1 vote (4.54%)
2 votes (9.09%)
7 votes (31.81%)

22 members have voted

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
December 13th, 2013 at 1:21:19 PM permalink
Actually, we all have accents. Even native English speakers. So I guess the better question should be, what type of accent do you have?

If you're American, do you have a New York accent? Southern? Midland? Western?
Some other American dialect? (specify)

We also have many members from outside of the US. If you're a foreign member, what type of accent do you have?

For Americans, here's a fun little quiz to determine what type of accent you have:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have
Fighting BS one post at a time!
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
December 13th, 2013 at 1:28:25 PM permalink
Grew up in Colorado......50 years later ended up in Kentucky. Kentuckians think I have an accent.
Each day is better than the next
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 13th, 2013 at 1:31:41 PM permalink
"Western" i guess. But really I disagree with their assertion that "everybody has an accent." If a plurality of folks in the US have one "accent," then that is not an accent. It's normal. I'm normal, damn it!

This is a joke, kind of. Seriously though, a plurality:
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 13th, 2013 at 1:32:03 PM permalink
My wife has a niece who's married to a guy from TN.
When he talks I want to strangle him. I wonder where
I get that from. Strong southern accents always get
an adverse reaction out out of me. I had a girlfriend
from Texas 35 years ago. When she talked it was like
fingernails on a chalkboard. Luckily she had other talents..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
December 13th, 2013 at 1:37:34 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Sorry, but I can't stand southern accents. Shortly after arriving in KY I went to the Caesars in New Albany. Everybody had a hick accent. Freaked me out. Stayed maybe 30 mins.....The Caesars in Cincy is tolerable.
Each day is better than the next
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 13th, 2013 at 1:39:04 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
December 13th, 2013 at 1:40:16 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Grew up in Colorado......50 years later ended up in Kentucky. Kentuckians think I have an accent.

I agree. I live in Colorado and do not think we have an accent.

But, does everyone think that they don't have an accent? Wherever you grow up, it's just normal, right?
I heart Crystal Math.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 13th, 2013 at 1:48:48 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

But, does everyone think that they don't have an accent? Wherever you grow up, it's just normal, right?

thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 13th, 2013 at 2:02:36 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

I agree. I live in Colorado and do not think we have an accent.

Move, and then you become incredibly aware how much of an accent you really have :D
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 13th, 2013 at 2:06:52 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

That's awesome for the 10 seconds of Jack White. And her vocal talents too were quite impressive.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
December 13th, 2013 at 2:21:13 PM permalink
Every American has an accent, even the guy on the evening news. There are American habits of speech that are almost universally practiced yet are incorrect American pronunciation. For example, look up the word "water" in an American dictionary and the generally accepted pronunciation does not allow a 'd' sound in that word. Almost every one of us in every region of the US, including the guy on the radio pronounces it "Wah Der". We don't even hear the difference, but Brits notice it.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 13th, 2013 at 2:47:57 PM permalink
Boston with a little Brooklyn. Not always endearing to the ears. :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
December 13th, 2013 at 3:14:41 PM permalink
classic Pittsburgh accent for me.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 14th, 2013 at 6:09:37 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

"Western" i guess. But really I disagree with their assertion that "everybody has an accent." If a plurality of folks in the US have one "accent," then that is not an accent. It's normal. I'm normal, damn it!

Pittsburgh has its own little enclave in this? Really?

I cant' find it but there is a YouTube video somewhere where they called places and asked what they called various things. Like "what do you call carbonated water with flavoring?" The pop/soda divide in PA/NY fell from Syracuse right down past Harrisburg, exactly as I have noticed, plus it falls different other places. But in a few patched of the deep south they call it "coke." Coke is coke, Sprite is coke, pepsi is coke.

In housing you dig a footer here in PA but other places you dig a foundation. You buy Helmon's(R) Mayo in Philly but Best Foods(R) in Phoenix. Every area has an accent.

And if one area didn't have an accent, by that virtue in itself no accent would in fact be their accent.

As to the southern accents, usually I like them, especially on women. But once I had to call our office in Tallahassee for something. Woman had one of the thickest southern accents I had ever heard. Understanding her was worse than the professor I had who had the thickest Turkish accent you ever heard. She asked where I was from and when I told her she says........."Oh, you're a Yankee, no wonder I can't understand your accent!"

*facepalm*
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 14th, 2013 at 6:21:54 AM permalink
In Boston soda is tonic, a submarine sandwich is a grinder and a drinking fountain is a bubbler.

New Yorkers can often tell which borough someone is from by their accent.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 14th, 2013 at 6:29:12 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

New Yorkers can often tell which borough someone is from by their accent.

When I was first in Upstate NY our state sales manager had a contest among the branches where the winning sales team would get a "Hero Party." I almost called him asking what on earth he meant before I realized he was from Queens and didn't know it was called a Hoagie or a Sub. Later in Binghamton the waitress told us the special of something on a hoagie roll. When she left I mentioned she said "hoagie roll" and told him the story. Good laugh.

On another job somewhere I said as a joke I was tired of hoagies and might try a sub instead. Woman asks "oh, what are they like?"

*faceplam"
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 14th, 2013 at 6:56:56 AM permalink
I live in ENE Ohio and our area is known for what has been said to be categorized as TV English.
I am a robot.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 14th, 2013 at 7:15:08 AM permalink
This kid is really talented at doing accents. Most of them sound real.

The English Language In 24 Accents

tringlomane
tringlomane
December 14th, 2013 at 9:12:53 AM permalink
The quiz verified I have a Midland accent w/95% certainty. When I lived in Atlanta, they were the ones with the accent, not me. :P I will have a bit of southern influence from my mom at times who grew up in rural Missouri. where I grew up is basically on the North Midland/South border near St Louis.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
December 14th, 2013 at 9:14:50 AM permalink

Cool, provided you always click the bigot box.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
December 14th, 2013 at 9:25:48 AM permalink
Wicked accent. And I have leftover "r's" if you need them...:-)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 14th, 2013 at 9:31:38 AM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

Cool, provided you always click the bigot box.

Because he doesn't like a southern accent?
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 14th, 2013 at 10:08:22 AM permalink

This kid is really talented at doing accents. Most of them sound real.

The English Language In 24 Accents

Neat. His RP and Mancunian were a bit of (how he pronounces the F-bomb isn't quite right), but 23 times better than I can do!
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
December 14th, 2013 at 10:19:56 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Because he doesn't like a southern accent?

You know as well as any other reader that a comment like that goes way beyond "doesn't like a southern accent". Pretend something other if you like.
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
December 14th, 2013 at 10:42:09 AM permalink
Here is what the quiz said about my accent:

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

I am actually Canadian. I am still surprised when people pick up on my accent and guess where I am from. I remember I was in a camera shop in San Francisco and the purveyor there was Middle-Eastern and after a few minutes of conversation he said, "You're from Canada, right?"

Maybe it's the way I pronounce "about".
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 14th, 2013 at 10:55:26 AM permalink
Quote: paisiello

Here is what the quiz said about my accent:

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

I am actually Canadian. I am still surprised when people pick up on my accent and guess where I am from. I remember I was in a camera shop in San Francisco and the purveyor there was Middle-Eastern and after a few minutes of conversation he said, "You're from Canada, right?"

Maybe it's the way I pronounce "about".

Or "eh?"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 14th, 2013 at 10:57:18 AM permalink
I was checking into a Canadian motel once, giving my address in Georgia. The lady at the desk said, "I really like the way you southerners talk."

I replied, "Ay?", and she laughed and conceded my point.

Edit: so is it properly spelled "Eh" or "Ay"?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 14th, 2013 at 11:05:12 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I was checking into a Canadian motel once, giving my address in Georgia. The lady at the desk said, "I really like the way you southerners talk."

I replied, "Ay?", and she laughed and conceded my point.

Edit: so is it properly spelled "Eh" or "Ay"?

I always uses "eh" but know it is not pronounced phonetically.

I still remember a hockey game in Buffalo with some Canadian guy a few rows behind us. Seemed like he was a friendly, fun guy. However, he was the total stereotype of a Canadian ending every sentence with 'eh.' As I always say, stereotypes come from some basis in reality.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 14th, 2013 at 12:13:20 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I live in ENE Ohio and our area is known for what has been said to be categorized as TV English.

Oh my gosh, no. I'm from Cleveland and we have *terrible* accents. Especially with long vowel sounds.

I think the normative American accent is that Ohio/Plains one. Starts west of Columbus and heads out through Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska. Johnny Carson is maybe the best know example.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
December 14th, 2013 at 12:54:49 PM permalink
I grew up in Seattle, working in DC. With a couple of small exceptions, like this crazy ass "soda" everyone talks about, there really isn't any difference whatsoever. In terms of just the way people say things, absolutely nothing.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 14th, 2013 at 1:10:34 PM permalink
Somehow I was raised outside of NYC and have not acquired an east coast accent.

I attribute it to spending so much time watching TV as a lad, with the resultant exposure to speakers from California, with their "flatter" manner of speaking.
"What, me worry?"
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
December 14th, 2013 at 1:14:54 PM permalink
While Googling the "NBC Standard" accent, I found this video. I grew up at the eastern edge of the area undergoing the "Northern Cities Vowel Shift."
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
December 14th, 2013 at 1:37:03 PM permalink

I always found it amusing that people think that Pittsburgh has its own. There have been many many times that people knew where I was from just by talking.

for those of you who had no idea that we have our own words check out this website. The words on the left are really things that people from this area say.
http://www.pittsburghese.com/glossary.ep.html?type=phrases

Also the title of this should be "Do you have a dialect?"
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
thecesspit
thecesspit
December 14th, 2013 at 3:57:20 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I always uses "eh" but know it is not pronounced phonetically.

I still remember a hockey game in Buffalo with some Canadian guy a few rows behind us. Seemed like he was a friendly, fun guy. However, he was the total stereotype of a Canadian ending every sentence with 'eh.' As I always say, stereotypes come from some basis in reality.

Those weirdos in Eastern Canada, eh?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 14th, 2013 at 4:19:26 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I always found it amusing that people think that Pittsburgh has its own. There have been many many times that people knew where I was from just by talking.

As they say its a burgh thing. Happened to me more than once. Most memorable when I was having a truck striped and this pregnant woman comes running out from behind the truck she was striping and asked if I was from Pittsburgh. She looked like she was due in an hour and she runs over. Crazy.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 14th, 2013 at 4:22:27 PM permalink
One of my favorite British accents is Cockney. (No, I'm not being sarcastic) I don't even know why either. Maybe because it reminds me of Mary Poppins or something...even though Dick van Dyke had one of the fakest accents of all-time.

I like this British accent too. ;)
Hard to believe Kate Beckinsale is 40. She gets better with age!

s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
December 14th, 2013 at 4:39:47 PM permalink
I like to call mine Received Pronunciation American.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
gpac1377
gpac1377
December 14th, 2013 at 5:21:25 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Getting nosey. This crap belongs at DT.

I don't see the problem, but I'm not up to speed on the forum politics.

For Americans, here's a fun little quiz to determine what type of accent you have:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

I got Philadelphia 100%, which doesn't match my background, but looking through the comments, it seems to be the most common "incorrect" result.

Strong southern accents always get
an adverse reaction out out of me.

Southern US can seem unnecessarily slow sometimes.

My vote for most annoying would be Celine Dion's accent.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
December 14th, 2013 at 5:46:27 PM permalink
I took the quiz and it came out solidly Midland which is as close to no accent as you can have according the the quiz. I have lived in British Columbia my whole life and have had people ask what my accent is in various places around the world and North America.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 14th, 2013 at 6:20:17 PM permalink
Yeah, I would say the biggest Canadian giveaway is "out and about" and the clipped consonants. (Half Canadian here by birth, but never lived there.)

Raised in Minnesota, but have dumped most of the upper prairie vowels, so I sound more Midland than North Central. Brian Williams and I have a similar accent, and Tom Brokaw and I were most similar of that type of example.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: