FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
  • Threads: 69
September 18th, 2013 at 6:44:07 AM permalink
The newspapers are reporting that the Naval base shooter heard "voices in my head" and that might be one of the reasons why he went on a rampage (or not).

I have questions about voices in someone's head.

When a person hears voices in his head are the voices his own in terms of tone? Is the voice someone else's voice? If the voice is someone else can it speak a foreign language? Are the Naval shooter's voices all American? Men? Women?

If someone thinks he is hearing the voice of a German is the German voice speaking proper German even if the person hearing the voice knows no German?

Would anyone like to voice an opinion?
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
September 18th, 2013 at 6:52:33 AM permalink
More common than one would think not a diagnosis
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
September 18th, 2013 at 8:19:11 AM permalink
My daughter Melanie is Schizoaffective . The voice she has occasionally heard is male and his name is Ryan. She can be talked down by my wife. Geodon is the drug that has been her savior. The last time she was hospitalized, 5 years ago, she lost all touch with reality.
She was putting glasses ofwater in all the windows at the mental hospital to keep the aliens out.

On my visits she would tell me that Hillary Clinton and Bill Gates were also confined there.

She recently had a side effect of facial Tardive Dyskinesia. Making faces that were getting progressively worse. Wriggling nose, eye brows lifting, sticking tongue out , etc. But despite the stares from strangers, her little daughters thinking she was just making funny faces, etc., this was preferable for her to hearing voices.

Luckily, vitamin therapy reversed the side effects.

I was like most people. Used to think something was wrong with people who had a mental illness. Ok to say your wife has mono or parkinsons, whatever. But never talk about mental illness. But we are all nothing but chemicals in a brain. Problem with depression is once the brain starts making those sort of chemicals, it will continue even after the source of that depression is gone.

I used to think I was a tuff guy. Until I had to make the call on ECT for Josie. Usually shock treatment works within first 10 treatments. Doctors give up at 15. Josie came back to me at 15.

Now you probably know more about mental illness than you wanted to !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
September 18th, 2013 at 8:24:35 AM permalink
that has to be tough on you
Each day is better than the next
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
September 18th, 2013 at 8:26:42 AM permalink
Nah, I have a beautiful wife, 3 lovely daughters, 13 grandchildren, ( 12 Girls).

I am a very RICH MAN. I just don't have any money.

But once I win the NFL pool, and find a good horse parley, who knows ? LOL
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
  • Threads: 69
September 18th, 2013 at 10:03:07 AM permalink
Thanks for the info. Two people in my family are mentally ill, although not in the "voice-hearing" way. One is living somewhat as a 12-year-old even though 58 years old. One is potentially dangerous, living in a fantasy world, but we can do nothing for him until he does something awful --- and we have tried everything.

Now to something else. Twelve girls? Oh, my lord, that could be rough! (Seriously, you are the richest man!)
KB1
KB1
  • Threads: 3
September 23rd, 2013 at 6:57:36 PM permalink
Frank and Buzz,

I like you guys and respect you very much.
I am sorry for your situations with family members, Buzz you are a rich man(without the cash as you stated).
Frank,I have enjoyed books and writing that you have done.
I am not going to go all southern baptist on you but I will submit that every life counts and that everyone is on Earth for a reason.
We are all made stronger by tragic events or situations in our lives.
One time I heard James Brown talking about Michael Jackson and he said it makes you wanna step back and thank God for all the blessings.
That is what we have to do if we are going to be there for our loved ones.
Fight every day and don't give up.
I am sure at one point both of you have examined these situations and maybe thought why does this happen to good people?
I have had many many deaths in my family along the past ten years,my 2 grandmothers,grandfather,little bro(22 y/o),my best friend(29 y/o),my cousin(17) and her mother my aunt(49),many others to add to the list.
I never ask God why,I ask how.How can we make everyday count,how can we move forward,how can we show the ones that are here we love them more than ever.
And then I listen.I am very very very patient,probably more so than most people.I hear that voice but it is not man or woman or German or whatever voice.I can't describe who but I know it's God answering me.

I have made some moves in my life that seem absolutely silly at the time but work out perfectly.Because I listen.I believe being a patient person is one of the best qualities one can have.When I get to vegas one day I'd love to swap stories with you guys or at any other venue we might be at.

I appreciate your contributions and enjoy the comraderie we have on this forum.I wish you guys the best.

KB1
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 332
September 23rd, 2013 at 7:14:21 PM permalink
Quote: KB1

I will submit that every life counts and that everyone is on Earth for a reason.

Really?

Not my brother in law.

He's schizophrenic.

Constantly talks to himself, misunderstands reality, very aggressive, now obese and basically helpless.

His mom died recently; he lived with her all of his life, and boy howdy was she an enabler.

Poor gal, probably blamed herself for birthing such a screwed up, worthless P.O.S.

Now he lives in the family home, alone; we have a caretaker come in to assist him, but no power on earth can make him take his meds, so he's a Fruit Loop, 24/7.
"What, me worry?"
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
September 23rd, 2013 at 7:17:02 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Really?

Not my brother in law.

He's schizophrenic.

Constantly talks to himself, misunderstands reality, very aggressive, now obese and basically helpless.

His mom died recently; he lived with her all of his life, and boy howdy was she an enabler.

Poor gal, probably blamed herself for birthing such a screwed up, worthless P.O.S.

Now he lives in the family home, alone; we have a caretaker come in to assist him, but no power on earth can make him take his meds, so he's a Fruit Loop, 24/7.

Would you say the same about an elderly person needing constant care who has Alzheimer's? How about a child with severe Autism?
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
September 23rd, 2013 at 7:21:26 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Really?

Not my brother in law.

Reminds me of a scene from Deadwood. Card player
points at a drunk who just pissed himself and says:
"Just think, he too is a part of god's handiwork."

Everyone may be here for a reason, but I doubt
it's the reason most people think it is.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: