Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 30th, 2015 at 12:18:17 PM permalink
Mrs and I flew to Vegas last month.

Saturday, she started feeling light headed, dizzy, couldn't keep her balance. I took her to the emergency room, it turns out she has pulmonary embolisms in both lungs, and in her left leg. It was deep vein thrombosis, and the doctors think it was from that flight. We were in middle/window seats and just stuck it out for the 4 1/2 hours.

She's doing okay, there was no cardiac damage from the additional strain, but she's still in the gray area for the clots being stable; but every day is a little better, she's been on heparin and Coumadin, when they are sure she is stable she'll be released and stay on the Coumadin for 3-6 months, at which time she'll be reevaluated, and may need to stay on it.

She and I are on the higher risk side; 60ish, overweight, somewhat sedentary in life. But a friend of ours who is active had the same thing happen, the clot went to her heart, and it was too late.

So, move around on those flights and road trips of over 2 hours. Your life is at stake.
A falling knife has no handle.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 30th, 2015 at 12:22:07 PM permalink
Scary story, Mosca. Glad she seems to have come through
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
November 30th, 2015 at 12:47:18 PM permalink
Good advice.
It is not that common of a problem in the grand scheme of things, but it is real.
It does kill people.
Get up and move about, do it often...
Unless you're 30 minutes out of Dulles or Reagan Nat'l on a plane.
You can't even get up to pee then....
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 30th, 2015 at 2:41:13 PM permalink
I'm glad to hear Mrs. Mosca seems to be doing well, I hope that continues. Also, very sound advice.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 30th, 2015 at 2:46:14 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Mrs and I flew to Vegas last month.

Saturday, she started feeling light headed, dizzy, couldn't keep her balance. I took her to the emergency room, it turns out she has pulmonary embolisms in both lungs, and in her left leg. It was deep vein thrombosis, and the doctors think it was from that flight. We were in middle/window seats and just stuck it out for the 4 1/2 hours.

She's doing okay, there was no cardiac damage from the additional strain, but she's still in the gray area for the clots being stable; but every day is a little better, she's been on heparin and Coumadin, when they are sure she is stable she'll be released and stay on the Coumadin for 3-6 months, at which time she'll be reevaluated, and may need to stay on it.

She and I are on the higher risk side; 60ish, overweight, somewhat sedentary in life. But a friend of ours who is active had the same thing happen, the clot went to her heart, and it was too late.

So, move around on those flights and road trips of over 2 hours. Your life is at stake.

Mosca/Mrs. Mosca,

So very sorry to hear this happened. Very glad you got prompt and proper care and are on the way to recovery. My best to you both.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
November 30th, 2015 at 5:26:53 PM permalink
We were just talking about this at work last week. I recently got a huge client. I can sit for 10 or 12 hours at a time doing their account. A Co worker of mine said that I should get up every 90 minutes or so and take a walk around the office.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
November 30th, 2015 at 8:37:33 PM permalink
Good to always do calf raises and knee raises in your seat on planes (trains or autos) when sitting for prolonged periods of time

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en/travel-information/your-health/inflight-exercise.html

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 30th, 2015 at 9:55:45 PM permalink
On my last flight to Vegas there was guy that stood in the
aisle for the whole flight, when belt sign was off. It was
very irritating to a lot of people, but he refused to sit
down on 'doctors orders', or so he claimed.

I try and sit in the recliner if I have to sit for a long time,
legs out in front of me. I have computer stand that puts
the laptop right in front on a small desk. I've read
that there's a new ergo office chair that acts like a
recliner, feet in front of you, you're half laying down.
They say people get more work done and are never
uncomfortable. A hundred years ago it was unpadded
oak chairs, work was supposed to be painful.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
ajemeister
ajemeister
  • Threads: 16
December 1st, 2015 at 6:22:26 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Good to always do calf raises and knee raises in your seat on planes (trains or autos) when sitting for prolonged periods of time

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en/travel-information/your-health/inflight-exercise.html

good luck trying to do that in today's planes... I can barely squeeze my feet and knees in as it is..
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
December 1st, 2015 at 6:35:16 AM permalink
If you consume vast amounts of alcohol before and during a long flight you are certain to get up and move around due to frequent bathroom breaks. It works for me. And makes flying slightly more tolerable.

Plus, arriving at your destination completely smashed is a nice bonus.

Mosco- glad wifey is okay. Good thread.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
December 1st, 2015 at 10:36:53 AM permalink
Could one just take some aspirin before sitting to avoid this?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
December 1st, 2015 at 11:18:39 AM permalink
Alcohol dilates the blood vessels. So shouldn't that help prevent clots from forming?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 1st, 2015 at 3:25:51 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

Alcohol dilates the blood vessels. So shouldn't that help prevent clots from forming?

Alcohol is a desiccant to a greater degree than it dilates the blood vessels. Dehydration encourages/exacerbates conditions favorable to clot formation. (It may even be that the dilation is the body's reaction to the dehydration; I'm not sure about that part.) So I think the overall effect is negative.

Moral to this story: Bourbon with branch water! lol...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
December 1st, 2015 at 3:57:14 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Could one just take some aspirin before sitting to avoid this?

Well, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on tv, but, according to Harvard Medical School - you are correct
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 1st, 2015 at 7:04:14 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Well, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on tv, but, according to Harvard Medical School - you are correct

I take four aspirins a day, because I'm worried about having a heart attack in my sleep. I take the one in the morning I was prescribed, and three right before bed.
A falling knife has no handle.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 1st, 2015 at 7:19:51 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I take four aspirins a day, because I'm worried about having a heart attack in my sleep. I take the one in the morning I was prescribed, and three right before bed.

Aspirin overkill. I've been taking one enteric
coated aspirin a day for 25 years. Research
shows any more than that is a waste of
time. You also might be hurting your digestive
system, even with too much coated aspirin.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
  • Jump to: