4 votes (11.11%)
8 votes (22.22%)

36 members have voted

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 226
June 25th, 2015 at 7:37:08 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Everybody sing along regarding the confederate flag :-)
Na Na Na Na Hey Hey-ey Goodbye

Might as well sing it for personal freedom as well.

Because there is no racism in areas of the country that were not in the CSA, right?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
June 25th, 2015 at 7:39:36 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Everybody sing along regarding the confederate flag :-)
Na Na Na Na Hey Hey-ey Goodbye

Yes, we shall sing along. We'll do what makes us feel good. Make a whole lot of noise and actually do nothing.

It is great sport, of course.

I'm happy to see you are proud of that. You, like many, are not listening to anyone who says anything except "remove flags." I expect that. Take down the flag if you must, but address the real issues of racism. It is great to be caught up the frenzy, every Republican and Democrat trying to get some TV time if they are in favor of removing flags, but how many of them of spoken of anything but symbolic actions?

It is real actions that get things done.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
June 25th, 2015 at 7:49:01 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

No votes for State citizen first?
Got no Texans here? ;-)

The citizens of the Republic of Texas respectfully abstain from the poll. ;-)
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
June 25th, 2015 at 9:07:46 AM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

I hate how apologists for the confederacy have sullied the name of the states, so now everything has to get done federally or it's no good. By the time of the Civil War, a citizen of a free state could go to a slave state, buy a slave, return to their home state, and keep that slave in perpetuity, with state authorities required to help against any escape attempt. And because that's what "state's rights" has come to mean, we essentially can't have any policy more significant than driver cell phone use end at a state line, all of us standing or falling with Alabama and Wisconsin.

Heh. I wonder if there are cemeteries in Germany where soldiers are buried under tasteful little hakenkreuze...

Good post, I think...
I do not believe I understand '"I hate how apologists for the confederacy have sullied the name of the states, so now everything has to get done federally or it's no good". I know I have quoted maybe out of context, but I'm trying to understand what you meant, trying hard. Can you help me? I liked, thought maybe I liked the rest of the thread, but I'm lost on the overall point I fear. If you don't mind, could you elaborate?
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
June 25th, 2015 at 9:09:32 AM permalink
I do believe the Texans have arrived at the party, you know, just looking at the poll ;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 226
June 25th, 2015 at 11:12:28 AM permalink

I do believe the Texans have arrived at the party, you know, just looking at the poll ;-)

Once a guy from Texas said that other than how fast I talk I would make a good Texan. He didn't know it but that made my week!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
NYSith
NYSith
  • Threads: 0
June 25th, 2015 at 6:50:57 PM permalink

No votes for State citizen first?
Got no Texans here? ;-)

I live there now, but I'm a transplant. Then again, the people I meet from East Texas say I live in a foreign country so I'm not sure if I really live in Texas or not based on their metrics.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
June 25th, 2015 at 7:11:56 PM permalink
There was a show on the History Channel a few years ago called "How the States Got their Shapes" I believe in one of the episodes it stated that Texas was originally supposed to be broken up into five separate states.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
June 25th, 2015 at 8:19:55 PM permalink
Quote: AceCrAAckers

Some people find offense at the Confederate flag but Confederate flag does not equal slavery.

It means a bit more than slavery, but the issue is that it contains, or also embodies, slavery status acceptance for the American Black in this country, at least at one time, and with some pushy rebel sentiment at this point, also.

One can argue the Nazi flag of the third Reich is simply "a heritage thing" also, and that there were other goals within the Third Reich, such as other Utopian ideals and economic policies, etc. There probably exists graves of old German soldiers with swastikas. Swastikas are outlawed in Germany as flags to be publicly sold, but pictures, images, and plates are keep for historical educational reasons in textbooks.

Heritage, yes.
What we're about now - no, hopefully not.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
June 25th, 2015 at 9:11:20 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Yup.

Great rebuttal Joeman. But Dan did say "just about any instance"...

• Jump to: