GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
December 8th, 2013 at 4:55:31 PM permalink
There are a few things that I would like to watch on Youtube but I would like to watch them on my 60 inch TV opposed to my 20 inch monitor. My wireless router is next to my tv in the living room so internet is not a problem. I would like to get this done for as little as possible, lets say $50 or less if possible. I also don't want to use my laptop because I want something that is permanent so I don't have to mess with it every time I want to watch something.

The only ways I can think of are Roku, blu ray player, or google chromecast. Does anyone have any other ideas or can suggest any of the mentioned?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 8th, 2013 at 5:02:04 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

There are a few things that I would like to watch on Youtube but I would like to watch them on my 60 inch TV opposed to my 20 inch monitor. My wireless router is next to my tv in the living room so internet is not a problem. I would like to get this done for as little as possible, lets say $50 or less if possible. I also don't want to use my laptop because I want something that is permanent so I don't have to mess with it every time I want to watch something.

The only ways I can think of are Roku, blu ray player, or google chromecast. Does anyone have any other ideas or can suggest any of the mentioned?

Roku will not do it as they seem to have an on-again/off-again relationship with YT. But if you use most other similar boxes it is supposed to be easy to do.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 8th, 2013 at 5:23:56 PM permalink
Most modern TVs have the PC input plug right in them. My PC monitor IS my TV. Cost = $0
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
December 8th, 2013 at 5:29:05 PM permalink
Although I love YouTube, the quality for most vids will probably suck on a 60-inch screen.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 8th, 2013 at 6:36:27 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Although I love YouTube, the quality for most vids will probably suck on a 60-inch screen.

Yeah, I would think it would be a big blur. Having said that, I also had a 51" that had the PC plug-in that worked fine, and it was made in 2005, so I'm kind of assuming any 60" screen the OP had is not older and will have that plug-in. I'd run it right through that input.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 8th, 2013 at 6:36:59 PM permalink
If your TV has a USB port, use Chromecast. $35 retail, discounted around the 'net for $30ish.

The cheapest Roku is only $50. I love Roku, I have 3 of them. At least right now it has YouTube.
A falling knife has no handle.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 8th, 2013 at 7:42:47 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

If your TV has a USB port, use Chromecast. $35 retail, discounted around the 'net for $30ish.

Your TV doesn't have to have a USB port, that's just a convenient way to power the Chromecast. You can also just use the power adapter. (I don't actually have a Chromecast, I'm just reading this from Google's online docs.)

Quote:

The cheapest Roku is only $50. I love Roku, I have 3 of them. At least right now it has YouTube.

What?! We have a Roku and I just always assumed it would never support YouTube...I'll check...
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 8th, 2013 at 7:51:14 PM permalink

I think the Chromecast plugs into the HDMI port.

And that would be my recommendation, too. It's supposed to be very good for YouTube.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
GWAE
GWAE
December 8th, 2013 at 8:14:15 PM permalink

why do you say at least right now. They have Youtube on their website. Was there a time when it didn't support it?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
December 8th, 2013 at 9:14:32 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

What?! We have a Roku and I just always assumed it would never support YouTube...I'll check...

why do you say at least right now. They have Youtube on their website. Was there a time when it didn't support it?

Okay now I'm really confused. I just checked out the channel store on my Roku and YouTube is nowhere to be found. Does the offering of channels depend on the model of the Roku? We have a pretty old one, from 2 Christmases ago.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 8th, 2013 at 9:16:29 PM permalink

It's always been there for me, but AZDuffman says it's been spotty. I usually use Roku for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video, I don't check the C and D level content that is most of the rest of it. I'm in for the night, I'll check it tomorrow.

Chromecast is HDMI? Cool, I didn't know that.

How to add Youtube to your Roku

Edit: I was accessing it before with my Samsung SmartTV. I thought it was the Roku.
A falling knife has no handle.
GWAE
GWAE
December 8th, 2013 at 9:44:19 PM permalink
I am glad I posted on here about Youtube. I thought the roku had youtube because on their website it is listed on the bottom of their page. However, I just realized that what they are showing is just an ad.

Does anyone on here have a chrome cast? From what I am seeing, you watch a video on your phone and then the chrome cast shows what you are watching on the TV. Is that how it works?

Does anyone have a blu ray with wifi? If so have you view youtube using it?
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
December 9th, 2013 at 12:55:38 AM permalink
My projector has a PC port that you just plug into. I can't see rca ports being any use here.

Hope you get what you are looking for.
Buffering...
GWAE
GWAE
December 9th, 2013 at 11:59:16 AM permalink
So it seems like a few of you have a roku. We were in Best Buy today looking at them and I ended up buying a roku 1 for a gift. My wife's parents do not have cable but they do have netflix. Is there as much to view on this as it seems. It says there are 1000+ channels but when I am looking at some of them on their website it seems like you have to have a subscription to a lot of them.

I guess I am just wondering if they will be able to watch a lot of free stuff?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
December 9th, 2013 at 12:26:20 PM permalink

So it seems like a few of you have a roku. We were in Best Buy today looking at them and I ended up buying a roku 1 for a gift. My wife's parents do not have cable but they do have netflix. Is there as much to view on this as it seems. It says there are 1000+ channels but when I am looking at some of them on their website it seems like you have to have a subscription to a lot of them.

If they have Netflix Instant already (unclear if they do or just the DVD service), there is a ton of content. Now, it is skewed toward TV shows over Movies IMO. There aren't a ton of "great" or "classic" movies, but there are TONS of TV shows, and lots of great classic ones. Tastes vary, of course, but here is just a few:
*Cheers
*Frasier
*EVERY STAR TREK EPISODE EVER PRODUCED (this is a big one for me)
*That 70s Show
*Arrested Development (new episodes exclusively here)
*The Wonder Years (never released on DVD!)
*How I Met Your Mother
*etc. etc.

We barely touch the other channels on the Roku, although if you have Amazon Prime, there is a decent amount of free content there as well. My parents (late 60s) have Netflix Instant coming in directly through their new smart TV and they love it.
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
December 9th, 2013 at 12:31:24 PM permalink
*Original Miami Vice(Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas, Edward James Olmos)
GWAE
GWAE
December 9th, 2013 at 2:25:50 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

If they have Netflix Instant already (unclear if they do or just the DVD service), there is a ton of content. Now, it is skewed toward TV shows over Movies IMO. There aren't a ton of "great" or "classic" movies, but there are TONS of TV shows, and lots of great classic ones. Tastes vary, of course, but here is just a few:
*Cheers
*Frasier
*EVERY STAR TREK EPISODE EVER PRODUCED (this is a big one for me)
*That 70s Show
*Arrested Development (new episodes exclusively here)
*The Wonder Years (never released on DVD!)
*How I Met Your Mother
*etc. etc.

We barely touch the other channels on the Roku, although if you have Amazon Prime, there is a decent amount of free content there as well. My parents (late 60s) have Netflix Instant coming in directly through their new smart TV and they love it.

Yes they do have netflix streaming which they access through a Wii. Do you think a Roku is over kill for people in their 60s who have never had cable. I think they are content with their Air channels and Netflix but I thought a Roku would give them more choices. Maybe they don't need more?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
December 9th, 2013 at 2:37:06 PM permalink

Yes they do have netflix streaming which they access through a Wii. Do you think a Roku is over kill for people in their 60s who have never had cable. I think they are content with their Air channels and Netflix but I thought a Roku would give them more choices. Maybe they don't need more?

If they already get Netflix through the Wii, the Roku will probably be overkill. Like I said, we use the Roku to watch Netflix probably 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time is Amazon Prime Video (which might even have a Wii app, I have no idea).

Just my opinion...I haven't done a ton of investigating the other channels on the Roku, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton of value out there. But I could be wrong, other folks please feel free to offer a differing opinion :).
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
December 9th, 2013 at 3:28:03 PM permalink
We have a desktop computer with a decent video card and extra RAM plugged directly into my bedroom TV. By dumb luck, our router is right there, so I just plug a network cable from router into the computer, then an HDMI cable connects the desktop to the TV. My TV is a glorified computer monitor. We watch youtube, hulu, and all the network websites.

We also have a laptop with a broken screen that has been been re-purposed in a similar way for the living room. HDMI cable from laptop to TV, with wireless access to the internet. Both computers have wireless mouse/keyboard combo.

It's nice to have a full-on computer versus a 'smart tv' or what have you. I can go to any website, view videos from whatever site... I can even browse and respond to messages on Wizard of Vegas.
-Dween!
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 9th, 2013 at 4:39:48 PM permalink
If you have cable, many cable companies are now providing access to youtube. You may have never checked.
GWAE
GWAE
December 9th, 2013 at 6:06:04 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

If you have cable, many cable companies are now providing access to youtube. You may have never checked.

I did check. We have Verizon FIOS and they have widgets. When I decided that I wanted Youtube that was my first hope. There are like 20 widgets but no youtube.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 9th, 2013 at 6:10:33 PM permalink

There are lots of channels, though the free ones can be narrow in content. You really need Netflix to make to work. If you have that you will not need cable.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: