MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 28th, 2014 at 6:28:04 PM permalink
I just learned about this place, in Tonopah.

see: Clown Motel

Don't order ham for breakfast.

"What, me worry?"
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
June 28th, 2014 at 6:41:28 PM permalink
Gotta love it.

I immediate thought of the Seinfeld's Scared-of-them-Clowns episode.

I'd be scared to sleep in this place.....AND your tag line is "What, me worry?"

Hmm.....
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
MrV
MrV
June 28th, 2014 at 6:47:31 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

AND your tag line is "What, me worry?"

Here's a selfie:

"What, me worry?"
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
June 28th, 2014 at 7:20:09 PM permalink
Even more "I love it" here, Mr. V.

Mad Magazine was a big part of my formative years - the magazine's goals were to teach us all a sense of humor to survive the crazy world/country. It was truly a part of the nostalgia I feel for a few decades ago. That, along with Johnny Carson, my Plymouth Valiant, and the Mary Tyler Moore show made the world a seemingly more safe, comfortable, and sensible place. (And the clowns scared me, along with Jerry Seinfeld, apparently....)

Salud!
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 28th, 2014 at 7:43:38 PM permalink
Isn't that nice that it comes with a graveyard next door? Maybe Anthony Perkins is the desk clerk?

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
June 28th, 2014 at 7:45:31 PM permalink
IT'S GETTING CREEPIER BY THE MINUTE !!

You guys here have a very sharp and darkly humorous eye.... ;)
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
June 28th, 2014 at 8:12:41 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I just learned about this place, in Tonopah.

Don't order ham for breakfast.

Why is that? - If I may ask. I don't expect non-kosher food to be dangerous. Even served by a clown, it shouldn't be dangerous, just creepy.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 28th, 2014 at 10:36:47 PM permalink
I'm actually driving through Reno soon, who would like a trip report?

PS. I (4 letter F word)ing hate clowns.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
June 29th, 2014 at 12:24:31 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

I'm actually driving through Reno soon, who would like a trip report?

PS. I (4 letter F word)ing hate clowns.

Yes.

This would both be curious, - and worth a trip report. WTH.
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
June 29th, 2014 at 3:42:54 AM permalink
One of my favorite motel signs off the boulder strip heading downtown.

aahigh.com
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
June 29th, 2014 at 5:02:45 AM permalink
This was within walking distance up the street from "Pair-A-Dice" so you probably saw this fabulous resort a time or two:

It actually is a much nicer place to sleep now. Because it has been re-themed as a luxurious vacant lot after they finished hauling away the last of the rubble, leaving only the bare concrete slab it sat on to bake in the desert sun. It was near the venerable "Atomic Liquors." And the rate advertised on the marquee was no joke, and no bargain.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
June 29th, 2014 at 5:25:13 AM permalink
I'm kind of fascinated by the fear-of-clowns thing. As a kid I can remember being scared of various this and that; things older siblings etc. were enjoying. Perhaps I was prone to such. But I never feared clowns.

I think what happened to so many was that the older generation knew clowns from the days when the circuses coming to town was a big thing, and loving the clowns. IMO in that circumstance it was unlikely to be scared by the clowns, you had to be a certain age to go, and there was a certain 'remove' involved sitting there in the stands. Later, though, clowns started showing up close and personal at birthday parties and such. The parents had no idea the kids could be scared; but any little kids, wow, seems obvious now the clowns could scare the crap out of them.

No clowns ever showed up at any birthday party while I was real young. This saved me?

Just my theory. It is a very prevalent thing.

http://www.ihateclowns.com/
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
June 29th, 2014 at 5:57:43 AM permalink
I fear clowns that find it convenient to have their small motel isolated in the desert with a large graveyard out back.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
MrV
MrV
June 29th, 2014 at 9:08:29 AM permalink
delete
"What, me worry?"
MrV
MrV
June 29th, 2014 at 9:09:33 AM permalink
"Don't order ham for breakfast."

Quote:

Why is that? - If I may ask. I don't expect non-kosher food to be dangerous. Even served by a clown, it shouldn't be dangerous, just creepy.

The article I linked to has the following account, posted by a former guest at the Clown Motel:

" He told me when he looked out the window there was this creepy-ass clown facing away from the window, pants at his ankles, making a weird motion. He told me the clown slowly turned 90 degrees to look at him, my friend said he looked down to see this clown $#@%ing a full-sized dinner ham, when he looked up from the ham $^@!ing the clown was smiling and waving at him."

Maybe that explains why Jews avoid eating ham.

Whoa, could "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" be based on fact?

"What, me worry?"
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 29th, 2014 at 11:58:10 AM permalink
I stopped at the Clown Motel to look around last November. I heard about a play in Tonopah and went up to check it out. I didn't stay there but the lobby looks like any other $20 a night dirty motel except it is full of Clown memorabilia. The little graveyard next to it is pretty cool and is mainly full of the miners and their families from the early 1900's.

My wife and I ended up spending a couple of nights in Tonopah at the famous Mizpah hotel. We were able to stay in the "Lady in Red Room" where a hooker was killed in the 1920'a. That room is supposed to be haunted and is featured on lots of the ghost shows on TV.
Mizpah Hotel
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 30th, 2014 at 5:23:03 PM permalink
Barry Meadow has a great story about burning out a play in Tonopah in his book "Blackjack Autumn."
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 30th, 2014 at 8:05:26 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Barry Meadow has a great story about burning out a play in Tonopah in his book "Blackjack Autumn."

You can soon read about my hammed up encounter with a clown in my trip report. God sometimes I wish I never read some forums posts at all, because now I am extremely curious as to what's going on out there.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 29th, 2014 at 6:01:39 PM permalink
As I knew would happen, I finally downed enough cocktails to order "Killer Clowns from Outer Space"

Actually, this kind of thing is a monitor on my drinking. Meh, pretty good, shows a few have gone by before I ordered the DVD I can't actually resist.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: