1 vote (5.55%)
2 votes (11.11%)
8 votes (44.44%)

18 members have voted

MrWarmth
MrWarmth
  • Threads: 15
July 23rd, 2014 at 10:38:06 AM permalink
So ... Tony Dungy weighed in on Michael Sam. Dungy, a highly respected coach and outspoken Christian, said that he wouldn't have drafted Sam because he "didn't want to deal with it." When asked for clarification, Dungy said the phrase was in reference to the media circus surrounding Sam, and not to Sam's sexual orientation or its effect (if any) inside the locker room. Ironically, he made this clarification to a media circus.

Anyway, what do you think? As always, you can vote for more than one option.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
July 23rd, 2014 at 10:42:41 AM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

So ... Tony Dungy weighed in on Michael Sam. Dungy, a highly respected coach and outspoken Christian, said that he wouldn't have drafted Sam because he "didn't want to deal with it." When asked for clarification, Dungy said the phrase was in reference to the media circus surrounding Sam, and not to Sam's sexual orientation or its effect (if any) inside the locker room. Ironically, he made this clarification to a media circus.

Anyway, what do you think? As always, you can vote for more than one option.

How about that media circus surrounding Michael Vick. Dungy doesn't have a problem with a media circus surrounding the Eagles, he supported Vick.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
July 23rd, 2014 at 10:57:09 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

How about that media circus surrounding Michael Vick. Dungy doesn't have a problem with a media circus surrounding the Eagles, he supported Vick.

I'm not trying to judge Dungy, just asking what folks think.

Is there a media circus around the Eagles? Was there one when Vick returned? Did Dungy comment on it at the time? Any links would be helpful. If Dungy has a problem with Sam and not Vick, that might be interesting to hear why, although from a Christian perspective, Vick admits guilt where Sam doesn't.

NOTE: I'm not saying Sam is guilty of anything. I am saying that Christianity condemns homosexual behavior (not sure what it says about the predilection) and Sam hasn't fessed up to that in the same way Vick has. But again, I'm not saying Sam has to "fess up" at all. Since I've bookended the comment with that, and am now pointing to that bookending, I hope my thinking is unambiguous. I guess we'll see ...
terapined
terapined
July 23rd, 2014 at 11:01:21 AM permalink
Tony Dungy's Michael Sam comments reek of hypocrisy
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/en-fuego/os-tony-dungy-michael-sam-comments-20140721,0,5898078.post
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
July 23rd, 2014 at 11:02:04 AM permalink
I think what he would mean if he could speak freely (totally reading between the lines) is that he didn't want to deal with the locker room issues any team is bound to have after what's gone on so far, and knowing some of the guys who went on to NFL play here and there. The media circus will only heighten that edginess, as every other guy on the team will be dogged about questions of whether it matters to them, are they uncomfortable, etc. The media will be hoping to get at least one guy making an inflammatory remark, and I'd bet money that, before the season is over, there will have been some fuss about somebody saying something that will get ramped into a "scandal". The whole thing will be a total distraction to any team working for focus and cohesiveness.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 23rd, 2014 at 11:02:31 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
July 23rd, 2014 at 11:10:12 AM permalink

Tony Dungy's Michael Sam comments reek of hypocrisy
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/en-fuego/os-tony-dungy-michael-sam-comments-20140721,0,5898078.post

That's an opinion piece which doesn't support what he says Dungy said with any links. Opinion pieces are fine, but they're not expository. Call me cynical, but when opinion pieces talk about someone's behavior in the past, they are rarely telling the whole story.

We have a writer who has an obvious liberal bent (which is fine) pulling from a memory of something that happened five years ago without any research (at least, there's none presented in the column). Whatever it is, it's way, way short of demonstrating hypocrisy. And, as I recall, Falcons owner Arthur Blank said he didn't want Vick back because it would be a distraction ... does that mean Blank would be cleared of hypocrisy/anti-homosexual charges if he also said it about Sam?

I'm not asking for exhaustive hyper-evidence here, just a link or two that reports and doesn't opine.
terapined
terapined
July 23rd, 2014 at 11:22:33 AM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

That's an opinion piece which doesn't support what he says Dungy said with any links. Opinion pieces are fine, but they're not expository. Call me cynical, but when opinion pieces talk about someone's behavior in the past, they are rarely telling the whole story.

We have a writer who has an obvious liberal bent (which is fine) pulling from a memory of something that happened five years ago without any research (at least, there's none presented in the column). Whatever it is, it's way, way short of demonstrating hypocrisy. And, as I recall, Falcons owner Arthur Blank said he didn't want Vick back because it would be a distraction ... does that mean Blank would be cleared of hypocrisy/anti-homosexual charges if he also said it about Sam?

I'm not asking for exhaustive hyper-evidence here, just a link or two that reports and doesn't opine.

At work, in a training class but its remote training and boring. Quickly posted 1st thing I found while surfing internet while trainer helping individuals. Your criticism of the link is valid. Sorry.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
July 23rd, 2014 at 11:25:50 AM permalink
In Tonys response to this issue he stated the interview was done months ago right after the draft and during the time Sam was talking to the O Network about a TV show.

This is just more liberal nonsense trying to control what anyone says. Pity the poor fool who speaks his mind anymore about something liberals don't agree with.....see Anthony Cumia.
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
July 23rd, 2014 at 11:26:56 AM permalink

At work, in a training class but its remote training and boring. Quickly posted 1st thing I found while surfing internet while trainer helping individuals. Your criticism of the link is valid. Sorry.

Not a problem, you don't owe me an explanation, and I appreciate the effort. I'm not looking to validate a particular view and it's not like I'm the Final Word and Sole Arbiter of these things anyway (unless your name is LarryS).

Actually, you represent a lot that is good about this forum's members. Ibeatyouraces should have a little more confidence in us!

• Jump to: