Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
June 24th, 2017 at 5:32:09 PM permalink
Ok so wtf, my neighbor just bought a remote control lawn mower. What is next, a drone with a hedge trimmer attachment?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 24th, 2017 at 5:36:40 PM permalink
Here's my U.S.A./Canada vantage point. And as I said earlier, it's to the SOUTH.

DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
June 24th, 2017 at 6:02:12 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Sorry PG I just love giving you and other Canadians a hard time for being Canadian.

I know, I know, I shouldn't be so harsh on the less fortunate.

If it makes you feel any better, I was almost given dual citizenship (USA & Mexico) at a young age. So I'm almost half Mexican? Also, thanks to ancestry.com, it turns out I'm like 0.0002% black. My dad said something got f***** up on my mom's side of the blood line.

You're like captain planet and you get to say the N word .0002% of the time.
100% risk of ruin
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
June 24th, 2017 at 6:08:25 PM permalink
Do they have these in Vegas yet?

onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 24th, 2017 at 7:09:47 PM permalink
Am I the only one to ever think what good Canada is, considering eventually any ice age is going to squeegee the whole country off the map? Otherwise Canada doesn't seem that bad, but I say that with the Trailer Park boys clouding my judgement. Who wouldn't want to live in Nova Scotia in a trailer park? Looks like fun just giving up.
I am a robot.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
June 24th, 2017 at 8:03:26 PM permalink
Quote: Face

12. The border from Wisconsin all the way to Oregon cannot be breached by American soldiers.

So just which border is it for which Oregon is so important?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
June 24th, 2017 at 9:14:10 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

So just which border is it for which Oregon is so important?

LOL! Sorry, the west coast holds so little importance that I forgot Washington was on top. Chalk it up to typical American ignorance.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
June 24th, 2017 at 9:18:57 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

We also created basketball.

And we have forgiven you.

Quote: PG

Face what hate dragons?

The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
RogerKint
RogerKint
June 24th, 2017 at 9:46:54 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Do they have these in Vegas yet?

Yeah, I've seen them downtown. I think I've also seen videos of someone driving by and slapping every person's bottomside.
100% risk of ruin
rxwine
rxwine
June 24th, 2017 at 10:12:13 PM permalink
Which one is dealing the cards?

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
RS
June 24th, 2017 at 10:12:44 PM permalink
I'm 1/2 Canadian. It hasn't done me one bit of good.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
rxwine
rxwine
June 24th, 2017 at 10:13:39 PM permalink
Which half?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
June 24th, 2017 at 10:14:47 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Which half?

Lol. I wish I had a good reply to that.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
June 24th, 2017 at 10:25:18 PM permalink
Quote: Face

And we have forgiven you.

Quote: PG

Face what hate dragons?

Oh the Canadian geese. Those duckers (funny auto correct that I'll keep) are mean.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 24th, 2017 at 11:03:28 PM permalink
Belmont Park, home of The Belmont stakes, actually has a beautiful park/picnic area inside the grounds. There is a fairly large pond there and once upon a time there was a sign that read No Canadian Geese Allowed. Someone pointed out that perhaps the geese were French Canadian and sure enough, the sign is now in both languages.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
June 24th, 2017 at 11:44:35 PM permalink
A large contingent (estimated 30-50k) of Canadian geese used to winter in Rochester, MN. They took over a park with a warm - water pond, and would block traffic on the surrounding roads, and come after any dogs or children (let alone adults) foolish enough to approach them. I don't know if they're still in the area; it was a battle between those who saw them as a menace, and those who felt they had a right, even though it was basically downtown.
billryan
billryan
June 25th, 2017 at 12:06:32 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

A large contingent (estimated 30-50k) of Canadian geese used to winter in Rochester, MN. They took over a park with a warm - water pond, and would block traffic on the surrounding roads, and come after any dogs or children (let alone adults) foolish enough to approach them. I don't know if they're still in the area; it was a battle between those who saw them as a menace, and those who felt they had a right, even though it was basically downtown.

Thirty years ago, Long Island would get geese a few weeks a year as they flew back and forth. Then a few stayed year round. They were cute and people fed them. I guess the next fall, when their cousins stopped by, the geese convinced them to stay. Now they are everywhere.
There are some ways to get rid of them.
Purple kool aid powder. They eat almost anything but when they get a snoutful of that they rarely come back. Just don't put it down on a day when rain is expected.
I used to have a Labrador and we were at the park one day when a small gaggle of them were there. He'd chase them and they would fly 100 yards, and he'd chase them, rinse and repeat. After this went on three or four times, he is loping towards them, when one of the geese spreads his wings out, raise himself to its full height and runs towards my dog making obscene sounds I'd never heard a goose make. My dog, Banji, turned tail, ran past me and headed to the car. It was hysterical.
Next time we were at a park with them, he kept a respectable distance and ignored them.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 25th, 2017 at 12:49:01 AM permalink

Lol. I wish I had a good reply to that.

That happened to me the other day, only it was 20 years later I came up with a good comeback but now I forgot who and what already.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 25th, 2017 at 12:54:07 AM permalink
The "internet irregardless" police are going to crack down if you guys keep saying Canadian geese, it's Canada geese.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 25th, 2017 at 12:56:32 AM permalink

A large contingent (estimated 30-50k) of Canadian geese used to winter in Rochester, MN. They took over a park with a warm - water pond, and would block traffic on the surrounding roads, and come after any dogs or children (let alone adults) foolish enough to approach them. I don't know if they're still in the area; it was a battle between those who saw them as a menace, and those who felt they had a right, even though it was basically .

Same problem with Mill Creek Park in Youngstown. The park killed them all.
I am a robot.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
June 25th, 2017 at 11:08:37 AM permalink
Interesting facts:

Detroit is north of its neighbor across the Canadian border Windsor

Reno Nevada is west of San Diego

The grizzly bear is the state animal in California but no grizzly has been seen in California in almost 100 years

Apple has more money than the US treasury

The first man to own a slave in America was....a black man

The last man to be executed by firing squad in the USA asked for a bulletproof vest as his last wish

The furthest state south: Hawaii
north: Alaska
west: Alaska
east:....Alaska (I worked in high schools and would ask the geography teachers this question and no one ever got it right)
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
June 25th, 2017 at 11:58:07 AM permalink
Quote: vegas

east:....Alaska (I worked in high schools and would ask the geography teachers this question and no one ever got it right)

Even after I've now been handed the answer, I'm still not getting this one. Looking at a map of the continent, no part of Alaska is nearly east enough to even come close to the longitude of the Oregon & Washington coast, let alone become an unwelcome low-rent hobo Atlantic neighbor to the horror of Boston & Bangor.

*Dead scratches head and squints*

Is there some obscure little island the size of a craps table in the Aleutians that's so far out in the Pacific Ocean that it is actually on the other side of the International Date Line and/or on the other side of the meridian, putting it in the Eastern Hemisphere with Siberia? That's the only thing I can come up with to get to that answer. If that's it, shame on you, go sit in the corner of the East/West-North/South hemisphere lines until you can behave yourself in the lunchroom.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Jun 25, 2017
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
Doc
Doc
June 25th, 2017 at 1:46:37 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Is there some obscure little island the size of a craps table in the Aleutians that's so far out in the Pacific Ocean that it is actually on the other side of the International Date Line and/or on the other side of the meridian, putting it in the Eastern Hemisphere with Siberia?

No, and Yes. Yes it is on the other ("east") side of the 180th meridian, but no, not on the east side of the International Date Line, which is crooked in order to keep west of Attu.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
June 25th, 2017 at 2:46:30 PM permalink
Alaska is the farthest northern state in the U.S. and because of the Aleutian Islands, which stretch across 1,200 miles and over the 180° meridian of longitude, it makes Alaska the most eastern and western state. (wikipedia)
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 25th, 2017 at 4:51:26 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

Alaska is the farthest northern state in the U.S. and because of the Aleutian Islands, which stretch across 1,200 miles and over the 180° meridian of longitude, it makes Alaska the most eastern and western state. (wikipedia)

Now that's a fact that can win some bets. I'm not really sure if I'm understanding the eastern part right. Dont really know the Aleutian islands, must be they reach up into the north pole where all are so close before being stretched out nearer the equator.
I am a robot.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
June 25th, 2017 at 5:10:55 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Now that's a fact that can win some bets. I'm not really sure if I'm understanding the eastern part right. Dont really know the Aleutian islands, must be they reach up into the north pole where all are so close before being stretched out nearer the equator.

The Aleutians stretch past the 180th degree longitude into the eastern hemisphere making Alaska the eastern most of the 50 states.
billryan
billryan
June 25th, 2017 at 6:08:39 PM permalink
A promotional text today from the Rounders Bars reads “Purchase a bottle of wind & receive any free menu item.” We don’t know what wind is going for these days or how many menu items at Rounders are free, but this doesn’t sound like a bargain
LVA . Today
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 25th, 2017 at 7:45:10 PM permalink

I'm 1/2 Canadian. It hasn't done me one bit of good.

Wow all this time I didn't realize. You're good at hiding that.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
PokerGrinderbeachbumbabs
June 25th, 2017 at 8:10:37 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Wow all this time I didn't realize. You're good at hiding that.

I appreciate all of the Canadian "love". Canada is America north without the guns (well we have them, just not handguns and they are heavily regulated) and we are not as politically divided though the conservatives here have a disdain of our liberal government. We generally support helping the poor through welfare. We love our health care despite its faults (which do not include being left to die - our urgent care is actually awesome, it's our chronic care treatment that is lacking). We generally tolerate diversity and have put abortions and gay marriage well into our rear-view mirrors. We love hockey. And Tim Hortons. And generally admire any corporation that is home grown (such as Tim Horton's, Blackberry, Corel) and despise them when they sell off to other countries (Tim Hortons). We despite telecom companies and lack of competition but are misled when we are told that American companies offer more competition in these areas. We hate our oligarchies (like our banks, gas companies, and our telecoms who screw us over fee-wise).
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 25th, 2017 at 9:38:30 PM permalink
Since Wizard wouldn't accept this for a trivia question, I'll ask it here. Use spoilers and no googling.

Which country has the most time zones and how many time zones does it have?

Bonus question: Which two countries are tied for second most time zones, and how many do they each have?
billryan
billryan
June 25th, 2017 at 9:54:04 PM permalink
The standard answer is bullshit because I don't believe parts of distant lands where the native population doesn't even have Citizenship rights should be considered part of a country. Nor should an outpost in Antarctica.
Strange thing is until not that long ago, Russia had only one time zone for the entire nation, and not long before that, was still using the old calendar so it was 11 days behind.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 25th, 2017 at 10:18:05 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I appreciate all of the Canadian "love". Canada is America north without the guns (well we have them, just not handguns and they are heavily regulated) and we are not as politically divided though the conservatives here have a disdain of our liberal government. We generally support helping the poor through welfare. We love our health care despite its faults (which do not include being left to die - our urgent care is actually awesome, it's our chronic care treatment that is lacking). We generally tolerate diversity and have put abortions and gay marriage well into our rear-view mirrors. We love hockey. And Tim Hortons. And generally admire any corporation that is home grown (such as Tim Horton's, Blackberry, Corel) and despise them when they sell off to other countries (Tim Hortons). We despite telecom companies and lack of competition but are misled when we are told that American companies offer more competition in these areas. We hate our oligarchies (like our banks, gas companies, and our telecoms who screw us over fee-wise).

Why wont Kool-Aid sell packets to Canada anymore?
I am a robot.
RogerKint
RogerKint
June 25th, 2017 at 10:29:25 PM permalink

Since Wizard wouldn't accept this for a trivia question, I'll ask it here. Use spoilers and no googling.

Bonus question: Which two countries are tied for second most time zones, and how many do they each have?

The sun never sets on the British empire and all roads lead to Rome.
100% risk of ruin
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 25th, 2017 at 10:30:59 PM permalink

You want some packets? I'll fedex you some for a 200% up charge. :)

Assuming it's legal.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
RogerKint
June 25th, 2017 at 11:01:52 PM permalink

Same type of reason McDonalds has different nuggets there. The Canadian government is interested in lessening overall healthcare costs. Meanwhile Monsanto and every GMO and chemical additive company continues to pay our FDA off here in the States.
billryan
billryan
June 25th, 2017 at 11:36:25 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

The sun never sets on the British empire and all roads lead to Rome.

Because even God doesn't trust the English in the dark
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
June 26th, 2017 at 8:16:13 AM permalink

Russia - 8 or 9?

EDIT: Dang, I was wrong.... but kind of close...

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-highest-number-of-time-zones-in-the-world.html
billryan
billryan
June 26th, 2017 at 8:44:59 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Russia - 8 or 9?

EDIT: Dang, I was wrong.... but kind of close...

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-highest-number-of-time-zones-in-the-world.html

No, you are correct. Russia is the world's largest country and has the most time zones.
Does any sane person consider an American base in Antarctica America?
Why not count our Embassies, as they are American soil. Or our military bases?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 27th, 2017 at 12:16:22 AM permalink
REUTERS, with the help of an overly talkative Help Center Clerk, exposes a largely European based network of fake online stores that were used as 'cover' for payments to online gambling sites so that credit cards could be used and processing companies and banks would be unaware that no merchandise was actually shipped, it was just paid for.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 27th, 2017 at 12:33:17 AM permalink
I ordered cat food from Amazon that cost $25, then later a 10% off coupon was offered, then later again, the price went up to $27. So with the exact prices considered, the 10% off coupon saves you $.02.
I am a robot.
Doc
Doc
June 27th, 2017 at 5:28:36 AM permalink

I ordered cat food from Amazon that cost $25, then later a 10% off coupon was offered, then later again, the price went up to $27. So with the exact prices considered, the 10% off coupon saves you $.02.

My brain must not have clicked on yet today:

0.9*$27=$24.30

Looks like a $.70 savings compared to the original $25 price. What am I missing?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 27th, 2017 at 7:18:42 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

REUTERS, with the help of an overly talkative Help Center Clerk, exposes a largely European based network of fake online stores that were used as 'cover' for payments to online gambling sites so that credit cards could be used and processing companies and banks would be unaware that no merchandise was actually shipped, it was just paid for.

This aided largely Americans who wished to gamble but whose laws make credit card issuers and processors report transactions labled by card processors as being related to gambling. A fictitious purchase of burlap fabric gets a different processing code than a credit card transaction involving a casino. So the fake online stores were merely eletronic fronts for an online casino operator.

I guess the trick is how to operate such a store but keep Reuters from ruining it for other gamblers who get talkative.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 27th, 2017 at 7:18:42 AM permalink
How many think Reuters did a public service by exposing this?
billryan
billryan
June 27th, 2017 at 10:42:18 AM permalink
That depends what else.the stores were doing. An operation that exists for one money laundering purpose might just as easily launder drug or terror money.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 27th, 2017 at 11:05:54 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

That depends what else.the stores were doing. An operation that exists for one money laundering purpose might just as easily launder drug or terror money.

I don't know about that. There was a California corporation with some very businesslike name that did nothing but accept payments for Vegas casino markers. It never financed terrorism.

These were non fulfillment websites with over priced merchandise not likely to be of interest to real shoppers. The sites existed to process phantom purchases via credit card charges to "buyers" who had no expectation of receiving the merchandise they supposedly ordered.
rxwine
rxwine
June 27th, 2017 at 11:19:25 AM permalink

How many think Reuters did a public service by exposing this?

Well, there are always better things they could work on. You can go after the hordes that never returned their library books .
rxwine
rxwine
June 27th, 2017 at 11:20:44 AM permalink
I'm with Billyran though. Maybe, but don't really know what the full harm could be if any.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
June 27th, 2017 at 11:48:02 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

My brain must not have clicked on yet today:

0.9*$27=$24.30

Looks like a $.70 savings compared to the original $25 price. What am I missing?

I didn't give the exact figures rounding them down because I didn't feel like going to amazon just to tell the story. After I wrote this, went to Amazon again, and the price changed again. Originally was $25.15(on memory), then $27.94, and now again $29.97.

Quote: Amazon

2 items in your Cart have changed price.
IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Adult Original With Chicken Dry Cat Food 22 Pounds has increased from $27.94 to $29.97
IAMS PURRFECT DELIGHTS Pate Adult Wet Cat Food, Variety Pack Salmon, Chicken & Turkey, 3 oz. (Pack of 18) has increased from $9.99 to $12.99

I've heard Amazon frequently does this for people on subscriptions, which I am not, but they're out now and Ill just go to WalMart.
Last edited by: onenickelmiracle on Jun 27, 2017
I am a robot.
billryan
billryan
June 27th, 2017 at 11:52:02 AM permalink

I don't know about that. There was a California corporation with some very businesslike name that did nothing but accept payments for Vegas casino markers. It never financed terrorism.

These were non fulfillment websites with over priced merchandise not likely to be of interest to real shoppers. The sites existed to process phantom purchases via credit card charges to "buyers" who had no expectation of receiving the merchandise they supposedly ordered.

AKA Money Laundering. Taking money from illegal enterprises and turning it into clean transactions. Did they limit their laundering to only " good" people.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 29th, 2017 at 8:31:00 AM permalink
I hereby nominate (one is post-mortem, alas) these two idiots for a much-deserved Darwin Award:

see: book vs. bullet
"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: