billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 74
October 19th, 2017 at 7:07:40 AM permalink
A woman attends her mother's wake. While there she meets a man who she thinks would make a perfect partner, a soul mate even. Caught up in her mother's funeral, she never gets the chance to really spend much time with him, and afterwards no one seems to know who he was.
Two weeks later, she murders her sister. Why?
Spoilers please.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 30
October 19th, 2017 at 7:12:12 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

A woman attends her mother's wake. While there she meets a man who she thinks would make a perfect partner, a soul mate even. Caught up in her mother's funeral, she never gets the chance to really spend much time with him, and afterwards no one seems to know who he was.
Two weeks later, she murders her sister. Why?
Spoilers please.

She wanted to see the man again and she figured that if he turned up at her mum's wake, she might get to see him again at her sister's wake. She was a bit of a psychopath and logic overcame morality
Embrace the Variance Good news: I was once at a lifetime Blackjack Profit of £18K Bad News: Gravity prevailed.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 23
October 19th, 2017 at 8:38:19 AM permalink
She reasoned that the Mystery Man that attended her mother's funeral would also attend her sister's, and she could meet Mystery Man again. Poor guy.

I had actually heard this one before (and did not know the answer). My friend who told it to me said afterwards it was a test that only a psychopath would get right (edit: no offense, OD!) since the reasoning used shows total disregard for all other human life. I didn't feel so bad not coming up with the answer.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
OnceDear
OnceDear
October 19th, 2017 at 8:51:11 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

She reasoned that the Mystery Man that attended her mother's funeral would also attend her sister's, and she could meet Mystery Man again. Poor guy.

I had actually heard this one before (and did not know the answer). My friend who told it to me said afterwards it was a test that only a psychopath would get right (edit: no offense, OD!) since the reasoning used shows total disregard for all other human life. I didn't feel so bad not coming up with the answer.

None taken. Actually, the mystery guy was a psychiatrist seeking out new patients and a life partner and he'd murdered the mother $:o)
Embrace the Variance Good news: I was once at a lifetime Blackjack Profit of £18K Bad News: Gravity prevailed.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
October 19th, 2017 at 8:56:53 AM permalink
Am I the only one that notices he uses "wake" then "funeral" almost as though they're one in the same, even though they are not? Wake is before the funeral, potentially days before.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
OnceDear
OnceDear
October 19th, 2017 at 9:01:17 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

Am I the only one that notices he uses "wake" then "funeral" almost as though they're one in the same, even though they are not? Wake is before the funeral, potentially days before.

Pah! Who ever scored at an actual funeral?
$:o)
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 23
October 19th, 2017 at 9:24:46 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

None taken. Actually, the mystery guy was a psychiatrist seeking out new patients and a life partner and he'd murdered the mother $:o)

The perfect couple!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 70
October 19th, 2017 at 9:45:59 AM permalink

Because he was the mortician, and she figured the only way she could meet him again is at another wake.

Just don't go to the burger place next door - try the Italian place across the street instead.

OnceDear
OnceDear
October 19th, 2017 at 10:27:02 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Because he was the mortician, and she figured the only way she could meet him again is at another wake.

Just don't go to the burger place next door - try the Italian place across the street instead.

Close enough, except "afterwards no one seems to know who he was."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 987
October 19th, 2017 at 10:28:04 AM permalink
The mother was rich. This guy was a gold digger who cases wakes like this, looking for a single newly-rich heiress. He sister looked like the better mark, so he focused his efforts on her. They had a two-week relationship but it went sour. So he killed her, lest she warn her sister, planning to then focus his efforts on the living sister.

The main thing that gives me pause is the two weeks. It seems so specific.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: