beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
Thanks for this post from:
100xOdds
February 12th, 2020 at 11:50:40 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Why is the stock market skyrocketing these past 2 months like it was the tech gold rush of the 2000's?

In my uninformed opinion, it's due to burning the candle at 14 ends with current short-term policy gains, overinflating the value of the market.

As you say, just like the tech market bubble, or the housing market bubble.

I don't think any further speculation can avoid being political and so would suggest you open the discussion of this at DT instead.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
February 12th, 2020 at 10:56:22 PM permalink
market is on fire because hedge fund managers missed the boat in 2019 and now are playing catch up to keep their jobs and clients.
get second you pig
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
February 13th, 2020 at 6:14:05 AM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

market is on fire because hedge fund managers missed the boat in 2019 and now are playing catch up to keep their jobs and clients.

Explain this to me, please! On December 31 the worried hedge fund manager had a percentage gain or loss for last year and anything they do now does not change it. You don't believe there are still guys buying Tesla today to say, "see, I own Tesla, the hottest stock!" And a single investor will care about that compared to actual results which are easily quantifiable?
As you all know I do my own investing, as paying a percent or so for someone to guess instead of me guessing just isn't worth it!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
February 13th, 2020 at 7:06:10 AM permalink
Markets on fire, at least partially because interest rates suck. Where should I park my billions in pension funds?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
February 13th, 2020 at 8:50:28 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Markets on fire, at least partially because interest rates suck. Where should I park my billions in pension funds?

I kind of agree. If interest rates were a little higher Id be moving much more into bonds than I am now. I hate buying a two year bond paying less than 2%.
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
February 13th, 2020 at 10:34:34 PM permalink
they have been sitting on tons of cash.....with returns in the 10-12% range, when the s/p is over 30% has left them......sucking the hind tit.
get second you pig
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 14th, 2020 at 7:07:01 AM permalink
For those following, up 74% ..... JUST SOLD 1/4 OF Apple. Pennies under $326. I can't imagine at least in short term they wont do poorly due to China exposure. I'm buying pathetic 2-3% bonds. Also buying ETFs which have preferred stocks which at least pay 5-6%, but of course could go down if market goes down.
billryan
billryan
February 14th, 2020 at 8:17:02 AM permalink
Before buying 2% bonds, I'd use the cash to pay off any and all debts, pre pay some funeral expenses and kids tuition and look into a couple collectibles.
ATT ,for the dividend alone, is a better choice, in my opinion.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 14th, 2020 at 8:25:55 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Before buying 2% bonds, I'd use the cash to pay off any and all debts, pre pay some funeral expenses and kids tuition and look into a couple collectibles.
ATT ,for the dividend alone, is a better choice, in my opinion.

I don't owe anyone a penny. I paid off mortgage as soon as I could against wishes of financial advisors, friends, accountants. I just hate the idea of owing anyone anything. My kids are all graduated so no more tuition for me. Funny you should say collectibles. I have coin and baseball card collections worth somewhere in the mid 5 figures. My kids will sell them after I'm dead. I do own some AT and T, plus lots of similar type stocks. Just that in a market crash they go down like everything else. Dividends are never guaranteed. If the stock is crashing the dividend dries up. 30 years ago I owned GM because it paid a great dividend. You know the end of that story.....

As far as actually investing in collectibles, it is my impression that the 'spread' on buy and sell is huge. You may have the knowledge to know a good buy; I would be the fish to your shark.....
billryan
billryan
February 14th, 2020 at 9:03:00 AM permalink
ATT has never lowered its dividend. I can't see them doing so in the near future.
If the stock price goes down, the dividend yield goes up.
As far as being a minnow, just use reputable dealers. Vincent, from Metropolis, recently negotiated a low seven figure purchase of Golden Age comics for an Arab Prince. A few years ago, he did a purchase for Nick Cage that at the time was the biggest sale in hobby history. Sir Paul McCartney has quietly put together what may be the finest comic collection in existence, although that Arab Prince may surpass it.

• Jump to: