MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 8th, 2014 at 11:11:06 AM permalink
So, the owner of California Chrome: is he just whining, or has he a valid point?

Should the rules be changed to require horses to run in all three of the triple crown events?

He argues: " 'It says Triple Crown. You nominate your horse for the Triple Crown. That means three," said Coburn. "Even … the Triple Crown trophy has three points on it. … Those 20 horses that start in the Kentucky Derby should be the only 20 allowed to run in the Preakness and the Belmont for the Triple Crown.' "
"What, me worry?"
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
June 8th, 2014 at 11:19:53 AM permalink
Whining.

Tonalist didn't even qualify to run in the Kentucky Derby! So he should not be able to run in the other legs because Churchill Downs says he can't? So fixing it would mean cooperation between all tracks, which would never happen. Also, the system isn't really broken.

What I think they should do is just add one more week between Derby and Preakness and another week between Preakness and Belmont. So it would be 3 weeks between Derby and Preakness and 4 weeks between Preakness and Belmont. Then, more horses would compete in more legs. Chrome didn't deserve to win the race, and the owner is just whining.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
June 8th, 2014 at 11:21:12 AM permalink
Naw. If they had established that rule since day 1, or there abouts, then fine. To change it now would require throwing away all of the prior results.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
June 8th, 2014 at 11:22:03 AM permalink
There hasn't been a triple crown winner since the Kentucky Derby went to a point system for entry. Since then to run in the Derby a horse must run and place well in several races in the months prior to derby. So to be a triple crown winner the horse has to run and place well or win 7 to 10 races within a few months. Given that traditionally a horse would only run about once a month that is a lot to ask of a young horse.

Have no idea what the solution is or if any changes are even needed. The change for the KD entry system was to get away from the perceived unfare system that was in place before the points were brought in. Under the earlier old boys club type of system an upstart horse with no breeding like CC might not have even been able to run in the Derby, particularly because he was from California.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 8th, 2014 at 11:54:30 AM permalink
Quote: kenarman

There hasn't been a triple crown winner since the Kentucky Derby went to a point system for entry.

Didn't the 20-horse limit start in 1975? Or is the qualifying system different now than it was then?
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 8th, 2014 at 12:57:42 PM permalink
The triple crown is supposed to be a test of the best horse in three races. Obviously the system shows bias and doesn't test the horses under similar conditions. It's more like the effect of competing agendas right now and a broken rigged system. If anything, there just isn't enough money to tempt people to want the triple crown and you're better off destroying it for personal gain.
I am a robot.
JyBrd0403
JyBrd0403
  • Threads: 12
June 8th, 2014 at 1:44:34 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

The triple crown is supposed to be a test of the best horse in three races.

No, it's not and it never was. The Triple Crown is the 3 biggest races for 3 year olds. Now, if you've got a horse that's able to win all three races against the best competition in all 3 races (fresh horses included), how big of a badaaasss is he? How about if he just beats the same crappy horses he beat the last 2 races? I think the Dumb Ass Partners were just living up to their name.

On a side note, I'm sure glad I put that show money on Medal Count, he saved my arse.
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
June 8th, 2014 at 2:03:54 PM permalink
It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful.
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 8th, 2014 at 2:09:55 PM permalink
Quote: JyBrd0403

No, it's not and it never was. The Triple Crown is the 3 biggest races for 3 year olds. Now, if you've got a horse that's able to win all three races against the best competition in all 3 races (fresh horses included), how big of a badaaasss is he? How about if he just beats the same crappy horses he beat the last 2 races? I think the Dumb Ass Partners were just living up to their name.

On a side note, I'm sure glad I put that show money on Medal Count, he saved my arse.

Agreed.

Think about the triple crown in baseball. Is it fair that a guy who doesn't try to hit homeruns and instead just gets a lot of infield singles can win the batting average leg of the triple crown?
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 8th, 2014 at 2:43:48 PM permalink

So it's just statistics not having a winner in four decades or is it the system to blame? The strategy to make the most money seems to not even make an honest attempt to try and motivation is the problem. The triple crown needs financial motivation to be won with less emphasis no individual legs. Break purses in half and fatten the reward for triumph. Make the triple crown the advantage play.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 8th, 2014 at 2:46:31 PM permalink
Quote: HowMany

It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful.

Watchu talkin' about Willis?
I am a robot.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
June 8th, 2014 at 2:51:33 PM permalink
Was the owner of the winning horse at the Belmont the same guy that tried to buy 51% of CC before the Kentucky Derby>?

I guess we will never know
JyBrd0403
JyBrd0403
  • Threads: 12
June 8th, 2014 at 3:28:28 PM permalink

So it's just statistics not having a winner in four decades or is it the system to blame? The strategy to make the most money seems to not even make an honest attempt to try and motivation is the problem. The triple crown needs financial motivation to be won with less emphasis no individual legs. Break purses in half and fatten the reward for triumph. Make the triple crown the advantage play.

Your missing the point, the Triple Crown isn't a 3 race competition, it's an acknowledgement of a great accomplishment.

Like Finsrule pointed out, it's comparible to the triple crown in baseball. Winning the batting average title, is an impressive stand alone title, just like winning the home run and RBI titles. But, to win all 3 is an unbelievable accomplishment, it's the Triple Crown.

Same for the Triple Crown in horse racing. It's not a 3 race competition, it's an acknowledgement of the 3 biggest races in horse racing, that's it.
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 8th, 2014 at 3:35:37 PM permalink
There is no "triple crown" organization. Churchill Downs Incorporated owns the Kentucky Derby. I'm not even sure what organization owns the Preakness. And NYRA owns the Belmont.

None of the three really needs the triple crown to happen to be more profitable. The Preakness is the only one that sort of gets screwed, because horses generally skip that leg because it's just two weeks after.

That's why I could see them moving the Preakness to three or four weeks after the Derby. Then NYRA would have to move the Belmont, because they aren't going to run the Belmont the week after the Preakness. That's the most likely scenario.

Limiting the Preakness and Belmont to the horses that ran in the Derby won't happen, and it's not even an idea I like.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 8th, 2014 at 3:40:31 PM permalink
No I suppose I don't understand it all but I understand winning the triple crown isn't worth trying to win.
I am a robot.
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 8th, 2014 at 3:43:39 PM permalink

No I suppose I don't understand it all but I understand winning the triple crown isn't worth trying to win.

Winning the triple crown is worth it for the horses stud value. This is why fillies and geldings don't compete as often.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
June 8th, 2014 at 3:49:09 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

So, the owner of California Chrome: is he just whining, or has he a valid point?

Should the rules be changed to require horses to run in all three of the triple crown events?

He argues: " 'It says Triple Crown. You nominate your horse for the Triple Crown. That means three," said Coburn. "Even … the Triple Crown trophy has three points on it. … Those 20 horses that start in the Kentucky Derby should be the only 20 allowed to run in the Preakness and the Belmont for the Triple Crown.' "

Sure, let's also change the races so there is a month in between each and shorten the Belmont to 1 1/8th
Ridiculous - it is so rarely attained because it is so difficult - to change it will tarnish any subsequent winner.
HowMany
HowMany
June 8th, 2014 at 3:57:55 PM permalink
Perhaps Obama can just pick a horse and award that horse the Triple Crown. Hell, we don't even need to run any races. Then we can have a Triple Crown winner every year!
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 8th, 2014 at 3:58:44 PM permalink
The distance would tarnish it. But there wasn't always this spacing of the races. And actually, the races weren't always this distance. Things do change. Would an extra week between Derby and Preakness tarnish the triple crown? Nah.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 8th, 2014 at 4:05:56 PM permalink

Perhaps Obama can just pick a horse and award that horse the Triple Crown. Hell, we don't even need to run any races. Then we can have a Triple Crown winner every year!

Nobody cares about your political views. Please keep it intelligent and on topic.
I am a robot.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 8th, 2014 at 5:01:59 PM permalink

Your missing the point, the Triple Crown isn't a 3 race competition, it's an acknowledgement of a great accomplishment.

Who else remembers the Triple Crown Challenge, which was inspired by Spend A Buck winning the Derby and then passing on the Preakness and Belmont to try for (and win) something like a million dollar bonus by winning the Jersey Derby instead? It managed to shoot itself in the foot in its first year when Alysheba lost despite finishing first, first, fourth (Bet Twice finished second, second, first, and in its early days, the point system was 5-3-1-0), and then pretty much shot itself in the chest when Prairie Bayou ended up with the most points but lost on a technicality - presumably to prevent a horse from starting a race just to be eligible for the bonus and then pulling up, the rules required that a horse had to start and finish all three races, and he broke down (which led to him being put down) during the Belmont, so he didn't finish the race?
HowMany
HowMany
June 8th, 2014 at 5:14:58 PM permalink

Nobody cares about your political views. Please keep it intelligent and on topic.

Dude- if you want to keep it intelligent, perhaps you should delete everything you posted on this subject.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 8th, 2014 at 5:44:38 PM permalink

Dude- if you want to keep it intelligent, perhaps you should delete everything you posted on this subject.

you're invaluable
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: