odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 26th, 2010 at 5:48:29 AM permalink
I realize this will [likely] not be a good topic for a majority here, but I wonder if some of you have also seen some of the movies that have been made about famous composers. I have been quite surprised how good some of them are, and for surprising my wife on her birthday may buy some DVDs. Any input available will help!

2 short reviews of my own:

"Amadeus" first one of genre I saw, really good of course, always wondered though if [what's his name] portrayed Mozart's laugh correctly [he made it real goofy].

"Immortal Beloved" about Beethoven's love life, surprisingly interesting, but even more intriguing is the convincing speculation in the film that the kid he adopted was his son. IIRC, apologies if I have mixed up something.

>>>

So I am interested to know if anyone has seen:

"Chopin: Desire For Love" ok, somehow, this doesnt sound good but you never know

"Copying Beethoven" fairly new?

"Tchaikovsky"

"Song without End" about Liszt

"Double life of Franz Schubert"

or any other reccomendations in this vein.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 26th, 2010 at 7:02:20 AM permalink
Sorry. Can't be any help. The only one I saw was Amadeus. Since you asked about whether the laugh was portrayed correctly, I though I would comment that the film was generally viewed as almost a complete work of fiction, based in only the loosest way on the actual people's lives. It was entertaining, though, and the music was outstanding, of course.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 26th, 2010 at 4:18:29 PM permalink
I haven't seen the other movies on your list, but I did recently see a film called, "August Rush" which is a fictional work. Robin Williams plays a svengali type character to a young music prodigy on the streets of New York. Not a biographical work, but your wife might enjoy it.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 26th, 2010 at 4:29:36 PM permalink
The movie The Red Violin (1998) or "Le violon rouge" is fascinating to almost everyone who sees it. See if you can guess the ending.

Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky (2009) got very good reviews.

Topsy-Turvy (2000) is about Gilbert and Sullivan light operas. It is supposed to be superb.

"The World's Greatest Musical Prodigies" (2009) is exciting.

Ray (2004) deserved its accolades.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 27th, 2010 at 2:47:36 AM permalink
Thanks for all the input!

btw while looking to see what was supposed to be the inaccuracy about "Amadeus", couldn't find too much except that all the bit about Salieri has always been speculation, some other versions having him actually poison Mozart. The newest theory on his death is that Trichinosis got him. Here is a good account of all the theories.

Sort of odd that masterjules dot net had a good article, it is a goofball site generally.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: