Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 148
November 28th, 2016 at 2:07:54 AM permalink
This includes Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Oakland. 500 different counties and cities have some kind of policy limiting cooperation with immigration authorities. The big question is whether or not the cities will cave if Trump makes good on his promise to withhold federal funds. To my knowledge there has never been a showdown like this between municipalities and the Feds. Trump is still a wild card. Since winning he's waffled on some of his most strident ideas. Giuliani, a Trump surrogate and hopeful for a Cabinet position sued the Feds in 1996 over a Federal law that limitied NYC's protections for the undocumented when he was Mayor. The only action remotely like this is when some states legalized marijuiana and basically the Feds caved. Very interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/27/us/cities-vow-to-fight-trump-on-immigration-even-if-they-lose-millions.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fus&action=click&contentCollection=us&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 28, 2016
it's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters........................it's the size of the fight in the dog
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 39
November 28th, 2016 at 9:02:07 AM permalink
Illegal aliens have already broken the laws here at least once by either entering the country illegally or overstaying their Visa. Why do we want to keep those who have done that AND break other laws on top of that? Perhaps we set a threshold allowing some minor infractions, but anything serious should be grounds for deportation. They are here illegally in the first place--committing crimes while illegally here should result in expulsion, unless it is really minor in nature.

So-called "Sanctuary Cities" should be required to comply or risk losing money from the Federal Government. They don't "have to" comply; they just "have to" make a choice.

I'm not advocating massive deportations, but it is ridiculous to criminals to stay. They are not citizens, who we have to keep...even though we wish we could send some of them away, too.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 154
November 28th, 2016 at 9:36:22 AM permalink
I prefer my police, which are paid for by local taxes, to fight crime and deal with local issues, not enforce Federal laws. Causing local undocumented to fear the police increases crime as criminals prey on those who can't call the police.
I don't believe anyone advocates for allowing serious crime to go unpunished, nor that convicted felons be allowed to stay.

How many here can say they have never broken a law? Smoked pot? Ever exceeded the speed limit? Had a beer before you were 21?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 158
November 28th, 2016 at 10:34:01 AM permalink
Being that he is the "law & order" candidate I assume he's going equally as hard on those state only supported marijuana laws.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
billryan
billryan
November 28th, 2016 at 10:42:54 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Being that he is the "law & order" candidate I assume he's going equally as hard on those state only supported marijuana laws.

Good people don't smoke pot. Nuff said.
RonC
RonC
November 28th, 2016 at 11:38:58 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I prefer my police, which are paid for by local taxes, to fight crime and deal with local issues, not enforce Federal laws. Causing local undocumented to fear the police increases crime as criminals prey on those who can't call the police.
I don't believe anyone advocates for allowing serious crime to go unpunished, nor that convicted felons be allowed to stay.

How many here can say they have never broken a law? Smoked pot? Ever exceeded the speed limit? Had a beer before you were 21?

If a person is convicted and jailed for an offense (not just charged; actually found guilty and sentenced), and the database shows they are an illegal alien, they should be handed over for deportation.

I am not in favor of "rounding them up", but handing them over when they are already in custody should not be an issue.

The whole "not enforce Federal laws" is a non-starter. Bank Robbery is a Federal crime, yet I bet any police officer out there would apprehend a suspected bank robber and allow the proper authorities to figure out who charges the suspect.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 101
November 28th, 2016 at 12:02:18 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

If a person is convicted and jailed for an offense (not just charged; actually found guilty and sentenced), and the database shows they are an illegal alien, they should be handed over for deportation.

Good in theory. Bad in practice. So we catch a rapist. Convict him. Then deport him back to Mexico. So how do we stop him from getting over the border the second time? We failed the first time obviously.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
November 28th, 2016 at 12:37:37 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

To my knowledge there has never been a showdown like this between municipalities and the Feds.

Maybe not municipalities per se. But certainly with states -- using highway funds to raise the legal drinking age to 21.
RonC
RonC
November 28th, 2016 at 12:44:00 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Good in theory. Bad in practice. So we catch a rapist. Convict him. Then deport him back to Mexico. So how do we stop him from getting over the border the second time? We failed the first time obviously.

You don't deport ANYONE until they have served their time here. Once they serve their time, turn them over to Immigration and deport them.

They may come back in; we need to also have border enforcement with teeth, especially for those ejected once already.

Just letting them serve out their time and releasing them back here is not a good answer.
billryan
billryan
November 28th, 2016 at 12:44:32 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

I am not in favor of "rounding them up", but handing them over when they are already in custody should not be an issue.

The whole "not enforce Federal laws" is a non-starter. Bank Robbery is a Federal crime, yet I bet any police officer out there would apprehend a suspected bank robber and allow the proper authorities to figure out who charges the suspect.

Bank robbers are tried in State Courts, so obviously it's also a state crime. Immigration is not handled by any state courts, is it?
I have no problem with the Federal Government expelling violent felons, after they are convicted and served their sentence. I just don't think local authorities should be involved. If someone's house is being broken into, or they get mugged, they should be able to call 911 without worrying about getting deported.

• Jump to: