Poll

3 votes (16.66%)
6 votes (33.33%)
No votes (0%)
5 votes (27.77%)
1 vote (5.55%)
6 votes (33.33%)
1 vote (5.55%)
2 votes (11.11%)
8 votes (44.44%)

18 members have voted

terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 5787
July 23rd, 2014 at 11:30:33 AM permalink
Quote: Boz


This is just more liberal nonsense trying to control what anyone says. Pity the poor fool who speaks his mind anymore about something liberals don't agree with.....see Anthony Cumia.



Dungy has freedom of speech. Allways had it, allways will. He has the freedom to express his views.
I also have freedom of speech. I have the freedom to critisize his views. Crititicism is not controlling somebody's speech.

(I cant spell :-) )
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 155
  • Posts: 5701
July 23rd, 2014 at 12:49:52 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Dungy has freedom of speech. Allways had it, allways will. He has the freedom to express his views.
I also have freedom of speech. I have the freedom to critisize his views. Crititicism is not controlling somebody's speech.

(I cant spell :-) )



Neither can I! I appreciate those who accept my spelling mistakes while understanding my point.

That said, you are using an old liberal argument about freedom of speech. Yes it is there, but the pressure put on people they disagree with makes its use something people have to think deeply about before opening their mouths anymore.

And I don't know if you are a liberal or not, its just the consequences can be heavy for those who use "Freedom of Speech" on an issue that liberals don't agree with.
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 170
July 23rd, 2014 at 12:59:30 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Neither can I! I appreciate those who accept my spelling mistakes while understanding my point.

That said, you are using an old liberal argument about freedom of speech. Yes it is there, but the pressure put on people they disagree with makes its use something people have to think deeply about before opening their mouths anymore.

And I don't know if you are a liberal or not, its just the consequences can be heavy for those who use "Freedom of Speech" on an issue that liberals don't agree with.



I think that both of y'all are right on the facts of things. This "pendulum" has swung back and forth a gazillion times over the course of history. Greeks, Romans, Calvinsists, Reformationists, yada yada yada. Although I can't think of when it was last back on the liberal side, until about the 60s, the pendulum was squarely on the Victorian/prudish/biblical/whatever side. Over the last 50 years or so, it's swung to where it is now, at least in America ... certainly not Russia or Islam where homosexuality is condemned/illegal/punishable-by-death. It will swing again.

The question is, will today's liberals be happy with the "freedom of speech" line when it's their views that are being assaulted by the nominal popular culture?
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
July 23rd, 2014 at 1:12:36 PM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

The question is, will today's liberals be happy with the "freedom of speech" line when it's their views that are being assaulted by the nominal popular culture?



Remember the Dixie Chicks (whoever they are)? I think that answers your question.

In politics nothing is wrong, except when the other party does it.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 5787
July 23rd, 2014 at 1:31:15 PM permalink
I went to the University of Maryland in the late 70's
Everyday in the common area there was a young non student that preached the bible every day.
He had freedom of speech.
Everybody in this country has freedom of speech.
Now if this young preacher also sold apples while preaching and depended on this to survive.
His freedom of speech has consequences because people have the freedom not to buy his apples due to his views.
Regardless, he still has freedom of speech.
If you are in a business , yes there may be consequences to freedom of speech but the freedom itself is never taken away.
Most businesses dont want to fail, They have the freedom to take action so they dont fail.
Regardless of consequences, Freedom of speech remains a freedom.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 155
  • Posts: 5701
July 23rd, 2014 at 1:48:20 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I went to the University of Maryland in the late 70's
Everyday in the common area there was a young non student that preached the bible every day.
He had freedom of speech.
Everybody in this country has freedom of speech.
Now if this young preacher also sold apples while preaching and depended on this to survive.
His freedom of speech has consequences because people have the freedom not to buy his apples due to his views.
Regardless, he still has freedom of speech.
If you are in a business , yes there may be consequences to freedom of speech but the freedom itself is never taken away.
Most businesses dont want to fail, They have the freedom to take action so they dont fail.
Regardless of consequences, Freedom of speech remains a freedom.




Fast forward to Colleges today. Apples or no apples he would draw complaints to staff for pushing his religious views in a public area, offending some.

Times have changed and the liberals feel empowered enough to punish anymore who doesn't conform to their view of the world. And far to many have just accepted it, fearful of how they will be viewed by others.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14232
July 23rd, 2014 at 2:00:16 PM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

I think that both of y'all are right on the facts of things. This "pendulum" has swung back and forth a gazillion times over the course of history. Greeks, Romans, Calvinsists, Reformationists, yada yada yada. Although I can't think of when it was last back on the liberal side, until about the 60s, the pendulum was squarely on the Victorian/prudish/biblical/whatever side. Over the last 50 years or so, it's swung to where it is now, at least in America ... certainly not Russia or Islam where homosexuality is condemned/illegal/punishable-by-death. It will swing again.

The question is, will today's liberals be happy with the "freedom of speech" line when it's their views that are being assaulted by the nominal popular culture?



If we're talking America, rather than world-wide, I would say it was right on the liberal side up until 1981, when R. Reagan took office and AIDS first became widely known, along with the lead-up of the Iranian hostage crisis from 1979-81 and how that affected the elections . That changed the financial focus and the moral compass all at once; we needed a patriarch in charge, and the days of open marriage/free love/mary jane went very underground, if not almost extinguished. So did expense accounts, kids walking to school and playing outdoors til dark, a hundred other things. We went dark and paranoid, and we haven't come back out yet.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ahiromu
ahiromu
Joined: Jan 15, 2010
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 2102
July 23rd, 2014 at 2:13:15 PM permalink
I believe that he brings up a fair point, why would you risk a media circus over a 7th rounder, someone who might not even make your roster come September? People get passed up for a bunch of reasons that aren't football-related. It's a reasonable explanation and it's not my place to judge his motives.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
Joined: Jun 4, 2013
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 365
July 23rd, 2014 at 2:13:23 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Pity the poor fool who speaks his mind anymore about something liberals don't agree with.....see Anthony Cumia.



Oh please. The conservatives are far better at being the thought police than liberals could ever hope to be. See: The Dixie Chicks. See: Linda Ronstadt. See: Anyone who opposed the Iraq War during Bush's first term. See: Gay marriage as the boogeyman of the 2004 election and "moral values" trumping 9/11, Iraq, and a sinking economy as the number one issue - ALL because of the GOP's campaign.

In the 90s, anyone who didn't outright hate gays was judged to be gay and a pariah. No different from the 50s and 60s demand for whites to hate blacks. The right wing forces its agenda down the nation's throats, and when they lose, they cry out "Oppression!" and "Freedom!" and claim that the people whose rights they denied are now denying their rights. It's straight out of the playbooks of the hypocrites.

This is not to say that liberals - or any person on Earth - are without hypocrisy. The excessively PC crowd that faults all men for rape, all whites for poverty, etc. is just as much of a problem. However, hypocrisy is hypocrisy.
thecesspit
thecesspit
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
July 23rd, 2014 at 2:42:24 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Times have changed and the liberals feel empowered enough to punish anymore who doesn't conform to their view of the world. And far to many have just accepted it, fearful of how they will be viewed by others.



I love how liberals all have the exact same world view... which we don't, by the way...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

  • Jump to: