Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
  • Threads: 58
January 21st, 2015 at 10:44:03 AM permalink
I am seriously thinking morality, ethics and just plain old doing what is right is right---is out the door!

I own a business, 9 months old at this point and doing fairly well. Winter has been crazy busy providing more work than we could really handle. Wasn't going to open this business, sold another one and was in the process of doing something entirely different with the family. However, an opportunity came across and I capitalized on it. Down side, not enough qualified employees or the hours and the work is more than most accept any longer. I am in the environmental spill clean up business related to the commercial transportation industry (trucking and railroad mostly). Pay the employees considerably more than any other competitor does with more benefits, etc. Had this one employee from the start last year. Did a very good job but has financial problems. Hit me up last week for $2,690.00. Which I always had a rule since getting burned a long time ago. Never advance more than what is coming. I trusted him because the advance was to save his house from foreclosure. The next day he fails to show up and doesn't answer his phones. This morning I get the mail. Bankruptcy and I am named, personally and the business for the magical amount of $2,690.00.

Okay, slick move. Borrow some money and pay the lawyer and still have some left over for self-proclaimed severance pay I assume? Sad thing is, I have to pay his wages if he shows up for the last pay period. I don't think he will show up, but that's not really the point anyways. Sucks.
Bac79=Hazardous Material and Chemical person correcting other's mistakes. Non AP'er, I can't count cards, low intelligence. Sprinkles magical dust on the cards. Has a lucky monkey. Baby also has a green one. Sum it up: "It's okay just blame me, it's all my fault"! ( No one believes me--so I chose to stop posting)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 21st, 2015 at 10:49:57 AM permalink
Quote: Baccaratfrom79

Bankruptcy and I am named, personally and the business for the magical amount of $2,690.00.

You got off easy. In business you trust
nobody but family and sometimes not
even then. People think because you
own a business, you're automatically
rich and an easy target. In reality, most
small businesses are one bad month away
from closing the doors.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
January 21st, 2015 at 10:55:51 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You got off easy. In business you trust
nobody but family and sometimes not
even then. People think because you
own a business, you're automatically
rich and an easy target. In reality, most
small businesses are one bad month away
from closing the doors.

It wasn't even the amount, it was the way it was done. Funny part is, if he really needed to file BK and straighten up some other stuff, I think I still would have given it to him. He was a good performer with liabilities I knew he had.
Bac79=Hazardous Material and Chemical person correcting other's mistakes. Non AP'er, I can't count cards, low intelligence. Sprinkles magical dust on the cards. Has a lucky monkey. Baby also has a green one. Sum it up: "It's okay just blame me, it's all my fault"! ( No one believes me--so I chose to stop posting)
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 21st, 2015 at 11:09:17 AM permalink
Quote: Baccaratfrom79

It wasn't even the amount, it was the way it was done. Funny part is, if he really needed to file BK and straighten up some other stuff, I think I still would have given it to him. He was a good performer with liabilities I knew he had.

Yep, and then he'd have had a job through the rebuilding process. Now he's just got a negative reference.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 21st, 2015 at 1:36:09 PM permalink
I don't quite understand what happened. He's filing for bankruptcy? What's that gotta do with you? That dude just works for you, right?
Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
January 21st, 2015 at 1:48:27 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I don't quite understand what happened. He's filing for bankruptcy? What's that gotta do with you? That dude just works for you, right?

He did yes. And he included me on his BK case because he owes me a debt. I am 'stayed' by the federal court from collection or contact. I cannot take it from his pay. Might as well charge it off now as a bad debt.

He named me and my company on his BK as him owing the money to. Unless I want to contest and fight it, which don't have the time to do, I will just consider it a lesson and make my rules written in concrete now. I do believe there is probably something with the dates as so close to BK filing that made be valid for not having them included but like I said---it's all good. Even the thought of it and what happened makes me really reserved from helping anyone again.
Kerkebet
Kerkebet
  • Threads: 1
January 21st, 2015 at 2:31:07 PM permalink
"I'm thinking there is no morality left in employees/man?"

People are animals too. The same skin and bones in a different shape isn't going to alter the outcome.

Today, a young guy and wife and kids butted into the grocery line in front of a few of us. I didn't say anything right away, because I wasn't sure that that was what they were doing. After the check out, I mentioned to her that was rude. Well, things went into a tail spin from there. She said a bunch stuff starting with, "I'm pregnant, you should talk to my husband a man, blah, blah." Her husband was already out the door by then. So, on my way out, I made sure to walk past their truck to tell him the same thing to his face. Some more yelling idiotic blah, blah, and you better keep walking stuff from him. I told the guy again, that was rude, and that was all I wanted to say. The woman was "ugly as sin", so I guess they were made for each other.

My God, if education is the answer, then most people stand no chance in the world. It's too expensive. "The masses lead lives of quiet desperation," I suppose.

At the other extreme, a lot of people carry weapons, and I could have been one of them gun-wielding "nuts" you read about on these forums.

Mostly, it's just that people will do a lot in consideration when they "have to go pee", but soon forget afterward. And, it may be better to say nothing at all, ie, just give up on the world for what it is.
Nonsense is a very hard thing to keep up. Just ask the Wizard and company.
HeySlick
HeySlick
  • Threads: 3
January 22nd, 2015 at 9:11:12 AM permalink
Quote: Kerkebet

"I'm thinking there is no morality left in employees/man?"

People are animals too. The same skin and bones in a different shape isn't going to alter the outcome.

Today, a young guy and wife and kids butted into the grocery line in front of a few of us. I didn't say anything right away, because I wasn't sure that that was what they were doing. After the check out, I mentioned to her that was rude. Well, things went into a tail spin from there. She said a bunch stuff starting with, "I'm pregnant, you should talk to my husband a man, blah, blah." Her husband was already out the door by then. So, on my way out, I made sure to walk past their truck to tell him the same thing to his face. Some more yelling idiotic blah, blah, and you better keep walking stuff from him. I told the guy again, that was rude, and that was all I wanted to say. The woman was "ugly as sin", so I guess they were made for each other.

My God, if education is the answer, then most people stand no chance in the world. It's too expensive. "The masses lead lives of quiet desperation," I suppose.

At the other extreme, a lot of people carry weapons, and I could have been one of them gun-wielding "nuts" you read about on these forums.

Mostly, it's just that people will do a lot in consideration when they "have to go pee", but soon forget afterward. And, it may be better to say nothing at all, ie, just give up on the world for what it is.

I sure understand your dismay with societies Disrespecting obnoxious people -- Personally I think you handled it just right. Just remember it takes a BIGGER Man to walk away from a fight, than it does to start one. Why fight with those poor children's moronic parents?
  • Jump to: