Thread Rating:

100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 512
December 23rd, 2019 at 9:51:49 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I hope it doesn't go down too much. One of my largest holdings is Occidental Petroleum (OXY).

well, if it falls below $60/barrel, the next support is $58.
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
December 24th, 2019 at 11:57:38 AM permalink
This is the time of year when all the index fund ETFs pay out their dividends. So I had a bit of cash in the account. I'm going to try and 'trade' this money by buying in and out periodically. My Brother in law has me in NBEV. Unfortunately I got in at $1.95, as it is $1.89 now. I'll let the forum know when (if) I sell.
He also recommended LYFT as a short term play but I couldn't convince myself to buy either LYFT or UBER.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
December 25th, 2019 at 6:49:55 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

i just shorted oil at $60.30/barrel.
gambling that more US oil rigs will go online because of the high oil price.
unfortunately, because of xmas, the weekly US oil report is delayed till Fri after the bell.

edit:
on my stock screen, it says market price and u/l price.
both are giving me the same #.
what is u/l price? and how is it different than market price?

I think this is what that means, from Investopedia:

What Does Underlying Mean?
Underlying, in equities, is the common stock that must be delivered when a warrant is exercised, or when a convertible bond or convertible preferred share is converted to common stock. The price of the underlying is the main factor that determines the prices of derivative securities, warrants, and convertibles. Thus, a change in an underlying result in a simultaneous change in the price of the derivative asset linked to it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
December 25th, 2019 at 7:43:39 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

He also recommended LYFT as a short term play but I couldn't convince myself to buy either LYFT or UBER.

Iím also on the fence about these 2 but also fear missing out like I did on Facebook. Looking at them itís hard to see how they become profitable without raising rates. Also can see regulatory issues along with the potential for drivers to realize they are not making much after all the miles they are putting on their cars and demand more.

That said, ridership continues to grow and in some cities supply canít keep up with demand. I find myself using it more and more everywhere I travel and do see rates increasing.

They probably have a place as speculation in a well balanced portfolio for someone who can handle the risk.

Merry Christmas.
100xOdds
100xOdds
December 25th, 2019 at 5:22:17 PM permalink

well, if it falls below $60/barrel, the next support is $58.

sigh.. it breached the $61 resistance.
next resistance is $63.
holding onto my short and placed an order to short more at $63.

my concern is saudi being biased in protecting their $2T IPO of Saudi Aramco and propping up the oil prices.
but if they are artificially forcing OPEC to keep oil prices high by cutting production for their IPO, why isnt the OPEC membership pushing back on clear conflict of interest?
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
December 25th, 2019 at 5:30:39 PM permalink

sigh.. it breached the $61 resistance.
next resistance is $63.
holding onto my short and placed an order to short more at $63.

my concern is saudi being biased in protecting their $2T IPO of Saudi Aramco and propping up the oil prices.
but if they are artificially forcing OPEC to keep oil prices high by cutting production for their IPO, why isnt the OPEC membership pushing back on clear conflict of interest?

IE, you are gambling on circumstantial situations you have no clue about.

Again GAMBLING is the key word. Unlike stocks, you have no indication of what is going on in the world.

Best wishes, or is it Good Luck?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 3rd, 2020 at 9:54:25 AM permalink
Ended the year up 67% since inception. Sort of a meaningless number without context. But I wouldn't know what type of index to measure it against. The portfolio is now around 75% stock, 25% bonds. I think I would be slightly trailing the results if I just bought SPY.
100xOdds
100xOdds
January 8th, 2020 at 8:17:27 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

IE, you are gambling on circumstantial situations you have no clue about.
Again GAMBLING is the key word. Unlike stocks, you have no indication of what is going on in the world.

Best wishes, or is it Good Luck?

god what a roller coaster ride the past 24hrs have been in shorting oil.
iran missile attacks spiked oil prices, Trump tweets all is ok alleviates escalation fears and stabilizes prices, then the weekly govt report an hr ago saying oil inventories unexpectedly rose has dropped oil prices.

this is more fun than a slot machine.
come on Bonus round of a warm winter thanks to global warming.

edit:
oil down 4% today to $60/barrel.
even tho i see oil going down to $52/barrel by March, i sold my short on this huge 1 day drop.
i had enough 'fun' from this roller coaster (for now)
Last edited by: 100xOdds on Jan 8, 2020
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 16
January 8th, 2020 at 8:26:49 AM permalink
Interesting how last night in the AH AMZN was down -43 and futures were -350 or so, and then today AMZN actually was green for a bit, and all the indexes are now green.

A friend of mine used to say, about this bull market, that if a nuclear bomb went off in San Francisco on Friday, by Tuesday the markets would have shrugged it off and been buying the dip like crazy.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 8th, 2020 at 10:35:13 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Interesting how last night in the AH AMZN was down -43 and futures were -350 or so, and then today AMZN actually was green for a bit, and all the indexes are now green.

A friend of mine used to say, about this bull market, that if a nuclear bomb went off in San Francisco on Friday, by Tuesday the markets would have shrugged it off and been buying the dip like crazy.

I don't really follow AMZN, as I own 0 individually. Probably 100 shares via all my index funds! But agree. This bull market has seemed unstoppable. Tesla near $500. Apple over $300. FB over $200. Bad news has stocks drop 1/2%. To rebound 3/4% the next day. (Except my recent purchase, NBEV, bought at $1.95...... a few weeks later $1.70.....).

WoV portfolio now up 69% from inception.

• Jump to: