Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 235
February 20th, 2022 at 3:11:40 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: billryan

I own shares in several private companies. I'm not sure you can be a corporation without having outstanding shares. I do think it is a bit unusual for a private company to announce a split like this, but I have limited experience on these.

edit:- I believe a non-profit corporation does not need to issue shares, but any for profit corporation does.
link to original post

Private companies have shared but there is no liquid price. And there is a limit to how many shareholders in most cases.
link to original post

Important point about the liquidity. I’m invested (small amounts) in a bunch. They list a NAV but admit it is not a guarantee if I actually want to sell the shares.
link to original post

I interviewed with some brokerage out of college who had a stock purchase plan but they were private somehow but would buy from you on demand. Which made it a glorified partnership of sorts. But they set the price, a true dark market.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 118
February 25th, 2022 at 4:57:38 PM permalink
After the two up days following the big down day now at +127%. From ATH of + 149%. So that’s a 9% hit. I think that counts as a ‘correction’?
Like everyone else I’m worried about Russia/Ukraine, US inflation, …. but I’m still not willing to sit in cash. I do need some % return to live on…..
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 26th, 2022 at 4:10:45 AM permalink

After the two up days following the big down day now at +127%. From ATH of + 149%. So that’s a 9% hit. I think that counts as a ‘correction’?
Like everyone else I’m worried about Russia/Ukraine, US inflation, …. but I’m still not willing to sit in cash. I do need some % return to live on…..
link to original post

Stocks go down after the invasion then up as the war goes on. Ride it out but put some money in crypto as well, though the state of NY makes that harder than most.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 26th, 2022 at 5:56:34 AM permalink

link to original post

Stocks go down after the invasion then up as the war goes on. Ride it out but put some money in crypto as well, though the state of NY makes that harder than most.
link to original post

. I am not saying crypto won’t be a good investment, but I just won’t do it. I know it is a form of a Ponzi scheme at its root. At least for n the stock market I can fool myself into thinking I own something tangible.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 26th, 2022 at 7:00:36 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

. I am not saying crypto won’t be a good investment, but I just won’t do it. I know it is a form of a Ponzi scheme at its root. At least for n the stock market I can fool myself into thinking I own something tangible.
link to original post

There are good coins and bad coins. Ponzi schemes do not last over a decade. If it comes in for me 7 figures I will buy you wings and a beer at BBP if you let me say I told you to invest.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 224
Thanks for this post from:
Dieter
February 26th, 2022 at 7:27:40 AM permalink
Bernie Madoff carried out his Ponzi scheme for at least two decades although some evidence points to his doing this as far back as the early 1970s so he may have done it for forty years.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 28th, 2022 at 6:44:39 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

There are good coins and bad coins. Ponzi schemes do not last over a decade. If it comes in for me 7 figures I will buy you wings and a beer at BBP if you let me say I told you to invest.
link to original post

So if you clear $800k you wont buy the wings and beer? And I've told you... not a fan of Buffalo Brew Pub!

I just checked my 'lending' of shares to short sellers. I cleared a whopping $60 in February (with one more day to go). I still think it is good to get free money.
Down half percent after trading for 1 minute this morning. Gotta be tons of volatility coming our way.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 28th, 2022 at 4:48:29 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

So if you clear $800k you wont buy the wings and beer? And I've told you... not a fan of Buffalo Brew Pub!

I just checked my 'lending' of shares to short sellers. I cleared a whopping $60 in February (with one more day to go). I still think it is good to get free money.
Down half percent after trading for 1 minute this morning. Gotta be tons of volatility coming our way.
link to original post

If I make $800K you can have one or the other. You can pick the place except Duff's. I have no idea why everyone up there is so goo goo for their wings, they have been average at best any time I have had them.

BTC is up $4,000 since I made the offer this morning. Now, still down a little over $20,000 from its high, but maybe we are on the way to $300K this round.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 18th, 2022 at 8:49:29 AM permalink
Long time since I posted here….

Up 104% since inception. I think down 18% from the ATH before the crash/correction/downturn or whatever you want to call it.
Since I started AP sports betting I really haven’t paid attention to any details of my stocks! I guess, after a deep analysis, I checked and occasionally bought and/or sold stocks more for enjoyment than any real advantage over just holding. I’m having a boatload of fun with the sports betting, even though it is a really small fraction of the stocks.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 3rd, 2022 at 5:13:36 PM permalink
Has anyone here done or know much about getting a market data feed and programming a stock screener? Here is what I want.

PART 1

Be able to screen NADAQ and NYSE stocks for price and range with 2 different range screeners. Like this:

First, screen for price. Say I want stocks selling $30-40 per share. It screens for that. But over a period of time. So I could tell it to show me stocks that have traded between $30 and $40 from June 1st to today.

Then screen for average range over a time period. For example, say I want to screen for only stocks that stay in a $2 range per week or $1.00 per day.

Thus in this example I would get stocks that trade $30-40 but stay in a range of $1 per day since June 1.

PART 2

I would want it to screen options chains. This gets harder. I would want it to scan for only stocks with weekly options expiration or monthly. Then I want it to look at and sort by Theta on those options but just the options with a strike price within X of the stock price.

Then it needs to compare things. Compare Theta to the total stock price. Also compare theta to two different options at the same expiration or the same strike but two different expirations.

IOW, what I want to do is search for maximum possible Theta decay candidates. For both covered calls and calendar spreads.

I am guessing some version of C is what to use. I can surely find a programmer in my area to make it work. I would want it to be a possible web page for both my own use (private page) but to perhaps sell subscriptions if it works.

Any ideas or feedback?

And yeah, I know I should have taken more of this in college. Different times and I did not know the investing stuff I do now. I have said it to anyone, show me a suburban boy who tracks sports data for betting and I will show you a guy who wanted to work in a hedge fund but did not have the pedigree.

• Jump to: