raincoat' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackintosh More popular in the 60's.
Also slang term for a condom, but not when that song was written. 'on with the mac and down to business'

Thank you for the clarification. I hear rubberized raincoats are actually rather chic in the UK. True?

Quote:

while "finger pie" is sexual slang of the time, apparently referring to intimate fondlings between teenagers in the bus shelter, which was a familiar meeting place."

Sounds like what we called the "stink finger."
Nathan
Nathan
June 28th, 2018 at 5:54:01 AM permalink
Question about Back To The Future movie. Marty goes back in time to 1955, for a week, not changes 1985 into 1955. Wouldn't his parents in 1985 wonder where he went for an entire week? I mean, I'd be worried sick if I didn't know where my 17 year old son was for an entire week!
prozema
prozema
June 28th, 2018 at 5:59:59 AM permalink

Ok.

I always thought that was YOU in your Avatar, which is why I said some Avatars are obvious.;)

I'm much better looking irl.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 28th, 2018 at 6:16:35 AM permalink

There are obvious Avatars such as Mr. V's Mad TV Alfred Neumann Avatar but many Avatars are not as obvious.

I'd heard of Mad TV but do not recall having watched it.

No, I chose my avatar based upon the fact that I'd read Mad Magazine while growing up, and it helped to formulate my world view.
"What, me worry?"
prozema
prozema
June 28th, 2018 at 6:24:52 AM permalink
Nathan,

If you want in on the cooperation game, you need to get over there and say you are in. FREE MONEY.
Nathan
Nathan
June 28th, 2018 at 6:46:05 AM permalink
I took the plunge and bought some advance tickets for 49 front pair Pick 4 for three days. :) Wish me good luck 49 shows up within those three days. :) I also chose 43 pick 2,186, 813, 819, 863 for Pick 3 for the afternoon drawing. :) Wish me good luck! :D
Nathan
Nathan
June 28th, 2018 at 7:03:12 AM permalink

As I always say, for recreational gambling, think of it as entertainment and stick to a budget accordingly.

At the risk of sounding judgmental, I must say your vocabulary and English are about three standard deviations on the right side of the bell curve for a lottery player. Usually, I never hear the word "earmark" outside of Washington DC congressional budget negotiations. Please take it as a compliment.

Speaking of compliments, I have been out of town but did notice the comparison of my Wizard caricature to that of Dean Martin. Thank you for the kind words, although I'm sure Dean would be very insulted at the comparison.

I wonder if I should get that logo updated. It was based on how I looked about a dozen years ago.

Yes, my Dean Martin comparison to your Avatar was a compliment. :) You are welcome. :(
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 28th, 2018 at 7:51:14 AM permalink

Question about Back To The Future movie. Marty goes back in time to 1955, for a week, not changes 1985 into 1955. Wouldn't his parents in 1985 wonder where he went for an entire week? I mean, I'd be worried sick if I didn't know where my 17 year old son was for an entire week!

Didn't he return the same evening in 1985 when he left? I think when he left the mall was called "Twin Oaks" but when he returned it was "Lone Oak," or something like that, because they crashed into one of the trees when they went back in time and killed it.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 28th, 2018 at 8:02:04 AM permalink

Mine's Sofology Neal, A tv advert character:

A sloth, of course and a real laid back guy with a beer belly. Just like me, except I'm working on the beer belly.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
MrV
MrV
June 28th, 2018 at 8:28:37 AM permalink

a real laid back guy with a beer belly. Just like me

We Americans use the expression "beer belly" because we drink mostly beer, not ale.

I understand that you live in England.

I wonder whether in England the beverage of choice typically quaffed is called / identified as an ale as opposed to a beer?
"What, me worry?"
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 28th, 2018 at 8:30:58 AM permalink

Marty came back to within a few moments of when he left, time-wise. The terrorists had just shot Doc and he was still lying in the parking lot. The terrorists had just turned the corner, so maybe 10 seconds, maybe less.

Marty had seen him killed, which was why he took Doc's DeLorean and sped away into the past, leaving Doc there. But when Marty got back, he grabbed Doc, and Doc came to, showed him the bulletproof vest he was wearing under his labsuit, and the torn and repaired letter Marty had left him, warning him the terrorists were coming for him that night.

So nobody, including his parents, knew he had ever been gone.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 28th, 2018 at 8:31:25 AM permalink

That's probably a genuine Mackintosh. Her Majesty spends a lot of time in Scotland where it rains a lot.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
June 28th, 2018 at 8:33:18 AM permalink

Didn't he return the same evening in 1985 when he left? I think when he left the mall was called "Twin Oaks" but when he returned it was "Lone Oak," or something like that, because they crashed into one of the trees when they went back in time and killed it.

"Twin Pines"
then
"Lone Pine"

Today it is probably on a dead mall series on YT.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
prozema
prozema
June 28th, 2018 at 8:34:01 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

We Americans use the expression "beer belly" because we drink mostly beer, not ale.

I wonder however whether in England the beverage of choice typically quaffed is called / identified as an ale as opposed to a beer?

I thought ale was a type of beer.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
June 28th, 2018 at 8:58:51 AM permalink

I can’t figure out why this won’t post using my normal methods.

Anyways my avatar is just a funny dirty meme that I like.
Last edited by: PokerGrinder on Jun 28, 2018
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 28th, 2018 at 8:59:46 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

I wonder however whether in England the beverage of choice typically quaffed is called / identified as an ale as opposed to a beer?

'Beer' in the UK generally refers to top fermenting darker colored* ales as opposed to the lighter colored* bottom fermenting lagers which are popular in mainland Europe and America. Generally, what you call beer, we call lager. British Beer is generally 'Bitter', 'mild', or 'Pale ale' ( stout or Guiness popular some places is served either chilled or cold ). These English Beers finish maturing in the cellar of the pub rather than at the brewery and is served with only natural carbonation. Lagers are carbonated artificially at the pump or bottling plant. . . Which is why a recent CO2 shortage in the UK and mainland Europe is leading to rationing of Lager beers by wholesalers.

We tend to like beer served at cellar temperature about 53° F whereas lagers are served colder at about 40° F
Lager beers are for hot days in the garden, or when on vacation* on the Spanish coast.
Germanic countries are a bit exceptional and have some very strict laws around what can go into beer: Nothing but water, hops and malt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Germany
Beer belly is the characteristic shape of the belly of a beer drinker, with its high visceral fat and possibly swollen liver.
Maybe, because we Brits tend to be a fair bit lighter than our US cousins, our beer bellies are more conspicuous. E.g. I'm generally thin, barely any subcutaneous fat, weigh under 190lb but look at me from the side and I could be 4 months pregnant.
$:o)

*In deference to you guys, I'm trying to learn your language.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
PokerGrinder
June 28th, 2018 at 9:13:33 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

https://imgur.com/a/yFRYi4p

I've never looked at your avatar up close. I'm sitting in a hospital with Mom waiting for the doctor, and you made me laugh out loud - not just LOL Thanks.

Knew I liked you.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
prozema
June 28th, 2018 at 9:37:46 AM permalink

I thought ale was a type of beer.

Indeed. Beer encompasses Lagers, Ales, and lots of other subsets.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 28th, 2018 at 9:41:29 AM permalink

A sloth, of course and a real laid back guy with a beer belly. Just like me, except I'm working on the beer belly.

OK, For a short while, I've changed my profile pic. I wonder if anyone notices the difference.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
RogerKint
June 28th, 2018 at 9:44:12 AM permalink

OK, For a short while, I've changed my profile pic. I wonder if anyone notices the difference.

Ywah, I noticed that's a blurry mess. No idea and miss the other already.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 28th, 2018 at 9:50:36 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Ywah, I noticed that's a blurry mess. No idea and miss the other already.

Blurry mess was deliberate. In High def you might regret seeing it. Plus i wanted to stymie those who'd reverse image search it (Image search thought it was 'Girl' and in higher def thought it was Christmas Decoration.)
Blame bbb for what It's about to become...
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
June 28th, 2018 at 10:39:54 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

There ya go. It is funny.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
June 28th, 2018 at 12:10:36 PM permalink
Thanks, I fixed my post. I don’t know why I couldn’t get it to show up as I did it like I do for chip of the day posts.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
Nathan
Nathan
June 28th, 2018 at 6:03:49 PM permalink
Fat Tuesday's sells Cat 5 Hurricane for $10 with double shots in it! Get out of here! I bought a small bottle of Gold rum for $1.25 and got a Wild Cherry and Lemonade Slurpee from 711 for $1.81! That's just a little over $3! With another rum bottle, that's only $4.31! For the price of one Cat 5 Hurricane, I could buy a drink for myself and a friend and still have enough to buy another rum bottle! SMH!
Last edited by: Nathan on Jun 28, 2018
prozema
prozema
June 28th, 2018 at 6:08:17 PM permalink
I always sneak a flask of rum into the movie theater. A $7 soda makes me mad, but a $7 giant rum and diet makes me happy.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
June 28th, 2018 at 6:12:47 PM permalink
Walgreen's had big recent profit increase. Nathan is mentioned on page 286 of the press release! ("thanks to our hard working employees")
Nathan
Nathan
June 28th, 2018 at 6:25:08 PM permalink

I always sneak a flask of rum into the movie theater. A $7 soda makes me mad, but a $7 giant rum and diet makes me happy.

LMAO! :D
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 28th, 2018 at 6:54:31 PM permalink
My avatar is rather obvious, too. It's the beloved Tardar Sauce.
Nathan
Nathan
June 28th, 2018 at 7:01:36 PM permalink
I was SO close to winning Pick 3! I chose 219 and 179 popped up! Drats! :( On a kind of bright side, if you followed my advice, and did a week of 39(93 box) Pick 2, you would have won TWICE, as 39 popped up tonight! :D I just wish I would have done 93 box for a week instead of playing a bunch of random numbers all willy nilly!:( Silly me! :( Hey, I made some rhymes! :D Also I predicted 865 would come up and 856 showed up yesterday. :) I should have advanced play both 865 and 39 and I'd have been about $64 dollars richer! :/
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
June 28th, 2018 at 7:13:31 PM permalink

'Beer' in the UK generally refers to top fermenting darker colored* ales as opposed to the lighter colored* bottom fermenting lagers which are popular in mainland Europe and America. Generally, what you call beer, we call lager. British Beer is generally 'Bitter', 'mild', or 'Pale ale' ( stout or Guiness popular some places is served either chilled or cold ). These English Beers finish maturing in the cellar of the pub rather than at the brewery and is served with only natural carbonation. Lagers are carbonated artificially at the pump or bottling plant. . . Which is why a recent CO2 shortage in the UK and mainland Europe is leading to rationing of Lager beers by wholesalers.

We tend to like beer served at cellar temperature about 53° F whereas lagers are served colder at about 40° F
Lager beers are for hot days in the garden, or when on vacation* on the Spanish coast.
Germanic countries are a bit exceptional and have some very strict laws around what can go into beer: Nothing but water, hops and malt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Germany
Beer belly is the characteristic shape of the belly of a beer drinker, with its high visceral fat and possibly swollen liver.
Maybe, because we Brits tend to be a fair bit lighter than our US cousins, our beer bellies are more conspicuous. E.g. I'm generally thin, barely any subcutaneous fat, weigh under 190lb but look at me from the side and I could be 4 months pregnant.
$:o)

*In deference to you guys, I'm trying to learn your language.

It’s no different in America. There’s a massive craft beer culture here that has sprung up in the past 10-15 years. Ales, mostly IPA’s, are extremely popular among craft beer drinkers.

Light lagers (Miller,Coors, Budweiser) are still by far the most popular beers here, but they’ve lost a huge amount of market share to smaller craft breweries.

It’s always referred to as beer though, reguardless of the type.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
June 28th, 2018 at 7:31:05 PM permalink
My avatar is of me from 10 years ago.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
prozema
prozema
June 28th, 2018 at 7:34:23 PM permalink
Quote: miplet

My avatar is of me from 10 years ago.

OMG... That's the same way most women do online dating.
Nathan
Nathan
June 28th, 2018 at 7:50:16 PM permalink

OMG... That's the same way most women do online dating.

I read somewhere that some 47 year old creep tricked a 16 year old into coming to his house in Florida when she lived in New York. They had been dating online, and he sent her his 17 year old yearbook from the 80's,(She didn't know it was from the 1980's)and she commented, "He looked dorky, but extremely cute. At his house she was shocked to see a man who was older than her father, clearly not a 17 year old boy just a year older than her. She instantly realized he had tricked her and in hindsight she presumably realized that the reason he looked dorky in his Yearbook picture was because it was from 30 years ago) and she tried to run away but was raped and kidnapped. Luckily she was able to call her Mom to get her out of this creep's house and her Mom had him imprisoned for the rape and kidnap of a Minor.
prozema
prozema
Thanked by
RS
June 28th, 2018 at 7:53:49 PM permalink
The 47 year old was a guy and 16 year old was a female? Does it play out different if the ages / genders are reversed? I think it does.
billryan
billryan
June 28th, 2018 at 11:42:58 PM permalink
Sounds like a Mann Act violation.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MrV
MrV
June 28th, 2018 at 11:52:38 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Sounds like a Mann Act violation.

True, the man's acts violated her.
"What, me worry?"
Nathan
Nathan
June 29th, 2018 at 12:21:34 AM permalink

The 47 year old was a guy and 16 year old was a female? Does it play out different if the ages / genders are reversed? I think it does.

Meh, maybe if a 27 year old woman raped and kidnapped a 16 year old boy, people would take it more lightheartedly, like ,"Wow, he's so lucky, this 27 year old woman is hot!" But a 47 year old woman doing this would elict more disgust like,"Gross! She's old enough to be his mother/very young grandmother!(There was a mother and daughter who both had given birth in their early teens, making her mother a grandmother around 31.)
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 29th, 2018 at 12:52:53 AM permalink

I was SO close to winning... I should have advanced play both 865 and 39 and I'd have been about $64 dollars richer! :/

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda.
Nathan
Nathan
June 29th, 2018 at 6:53:37 AM permalink

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda.

This is exactly why I feel that Advance drawings are the key. ;) I knew those numbers were coming up soon I just trolled myself by not making just those two numbers advanced for a week and playing a bunch of random numbers instead all willy nilly.
Nathan
Nathan
June 29th, 2018 at 7:15:16 AM permalink
I can't help but think that in the not so distant future that some other big store will make Amazon and Walmart as obsolete as they made Toys R Us and Babies R Us.
Nathan
Nathan
June 29th, 2018 at 3:19:12 PM permalink
I have a good feeling about 214 coming up soon. :)
prozema
prozema
Thanked by
Boz
June 29th, 2018 at 3:25:21 PM permalink
I have a good feeling about this 6 pack I'm about to buy.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
prozema
June 29th, 2018 at 3:37:19 PM permalink
Lemon 714 for the win.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
  • Jump to: