Thread Rating:

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
October 26th, 2013 at 8:30:30 PM permalink
With all the hype about Britney Spears' upcoming residency at Planet Hollywood, take a listen to the isolated vocals from one of her 2001 Vegas shows. Just try not to LOL too hard!

Fighting BS one post at a time!
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
October 26th, 2013 at 8:50:20 PM permalink
If that's real that's funny.

Makes karaoke sound good.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 26th, 2013 at 9:00:28 PM permalink
Its a fact that they had her sing a song 10 times
and then blended all the tracks together till they
got a decent cut. She was all about hers looks
and her dancing, not her singing ability.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 26th, 2013 at 9:08:56 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Its a fact that they had her sing a song 10 times
and then blended all the tracks together till they
got a decent cut. She was all about hers looks
and her dancing, not her singing ability.

In studio? That methodology is extremely common. Even the Beatles double-tracked their vocals. Not saying Britney has talent, just that this doesn't prove that she doesn't...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 26th, 2013 at 9:10:54 PM permalink
That'd be awful if it were from a studio mic, but the clip says it's from a Vegas show. I don't think anyone can stay on key when out of breath from jumping around on stage. That's one of the reasons why good marching bands -- the kind that actually play while moving -- are so impressive. It's not obvious if you haven't played a wind instrument before, but playing (and sounding good) while marching is not easy at all.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 26th, 2013 at 9:15:33 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Not saying Britney has talent, just that this doesn't prove that she doesn't...

All her talent was dancing, look at some of
her early MTV videos. Very good dancer.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 26th, 2013 at 9:30:24 PM permalink

Old man,

Ms. Spears and I are the same age. I grew up staring at that body and cursing Mr. Timberlake. I am well aware of the gyration abilities of Ms. Spears.

Your friend,
Young guy

:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 26th, 2013 at 9:32:34 PM permalink

She was all right at dancing. OTOH, Paula Abdul was an exceptional dancer. Used to be a Laker girl.

Not saying Britney has talent, just that this doesn't prove that she doesn't...

LOL

The first part of this statement cracked me up. :)
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 26th, 2013 at 9:33:34 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

With all the hype about Britney Spears' upcoming residency at Planet Hollywood, take a listen to the isolated vocals from one of her 2001 Vegas shows. Just try not to LOL too hard!

Saw this a week or so ago. In that article, there were also links to studio vocals from an Abbey Road medley and Queen/Bowie's Pressure. Those are absolutely outstanding. Not a fair comparison to this clip (studio versus live and all) but WOW. Those guys have talent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 26th, 2013 at 9:47:53 PM permalink

Old man,

Ms. Spears and I are the same age.

And the same IQ, apparently.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
October 26th, 2013 at 9:54:28 PM permalink

And the same IQ, apparently.

Hey! Just because I drool when I look at Britney Spears doesn't mean I do it all the time!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 26th, 2013 at 10:01:25 PM permalink

Saw this a week or so ago. In that article, there were also links to studio vocals from an Abbey Road medley and Queen/Bowie's Pressure. Those are absolutely outstanding. Not a fair comparison to this clip (studio versus live and all) but WOW. Those guys have talent.

Totally agree, all the singers mentioned in that article had insane talent. I thought it was funny when I read a YouTube commenter on one of the vids who said something to the effect of: "The 'artists' of today aren't even fit to clip those guys' toenails!!!" LOL

He's right though. So many singers today don't even like performing live, and that's sad.

Not to derail my own thread, but here's an example of phenomenal singing (just to get Britney's sh*tty singing out of my head...haha). It's a woman singing Habanera from 'Carmen'. No auto-tune, no overproduction, no gimmicks at all. Just fantastic live singing.

(Music starts at 0:27)

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 26th, 2013 at 11:05:43 PM permalink
Milli Vanilli won a Grammy. But since they didn't actually do the singing they had to return it. Got a give them an A for energy in this video.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 26th, 2013 at 11:45:38 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Totally agree, all the singers mentioned in that article had insane talent. I thought it was funny when I read a YouTube commenter on one of the vids who said something to the effect of: "The 'artists' of today aren't even fit to clip those guys' toenails!!!" LOL

He's right though. So many singers today don't even like performing live, and that's sad.

Not to derail my own thread, but here's an example of phenomenal singing (just to get Britney's sh*tty singing out of my head...haha). It's a woman singing Habanera from 'Carmen'. No auto-tune, no overproduction, no gimmicks at all. Just fantastic live singing.

(Music starts at 0:27)

Excellent! I'm a huge opera fan. If this had been in the States they
would have been pelting her with fries and telling her to shut up.

Good stuff, thanks for posting it.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 27th, 2013 at 10:03:02 AM permalink

Excellent! I'm a huge opera fan. If this had been in the States they
would have been pelting her with fries and telling her to shut up.

Good stuff, thanks for posting it.

No prob. The thing that really struck me was when the restaurant patrons started singing along at 4:25. That's something you would NEVER see in the States.

Hell, if you asked an American, "Have you heard 'Carmen'?" their response would probably be, "Carmen who?" LOL!
  • Jump to: