Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 72
  • Posts: 6390
December 19th, 2019 at 7:54:50 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Tessa is up almost 100 points since I recommended it. I didn't expect that.



That's awesome, I hope you bought a lot.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 173
  • Posts: 9626
December 20th, 2019 at 1:44:26 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

That's awesome, I hope you bought a lot.



No, I sold my latest bunch at 320. I buy at 260 and sell when it hits 300. It's been a very solid play for the last three years or so.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 108
  • Posts: 6942
December 20th, 2019 at 10:05:31 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

No, I sold my latest bunch at 320. I buy at 260 and sell when it hits 300. It's been a very solid play for the last three years or so.



You sound like my brother in law. He has identified a bunch (not that many, actually) of stocks that he has a trading range for. Buy at 95, sell at 100. Re-buy at 95. Re-sell at 100. I always ask him, "what if when you buy at 95 it goes down to 20?". He actually makes his living doing this now. I'd be way too nervous.

And thank you if you are the reason I bought Tesla. It's 406 now.
100xOdds
100xOdds
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
  • Threads: 514
  • Posts: 3018
December 20th, 2019 at 4:39:27 PM permalink
new options period just started.
time to short oil this Mon?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 173
  • Posts: 9626
December 20th, 2019 at 6:48:45 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

You sound like my brother in law. He has identified a bunch (not that many, actually) of stocks that he has a trading range for. Buy at 95, sell at 100. Re-buy at 95. Re-sell at 100. I always ask him, "what if when you buy at 95 it goes down to 20?". He actually makes his living doing this now. I'd be way too nervous.

And thank you if you are the reason I bought Tesla. It's 406 now.



I suggested it when you asked for recommendations, but I'm sure you looked into it yourself.
I don't make my living doing this. I bought 1,000 shares of Tesla literally pre-IPO.
Had I held them, it would be worth 400,000 or more. Instead, I sold half when it doubled, and half the remainder when it doubled again. Someone showed me what seemed like a regular cycle on Tesla and it's been " berry berry " good to me. The problem is as the stock rises, my investment buys fewer shares each cycle. I'm out and will be back in at 360. Rinse and repeat.
I used to be a strictly buy and hold guy and generally still am, but Tesla has so many irrational haters shorting the stock that it's a game.
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 1868
Thanks for this post from:
odiousgambit
December 20th, 2019 at 7:47:22 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I suggested it when you asked for recommendations, but I'm sure you looked into it yourself.
I don't make my living doing this. I bought 1,000 shares of Tesla literally pre-IPO.
Had I held them, it would be worth 400,000 or more. Instead, I sold half when it doubled, and half the remainder when it doubled again. Someone showed me what seemed like a regular cycle on Tesla and it's been " berry berry " good to me. The problem is as the stock rises, my investment buys fewer shares each cycle. I'm out and will be back in at 360. Rinse and repeat.
I used to be a strictly buy and hold guy and generally still am, but Tesla has so many irrational haters shorting the stock that it's a game.



Iím not sure itís irrational when you dig into it. Thereís an old saw about the stock market: The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 173
  • Posts: 9626
December 20th, 2019 at 8:01:13 PM permalink
There are almost ten billion dollars worth of shorts on the stock. Short investors lost close to two billion in the last ten days. I hope these folks have a lifeboat.
100xOdds
100xOdds
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
  • Threads: 514
  • Posts: 3018
December 23rd, 2019 at 7:14:23 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

new options period just started.
time to short oil this Mon?

i just shorted oil at $60.30/barrel.
gambling that more US oil rigs will go online because of the high oil price.
unfortunately, because of xmas, the weekly US oil report is delayed till Fri after the bell.

edit:
on my stock screen, it says market price and u/l price.
both are giving me the same #.
what is u/l price? and how is it different than market price?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 72
  • Posts: 6390
December 23rd, 2019 at 9:17:39 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

i just shorted oil at $60.30/barrel.
gambling that more US oil rigs will go online because of the high oil price.
unfortunately, because of xmas, the weekly US oil report is delayed till Fri after the bell.

edit:
on my stock screen, it says market price and u/l price.
both are giving me the same #.
what is u/l price? and how is it different than market price?



I hope it doesn't go down too much. One of my largest holdings is Occidental Petroleum (OXY).
Living longer does not always infer +EV
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 173
  • Posts: 9626
December 23rd, 2019 at 9:31:34 AM permalink
Tesla at $420. How high can it go?
Elon said he would take it private at this price.

  • Jump to: