HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 117
January 1st, 2014 at 7:08:35 PM permalink
Anybody read the book? I was always interested but never got around to reading it. I just started watching the documentary they made on the book. I guess they're going to cover each chapter.

I bring up the book here cause I think I remember the book being mentioned somewhere in the forum.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
100xOdds
100xOdds 
  • Threads: 642
January 1st, 2014 at 7:24:11 PM permalink
read the wiki for a quick summary.

the authors did a followup book.
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 1st, 2014 at 7:30:59 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

Anybody read the book?

I read both I and II plus SportsCasting.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
January 1st, 2014 at 7:31:44 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I read both I and II plus SportsCasting.

Are the books worth reading (I and II)?
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
January 1st, 2014 at 7:38:32 PM permalink
I read both books too, and they're worth it if that's the kind of books you like. If you read a lot of fiction, then prolly not for you.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
January 1st, 2014 at 7:39:34 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I read both books too, and they're worth it if that's the kind of books you like. If you read a lot of fiction, then prolly not for you.

I, personally, am a huge non-fiction reader. I love to learn. This world is so fascinating!
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
January 1st, 2014 at 8:09:41 PM permalink
Quote from the movie: "Legalized abortion is responsible for a big chunk in the decline in crime."

Very interesting.
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
January 1st, 2014 at 8:11:57 PM permalink
I like non-fiction. I haven't read Freakonomics, but I'll offer a companion suggestion that's free:

Economics In One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt, published in 1946.

Hazlitt examines the fallacies associated with common economic beliefs, from an Austrian School perspective. Some of the prose may be slightly antiquated, but I find it very accessible.

This is the PDF link via Mises.org:

http://mises.org/books/economics_in_one_lesson_hazlitt.pdf
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 1st, 2014 at 8:38:48 PM permalink
These are good reads. One of the episodes explained why crime in NY dropped (demographics, not changes in policing) which I found fascinating.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 1st, 2014 at 8:46:34 PM permalink
Quote: gpac1377

http://mises.org/books/economics_in_one_lesson_hazlitt.pdf

Just read the first 3 chapters and it knocked
my socks off. It's nice to see the way they
thought in 1946 is still what we're fighting
against today.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
January 1st, 2014 at 8:53:10 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It's nice to see the way they
thought in 1946 is still what we're fighting
against today.

Indeed. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but it's amazing how many times civilization repeats the same mistakes.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
January 2nd, 2014 at 12:28:09 AM permalink

Quote from the movie: "Legalized abortion is responsible for a big chunk in the decline in crime."

Very interesting.

Was it Roe vs. Wade or the whole thing about lead being taken out of gasoline? I heard both sides of the argument and am on the fence about either.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 2nd, 2014 at 3:26:35 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

Was it Roe vs. Wade or the whole thing about lead being taken out of gasoline? I heard both sides of the argument and am on the fence about either.

I haven't read the book but listen to the podcasts and am familiar with this part of it. I don't quite buy the Roe V Wade part but do partially buy the lead in gasoline part.

IMHO their ideas do not totally debunk the popular ideas but do give a person other things to look at. For example, they trace the decline in crime to be almost exactly 18 years after Roe v Wade. However, that means the average criminal would only enter a life of crime at 18 exactly (they don't) and additionally assumes that Roe v Wade marks an exact date when abortion became socially as well as legally acceptable. It did not and there were abortions being done before Roe. OTOH in the late 1970s the FBI began cracking down on Mafia/OC in many cities, which took years to really take hold. All of this came together at once.

For those that like podcasts, check them out.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
January 2nd, 2014 at 7:14:26 AM permalink
I read Freakonomics many years ago. I thought it was a good book. Read it twice actually.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
January 10th, 2014 at 8:40:14 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

I read Freakonomics many years ago. I thought it was a good book. Read it twice actually.

Wasnt there a part where they compared drug dealers to beauty queen contestants? Thought it was in Book 1.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 10th, 2014 at 9:03:38 PM permalink
I am normally against book burning, but might make an exception for Freakonomics.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
January 11th, 2014 at 3:11:59 AM permalink

Wasnt there a part where they compared drug dealers to beauty queen contestants? Thought it was in Book 1.

I remember it was about how much crack dealers actually make, and the risk:reward ratio of prostitution labor.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
January 11th, 2014 at 3:32:50 AM permalink

I think it is ironic that now the beauty queens are drug dealers in certain countries.
100xOdds
100xOdds 
January 11th, 2014 at 4:30:54 AM permalink
video summary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0CoI3Ohptg

watching part3 right now
100xOdds
100xOdds 
January 11th, 2014 at 4:35:31 AM permalink

in the video summary, they talked about the drug dealers.

but I don't recall anything about beauty queen contestants?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 11th, 2014 at 5:50:57 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

I remember it was about how much crack dealers actually make, and the risk:reward ratio of prostitution labor.

George Will stated in an article that the street-slingers who stand on the corner don't do much better than the burger-slinger at McDonald's these days.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 29th, 2014 at 10:55:55 AM permalink

I, personally, am a huge non-fiction reader. I love to learn. This world is so fascinating!

I've been devouring non-fiction at a high rate ever since I found The History of Rome podcasts. From there I moved on to Audible, which is now offering lectures from the Great Courses series at very acessible rates (for me this means one credit, or $20). Among others I've also listened to "Made in america" and "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, "Inferno" by Max Hasings, Volume One of Gibbon's "The Historyof the Decline and Fall fo the Roman Empire," a Great Courses series on US History and now I'm in the early stages of a series on the foundations of Western Civilization.

I find that playing audio books or history podcasts gives a good use to the otherwsie dead time I spend driving every day. Lately I play them, too, when I'm cooking. I've even considered getting an MP3 player or a smart phone just so I can play them while working out. They also come in handy during travel.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: