2 votes (11.11%)
8 votes (44.44%)

18 members have voted

thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 23rd, 2014 at 5:01:18 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Babs and Mr W are right, I misunderstood Cess's post. sorry Cess.

It wasn't the clearest statement I have ever written :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 23rd, 2014 at 5:06:01 PM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

Careful! You may be revealing that thecesspit was projecting a liberal trait on conservatives that conservatives don't actually have!

Laugh... fair point, I know not all conservatives think the same either.

I just find it amusing that many cons label 'liberals' as one huge mass. But the term 'con' and 'lib' are either labels to be proud off or insults, depending on your political hue, that divide into absolutes something that really isn't absolute at all, as we all know. And when we do group en mass, we aren't progressing anything forwards, really. Plus, I have raged against the American abuse of the word liberal before, anyways, and I'm sure folks are bored or don't care.

So I shall learn from my own point too.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
  • Threads: 15
July 23rd, 2014 at 5:23:54 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Laugh... fair point, I know not all conservatives think the same either.

I just find it amusing that many cons label 'liberals' as one huge mass. But the term 'con' and 'lib' are either labels to be proud off or insults, depending on your political hue, that divide into absolutes something that really isn't absolute at all, as we all know. And when we do group en mass, we aren't progressing anything forwards, really. Plus, I have raged against the American abuse of the word liberal before, anyways, and I'm sure folks are bored or don't care.

So I shall learn from my own point too.

Having spent time on both sides of the aisle now, what I can say is that this kind of thing (reduction-by-classification) occurs on both sides. I don't think it's a political trait as much as it is a human trait manifested in the political arena. I doubt that understanding that would stop the rancor, but a guy can dream. Meanwhile, a guy can spend time in internet forums where flaming is not the norm.

It is my perception, though, that the contemporary pop culture is geared way against conservatives. Nareed mentions the "abortion = holocaust" faction, and while that faction exists, I can't see an example of an abortion supporter being vilified in the media and ousted from, say, a CEO position like Brenden Eich was.

Nareed wonders what kind of policies the "abortion = holocaust" faction would implement. I think we can all have nightmares about that. The parallel, though, would be what the reaction of the not-"abortion = holocaust" faction on the right ... would they sit silently by and watch a draconian policy be played out in government and pop culture, or would they stand up where they think it should stop?

The answer is not knowable, but I would like to think they/we would. At least, I see pretty universal condemnation of the KKK on the right where I'm not seeing condemnation of "criticizing Obama/Holder = racist" on the left.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
  • Threads: 24
July 23rd, 2014 at 6:47:08 PM permalink
It's possible that Dungy thinks Sam isn't worth the circus because he's a marginal player. Vick is a star and is worth it. It's logical when you think of it that way.
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
July 24th, 2014 at 4:46:54 AM permalink
Quote: Lemieux66

It's possible that Dungy thinks Sam isn't worth the circus because he's a marginal player. Vick is a star and is worth it. It's logical when you think of it that way.

Exactly!

Dungy voiced what a lot of other teams already thought when they dropped a projected 4th or 5th round pick to the bottom of the 6th round. All things being relatively equal, the distraction isn't worth picking Sam up. Now, once the you reach a level where Sam's talent is clearly better than the remaining picks then he'll get drafted because at the end of the day, talent and/or potential will take hold.

As or the criticism Dungy is receiving for his 'hypocrisy' between this and the Vick case, please stop. As Lemieux pointed out, Sam is a marginal player who will fight to make the team. Vick was third in the Heisman voting, drafted number one, and a three time pro-bowler in the most coveted position in American sports for the Falcons before he was convicted on the dog charges. With credentials like this, media distractions are of relatively little concern compared to the qb you may be getting. The more important concern in this situation is how advertisers may react considering his dog fighting activities.

I actually have more respect for Dungy now than I did before he made this statement. He was truthful rather than just reciting the same old PC bs that you get from so many other media people.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
July 24th, 2014 at 9:04:29 AM permalink
Media circus hurting a team?
Are you kidding me. These are professional football players.
If they cant perform due to a media circus, gee, maybe that player should be cut.
Problems for a team due to a media circus? cmon. The whole league is a media circus.
Biggest game, super bowl, and the NFL actually encourages a media circus days before the big game.
THE NFL loves the media circus surrounding the entire league.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 24th, 2014 at 9:15:12 AM permalink

If they cant perform due to a media circus, gee, maybe that player should be cut.
Problems for a team due to a media circus? cmon. The whole league is a media circus.
Biggest game, super bowl, and the NFL actually encourages a media circus days before the big game.

Bad argument. Not every player can deal with it. In that case it brings the team down as a whole.
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
July 24th, 2014 at 9:19:22 AM permalink
Quote: Lemieux66

Bad argument. Not every player can deal with it. In that case it brings the team down as a whole.

If you make it to the super bowl, you better deal with it. Media day prior to the super bowl requires mandatory attendance to the NFL's biggest media circus of the year.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
July 24th, 2014 at 9:20:07 AM permalink

Agreed that the NFL not only likes, but absolutely needs the media to report on, talk about, and cover the league in all sorts of different ways to keep the machine strong.

That same sentiment doesn't apply to the coaching mentality. Coaches by their nature are controlling and many loathe the media and the distractions (real or perceived) that it creates. Dungy is speaking from a coaching background so his views shouldn't be too surprising.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
July 24th, 2014 at 9:22:54 AM permalink

If you make it to the super bowl, you better deal with it. Media day prior to the super bowl requires mandatory attendance to the NFL's biggest media circus of the year.

That's different. Both teams go through that AND at least it's in the big game and not potentially sabotaging your season before it even starts.

What needs to happen is a really good gay player needs to be drafted. It'll be a minor circus and he will be worth it. Next time it won't be a big deal for the average drafted gay player.

• Jump to: