Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 18th, 2010 at 7:52:15 AM permalink
Ok, that may be more wishful thinking than fact.

The fact is killing soccer is what it will take for people to quit pestering me with it. Here are two examples:

1) It's common to do a department pool for "major" soccer tournaments. These kinds of small office bets are different than in America and elsewhere. For the World Cup, the idea is to predict the result of every game, adding secnod and third round games on each round, and whoever has the highest score wins. Fine. Except when I said I wasn't interested, all my coworkers got very upset and demanded I pony up the money and fill out scores for the 48 or so games in the first round. Of course I still refused, which caused a blizzard of indignation in the office.

Ok, I will occasionally bet on soccer around world cup time. Not that I'm interested, and I've never watched a game I bet on, but because sometimes I win. When that happens, the look of incredulity and outrage in the soccer fan's face is pricelss.

But, come on, filling out 48 individual results I'm not interested in? Following up the rest of the omnth as teams qualify for other rounds? That's work.

2) Mexico played the inagural game against South Africa last week. The game was trnasmited at 8:30 am local time, which happens to be the time when I usually arrive at the office. Everyone else at the office wanted to see the game, plus the preceeding opening ceremony, so they decided to meet for breakfast at a restaurant next door to the office at 7 am.

When I said I wouldn't go, well, I expect there are volcanoes that erupt less violently than the response I got. One frequent question was "How can you not watch the National Team play?" My answer was "It's still soccer, isn't it?"

I can understand getting up earlier than usual in order to do or see something you're intersted in. But in order to see something you're not interested in?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
June 18th, 2010 at 8:24:34 AM permalink
I understand where you're coming from.

I watch the SuperBowl only for the commercials. Despite the repitious attempts to get me to buy a box in dozens of pools that circulate my office, I don't participate at all.

Quote: Nareed

...plus the preceeding opening ceremony, so they decided to meet for breakfast at a restaurant next door to the office at 7 am.

When I said I wouldn't go, well, I expect there are volcanoes that erupt less violently than the response I got.

On the other hand, I tend to watch and enjoy the SuperBowl Halftime show, as well as the Opening Ceremony for Olympics, so, I can almost understand their reaction to you passing on the breakfast meeting. Until they went and made it about the game, rather than the ceremony:
Quote:

..."How can you not watch the National Team play?"

Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
Nareed
Nareed
June 18th, 2010 at 8:40:57 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

I watch the SuperBowl only for the commercials. Despite the repitious attempts to get me to buy a box in dozens of pools that circulate my office, I don't participate at all.

I don't bet on games I want to watch, it leeches all enjoyment out of them.

Anyway, that's what I mean. I know about the SB commercials, but in mexico we don't get to see them. Instead we get local ads, which are the same ones that run all year anyway.

Quote:

On the other hand, I tend to watch and enjoy the SuperBowl Halftime show, as well as the Opening Ceremony for Olympics, so, I can almost understand their reaction to you passing on the breakfast meeting. Until they went and made it about the game, rather than the ceremony:

I tend to skip the Superbowl halftime. For me it's about the game and only the game. I enjoy the opening rituals of getting someone famous or notable to toss the coin, and the fly-over by Air Force fighters. But that takes very little time.

I don't watch the opening ceremonies for the Olympics, either Winter or Summer. Just not my thing. So the opening for the World Cup holds no interest either.

BTW How is it that for the Summer Olympics one city and sometimes its surrounding area, are enough to host dozens of different sports for thousands of athletes, while in the World Cup you need an entire country to host one sport and surely less than 1,500 participants?
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
June 18th, 2010 at 9:10:22 AM permalink

BTW How is it that for the Summer Olympics one city and sometimes its surrounding area, are enough to host dozens of different sports for thousands of athletes, while in the World Cup you need an entire country to host one sport and surely less than 1,500 participants?

Because the Olympics has dozens of different types of games, using different types of venues. A single city can accomodate that.

Heck, some of the smaller sports use the same venue at the same time!

Soccer? You need all those soccer stadiums all at once. How many cities, or greater metropolitan areas, have more than a few that can be used at the same time?
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
Nareed
Nareed
June 18th, 2010 at 9:24:59 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Soccer? You need all those soccer stadiums all at once. How many cities, or greater metropolitan areas, have more than a few that can be used at the same time?

Mexico City and surroundings have 3 and one half pro-soccer stadiums. Depending on what you mean by the sorrounding area, say up to a 2 hour drive away, then there are 5 and one half stadiums. At 4 games per day, that should suffice. Add another half hour's drive, and you get yet another stadium.

BTW the half stadium has a full-size field, but seating for less than 30,000 people (perhaps less than 20,000), which makes it too small for major events.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 18th, 2010 at 10:08:49 AM permalink
Politics, I think. Organizers want to "spread the wealth." Part of the reason why the U.S. World Cup was held in Detroit, Dallas, L.A., New York, Miami, etc., which was ridiculous, since they just have easily could have held it in the Northeast Corridor and saved a bunch of money. (Just off the top of my head, you had Giants Stadium, Foxboro, RFK field, Veterans Stadium, Boston College's stadium, maybe expand it to the Carrier Dome and Rich Field in Buffalo ... Three Rivers ...)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
June 18th, 2010 at 10:21:35 AM permalink
Another thing that bothers me about soccer is the violence. The game itself is not violent or even rough, like say Football or hockey. But lots of fans all over the world wallow in violence before and after the game. Maybe you've heard of English hooligans and German skinheads at or near soccer games. But there's a lot more.

1) In 1986 Colombia arrived at the World Cup with great expectations, yet it was eliminated in the first round. One player, I forget who, scored a goal against his own team (about the equivalent of a safety in Football). Shortly after he returned to Colombia, and long before the 86 cup was over, he was murdered at some bar. I don't recall who killed him or why, or if there was an official finding one way or another, but rumors ranged from a disgruntled fan to a hit by drug lords.

2) Whenever two of the local Mex City teams play, America and UNAM (never mind the names), the police sets up separate entrances and exits for the "official" support/cheer squads for each team. They're even given separate routes in and out. If they chance to meet, it's like a matter-antimatter reaction. Regular fans are warned not to wear team colors on the street on the way to the game. Mostly fights are kept to a minimum, but the squads wind up shouting obscenities at each other's side all game long.

3) In Mexico sometimes fans throw firecrackers, big ones, to the stands lower down. People have been maimed and badly hurt. In the old days they threw beer bottle at the referee, too. Bottles have been baned from the stands.

What gives? Why the constant rioting, brawling and all around mayhem.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 18th, 2010 at 10:49:30 AM permalink

1) In 1986 Colombia arrived at the World Cup with great expectations, yet it was eliminated in the first round. One player, I forget who, scored a goal against his own team (about the equivalent of a safety in Football). Shortly after he returned to Colombia, and long before the 86 cup was over, he was murdered at some bar. I don't recall who killed him or why, or if there was an official finding one way or another, but rumors ranged from a disgruntled fan to a hit by drug lords.

It was '94 and Andres Escobar. Also, an own goal is way more damaging than a safety. But we'll let it slide since you're not a soccer fan ... :)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
June 18th, 2010 at 11:20:54 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

It was '94 and Andres Escobar. Also, an own goal is way more damaging than a safety. But we'll let it slide since you're not a soccer fan ... :)

You're right. Why did I think it was in 86? Anyway, the dates may be wrong, but the underlying facts are the same.

I know an own goal, if that be the term in English, is worse than a safety. Soccer employs a simplistic scoring system where every score is worth the same, unlike Football. But I can't give a tutorial every time I criticize Soccer.

BTW the editorials asking "When will America embrace soccer?" have already started. These pieces make two incredibly egregious mistakes:

1) They single out America as the sole country in the world where Soccer isn't the most popular sport. This ignores the entire Indian Sub-continent, Canada, Japan, Israel, Australia, South Africa(!) and many other countries where soccer is at best a distant second to other sports.

2) America doesn't need soccer. There's already a boring, low-scoring sport enjoyed by a sizable fraction of the US population: Baseball. Soccer would be redundant.
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
June 18th, 2010 at 5:55:52 PM permalink

You're right. Why did I think it was in 86? Anyway, the dates may be wrong, but the underlying facts are the same.

I know an own goal, if that be the term in English, is worse than a safety. Soccer employs a simplistic scoring system where every score is worth the same, unlike Football. But I can't give a tutorial every time I criticize Soccer.

BTW the editorials asking "When will America embrace soccer?" have already started. These pieces make two incredibly egregious mistakes:

1) They single out America as the sole country in the world where Soccer isn't the most popular sport. This ignores the entire Indian Sub-continent, Canada, Japan, Israel, Australia, South Africa(!) and many other countries where soccer is at best a distant second to other sports.

2) America doesn't need soccer. There's already a boring, low-scoring sport enjoyed by a sizable fraction of the US population: Baseball. Soccer would be redundant.

Occasionally I organized that box pool for the Super Bowl at my work...many people didn't want to play, and I was never upset. Some people don't find any enjoyment out of gambling, don't want to "waste" the money, or don't care about the sport. Your coworkers seemed out of line, but I can't speak for other cultures. Bring in a betting game that you come up with and force them to play. See how they like it.

• Jump to: