Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 13th, 2014 at 10:50:44 PM permalink
http://www.gamblingandthelaw.com/index.php/columns/205-slot-player-held-to-be-professional-gambler-can-deduct-losses
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 13th, 2014 at 11:14:43 PM permalink
Lack of success at the endeavor does not mean its not an occupation, though I wonder if people can retire to "professional golfer" even if they don't ever win any tournaments. Many sailors snap photos and eventually publish a book but that doesn't mean it sells enough copies to make them Professional Authors? Deduct the cost of a trip to the South Seas from retirement income? Sounds fun.
If only I had some retirement income!
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 14th, 2014 at 10:39:42 AM permalink
I have retirement income. But my travel plans have been curtailed since bus fare was raised 25 cents on Jan. !.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 14th, 2014 at 10:52:13 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I have retirement income. But my travel plans have been curtailed since bus fare was raised 25 cents on Jan. !.

Buzz is so old, he remembers when bus fare was raised to $0.25! ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 14th, 2014 at 10:52:20 AM permalink
I prefer Adolphus Busch
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 14th, 2014 at 10:54:44 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Hell, I'm that old. 10 cents as a kid in the 60's to go to piano lessons.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 14th, 2014 at 10:59:40 AM permalink

I rode to high school on a streetcar. You could buy a 2 piece box of Chiclets or a stick of gum for a penny from a machine on the streetcar.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 14th, 2014 at 11:00:38 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Hell, I'm that old. 10 cents as a kid in the 60's to go to piano lessons.

Tis not proper to tease a lady about her age. Besides, Buzz hasn't thrown a jab my way in a while, long enough that I'm starting to worry. I suppose I'm just seeing if he's ok =)
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 14th, 2014 at 11:01:45 AM permalink
Face is so young he think the Toronto Maple Leafs will lift the Stanley Cup aloft as winners before he dies. Maybe he is right, But only if he lives another 400 years.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 14th, 2014 at 11:06:03 AM permalink
Buzz, do you know Mr. Rose? He's pretty interesting. I'm gonna settle in and read his columns, now that you've posted this link. Thanks!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 14th, 2014 at 11:07:00 AM permalink
Quote:

This does not mean that every gambler can now deduct their losses and expenses as business expenses on Schedule C, “Profit or Loss From Business,” of their tax returns. A taxpayer who spent 35 hours every week at a horse track after losing his job as a salesman and who was seeking a new sales job qualified as a professional gambler. But a flower shop owner, appropriately named Pansy Panages, who only spent 20-25 hours a week after she closed her shop playing slots at a local Reno-area Smith’s, could not deduct $6,000 in tips she paid the grocery store’s employees for information on which machines were “due” to hit. A housewife who wised up after 66 days of playing, and losing, slot machines on an Iowa riverboat was ruled not to be even a short-term professional gambler.

A pro makes gambling a full-time business, meaning 35 or more hours a week, conducted in the same manner in which any other business is conducted, with a sincere belief that he or she will make a profit.

What's interesting to me, as a solo business owner, is the holding that the gambling has to be full-time in order for it to qualify as a business. I have many weeks where I don't put in 35 hours, and others where I put in over 80, but I certainly expect to deduct all my business expenses regardless. That's just the nature of consulting -- feast or famine.

I wonder if an AP who focused on EGMs could qualify as a business if they spent a lot of time doing research on where the +EV games were but only a relatively small amount of time playing them. You certainly have an expectation of profit if you're a part-time bonus vulture. Why shouldn't that be a business for tax purposes?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 14th, 2014 at 11:08:09 AM permalink
Not familiar with the gentleman, but seems a talented writer. I doubt Ace could have done a better job before the Minnesota Supreme Court than Estelle did. No disrespect to Ace, but what a gal Estelle is !
Face
Administrator
Face
January 14th, 2014 at 11:13:24 AM permalink

Face is so young he think the Toronto Maple Leafs will lift the Stanley Cup aloft as winners before he dies. Maybe he is right, But only if he lives another 400 years.

Some folks are wise, and some are otherwise. Time will tell who is what =)

Until then, I can blame youthful ignorance. What's your excuse? lol ;)
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 14th, 2014 at 11:15:24 AM permalink
I don't need an excuse. I have every right to be me. Nobody else, not even Bob wants this job.

Estelle is second on my list of heroines now, only surpassed by Margaret Hamilton.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 14th, 2014 at 11:17:16 AM permalink
Plus some things never change, EH ?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064504/index.htm
Face
Administrator
Face
January 14th, 2014 at 11:28:45 AM permalink

Plus some things never change, EH ?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064504/index.htm

Like yourself, the great things in life need not change for anyone =)
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 14th, 2014 at 11:30:50 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

What's interesting to me, as a solo business owner, is the holding that the gambling has to be full-time in order for it to qualify as a business. I have many weeks where I don't put in 35 hours, and others where I put in over 80, but I certainly expect to deduct all my business expenses regardless. That's just the nature of consulting -- feast or famine.

I wonder if an AP who focused on EGMs could qualify as a business if they spent a lot of time doing research on where the +EV games were but only a relatively small amount of time playing them. You certainly have an expectation of profit if you're a part-time bonus vulture. Why shouldn't that be a business for tax purposes?

My understanding is that you don't need to work a specific number of hours to be a pro, you just need to derive the vast majority of your income from it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 14th, 2014 at 11:38:47 AM permalink
But if you want to claim pro status while losing, you better put at least 35-40 hours a week into it. As a gambler, that is !
  • Jump to: