bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
August 14th, 2016 at 5:38:44 PM permalink
I know this has nothing to do with gambling but the heading says "off-topic" so I guess it's ok to post this. The article is fresh, from August 10th, about lakes and canyons filled with liquid hydrocarbons, on TITAN! There is really some amazing stuff happening in exploration of our solar system right now, Juno reaching Jupiter, Cassini exploring Saturn, moons with WATER oceans beneath their crust, Enceladus spewing geysers from its south pole, it's just some amazing reading and if you do nothing but play video poker and vulture Ultimate-X, you might miss this stuff. This article is about Cassini and Saturn's moon Titan. I seldom use the word "awesome", but this is.

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/2927/cassini-finds-flooded-canyons-on-titan/
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 14th, 2016 at 5:45:38 PM permalink
Here's a screen shot from a short video I had from a couple months ago of the ISS flying from the NW to SE past Mars the night Mars was at its closest to earth. Obviously Mars is the orange dot. I accidentally deleted the video a while back though.

DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
bobbartop
bobbartop
August 14th, 2016 at 6:03:35 PM permalink
I've been watching Mars for months now each night as I take my walk after the sun sets and the temps go down. It was going west, and now it has abruptly changed to go east, towards Antares, with Saturn just above them. Of course, this is mostly Earth's movement. It's orange alright, like a little tangerine. There's some pretty interesting stuff lately coming from the rover there too.

And then if you look at Antares, it's obviously orange also.

That's a great pic you took, too bad you lost the video. Very cool. What did you take the pic with? I don't own a telescope, but maybe I'll buy one with my next royal. There's more to life than just gambling. (just kidding)
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 14th, 2016 at 6:17:23 PM permalink
Just the camera on my phone. Was a good clear night with the ISS almost directly overhead not long after sunset. It's real bright at those times and cannot be missed.

There are a few websites where you can track it's location. Could even mess with people in Vegas (Or anywhere) as it flies overhead making them think it's a UFO! Especially on nights where it disappears into the earth's shadow.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
August 14th, 2016 at 7:10:04 PM permalink
Delete. Im high
Last edited by: RogerKint on Aug 14, 2016
100% risk of ruin
bobbartop
bobbartop
August 14th, 2016 at 7:36:11 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Delete. Im high

Too late, I read it. lol

Put the bong away, Roger.

By the way, I didn't drop out, it was more like expelled.
RogerKint
RogerKint
August 14th, 2016 at 7:50:47 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Too late, I read it. lol

Put the bong away, Roger.

By the way, I didn't drop out, it was more like expelled.

Thanks for understanding. I didn't mean to dook all over your thread. Hulk Hogan made those leg drops look so real, though!
100% risk of ruin
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 14th, 2016 at 7:56:22 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Hulk Hogan made those leg drops look so real, though!

Those leg drops really F'd up his back though. I think he even said it caused him to lose a few inches of height from spinal compression.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
August 14th, 2016 at 8:30:07 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

There are a few websites where you can track it's location. Could even mess with people in Vegas (Or anywhere) as it flies overhead making them think it's a UFO! Especially on nights where it disappears into the earth's shadow.

That's pretty funny just because it is actually going to go almost right over Vegas in just 45 minutes or so, (written at 8:30 pacific time on 8/14), and it will go into eclipse soon after, (over AZ).

I think this is the best site for tracking not just the shuttle, but other objects as well.
http://www.n2yo.com/
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
August 14th, 2016 at 8:40:22 PM permalink
Oops, a little sooner than that. Right now it's just passing over Tokyo, and should be right over Las Vegas at about 9 PM. For those that have never seen it, it looks just like a large, moving star. This pass is about as bright as it gets, at -2.4. For comparison, Sirius is the brightest star at -1, and the moon runs around -14, (as I recall).

It goes by about every hour and a half, and I've seen 2 passes in a night before. It's about 240 miles up so it becomes eclipsed by the earth relatively quickly after the sun sets. It's traveling about 16,500 MPH.
RogerKint
RogerKint
August 14th, 2016 at 8:48:22 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Those leg drops really F'd up his back though. I think he even said it caused him to lose a few inches of height from spinal compression.

Yeah, well you gotta crack some eggs if you want to make some omelettes. Just look at what happened to Gus Grissom of Apollo 1 fame who was an outspoken unbeliever in the program. "How are we going to make it to the moon when we can't talk between two buildings." He and his crew later burned alive inside their craft during a pre-launch test.
100% risk of ruin
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 14th, 2016 at 9:02:07 PM permalink
Quote: Hullabaloo

Oops, a little sooner than that. Right now it's just passing over Tokyo, and should be right over Las Vegas at about 9 PM. For those that have never seen it, it looks just like a large, moving star. This pass is about as bright as it gets, at -2.4. For comparison, Sirius is the brightest star at -1, and the moon runs around -14, (as I recall).

It goes by about every hour and a half, and I've seen 2 passes in a night before. It's about 240 miles up so it becomes eclipsed by the earth relatively quickly after the sun sets. It's traveling about 16,500 MPH.

Should still be visible...

Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
August 14th, 2016 at 9:18:57 PM permalink
I walked outside at 9 and there it was headed straight for me. If anyone was watching and saw it go into eclipse it did so almost right on top of me, (Northern AZ).
bobbartop
bobbartop
August 14th, 2016 at 9:28:58 PM permalink
Quote: Hullabaloo

I think this is the best site for tracking not just the shuttle, but other objects as well.
http://www.n2yo.com/

Thank you for this link. I just got back from my walk, it looks like it just went over Uruguay. I will bookmark this, thanks.
BarneyJ
BarneyJ
  • Threads: 0
September 16th, 2016 at 5:57:19 AM permalink
Cool! But it's just interesting to see them more closely!
But still, very cool!
  • Jump to: