JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
June 7th, 2013 at 12:03:37 PM permalink
What is the best cover of all time? I don’t want to include hit songs that are actually covers of originals done by little known artists. There are many of these. Aretha Franklyn’s Respect is technically a cover. I am talking about covers of songs that were previously established by another artist. . Some that come to mind:

Tina Turner’s Proud Mary
Credence Clearwater’s Heard it Through the Grape Vine
Van Halen’s Dancing in the Street
My choice is Jimi Hendrix’s All Along the Watch Tower.

I am sure there are some classics that I am forgetting and some newer covers that I am not aware of.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 7th, 2013 at 12:09:42 PM permalink
The Rascall Flatts cover of Tom Cochran's Life is a Highway is pretty great. Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails's Hurt is hauntingly good.

But I agree with you that All Along the Watch Tower might be the best of all time.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
June 7th, 2013 at 12:21:40 PM permalink
I'm actually rather partial to the Dylan version of "All Along the Watchtower" - it's got a kind of subtle doomsaying to it that Hendrix's version lacks.

Hmm. Would it count as trolling to say "Let's Spend the Night Together"?
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
June 7th, 2013 at 12:23:17 PM permalink
My choice is Metallica's cover of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page"
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
June 7th, 2013 at 12:26:13 PM permalink
Surprised no one's mentioned Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends". (It's the first that came to my mind)
Fighting BS one post at a time!
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
June 7th, 2013 at 12:30:29 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Surprised no one's mentioned Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends". (It's the first that came to my mind)

+1
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
JimRockford
JimRockford
June 7th, 2013 at 12:32:11 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

Hmm. Would it count as trolling to say "Let's Spend the Night Together"?

Maybe, who covered the Stones' classic?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
tupp
tupp
  • Threads: 3
June 7th, 2013 at 12:51:26 PM permalink
How about the Beatles' versions of "Bad Boy" or "Slow Down?"

I think both were penned and previously made hits by Larry Williams.
JimRockford
JimRockford
June 7th, 2013 at 12:56:56 PM permalink
Hey Mosca, I am going to see Joe Ely tonight in Austin. He has a great cover of Robert Earl Keen's The Road Goes On Forever.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
June 7th, 2013 at 1:03:37 PM permalink
Beatles Twist and Shout
terapined
terapined
June 7th, 2013 at 1:06:32 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Jerry Garcia did Lets Spend the Night Together with Jerry Garcia Band lots of times, but he never did it with the Dead
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
June 7th, 2013 at 1:09:26 PM permalink

Hey Mosca, I am going to see Joe Ely tonight in Austin. He has a great cover of Robert Earl Keen's The Road Goes On Forever.

Lucky you, I love Joe Ely! I love his cover of Butch Hancock's "Boxcars".
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
June 7th, 2013 at 1:11:21 PM permalink
Led Zep's cover of Earl Hooker/Willie Dixon/Muddy Waters' "You Shook Me" has to be in the top 100.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
June 7th, 2013 at 1:17:55 PM permalink
Old Crow Medicine Show did a hell of a re-do of Dylan’s “Wagon Wheel”, well before Darius Rucker came and kind of ruined it.

And just about any ska-punk remake of any song ever is always better than the original.

I can’t say I have a “best ever”, I just highly enjoy covers that are completely different from the original. Sometimes it’s Reel Big Fish putting some ska into “Take On Me” by A-ha, sometimes it’s Korn twisting the normally mind-blanketing sounds of Pink Floyd into something much rougher, and sometimes it’s Iron Horse doing all of the old school, hard ass Metallica songs in Bluegrass.

The more jarring the difference, the more I seem to like it.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
terapined
terapined
June 7th, 2013 at 1:29:15 PM permalink
Saw Widespread Panic several months ago at the Wanee festival, Warren Haynes sat in and they did a killer version of ZZ TOP "Jesus just Left Chicago", it was smokin.

Same festival Allman Brothers covered Beatles "Rain" for the 1st time ever, yes it was raining at the festival.

Same festival Robert Randolph and the Family band covered "Papa was a rolling Stone"

Same Festival John Bell of Widspread joined Warren Haynes band Govt Mule for a cover of Neil Youngs "Cortez the killer"

Speakiing of Neil Young, he likes to cover the Beatles "A day in the Life" in alot at his live shows

Saw Bob Dylan once do a cover and this guy has so many songs, he doesn't have to cover, At Bonaroo in 06, Dylan covered The Grateful Dead's "Alabama Getaway" same show I think he also did the old classic "Good Night Irene" Arlo Guthrie closes alot of his shows with "Goodnight Irene"

Bonnie Rait almost allways closes her live shows with John Prines "Angel from Montgomery"
tgarrettcpa
tgarrettcpa
  • Threads: 2
June 7th, 2013 at 1:38:58 PM permalink
Cream - Crossroads
Mosca
Mosca
June 7th, 2013 at 1:45:56 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Saw Widespread Panic several months ago at the Wanee festival, Warren Haynes sat in and they did a killer version of ZZ TOP "Jesus just Left Chicago", it was smokin.

That must have been astounding.
JimRockford
JimRockford
June 7th, 2013 at 2:05:50 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Ely does so many Butch Hancock songs, I can't keep track of which of his songs are his own.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 7th, 2013 at 2:14:32 PM permalink
Oh my goodness -- has to be Nirvana's cover of David Bowie's "The Man who Sold the World."

So good people didn't even realize it was a cover.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 7th, 2013 at 2:26:29 PM permalink
Oh, pshaw.

The People Have Spoken.

The best selling song OF ALL TIME is a cover of an Irving Berlin song.

"White Christmas," as covered by Bing Crosby.

Game, set, and match.
"What, me worry?"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
June 7th, 2013 at 2:28:15 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I can’t say I have a “best ever”, I just highly enjoy covers that are completely different from the original. Sometimes it’s Reel Big Fish putting some ska into “Take On Me” by A-ha, sometimes it’s Korn twisting the normally mind-blanketing sounds of Pink Floyd into something much rougher, and sometimes it’s Iron Horse doing all of the old school, hard ass Metallica songs in Bluegrass.

Well then Mr. Face, how about these?
Enter Sandman - Smooth Jazz version
Slipknot - Wait and Bleed (Radio Disney Version) (my personal favorite)
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (Metal version)
All by the same guy, he is pretty awesome.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
June 7th, 2013 at 2:50:24 PM permalink
The Muppets cover Buffalo Springfields - For What Its Worth
Mosca
Mosca
June 7th, 2013 at 2:54:55 PM permalink

Old Crow Medicine Show did a hell of a re-do of Dylan’s “Wagon Wheel”, well before Darius Rucker came and kind of ruined it.

And just about any ska-punk remake of any song ever is always better than the original.

Then here are two that you might like. One you probably know, and the other you probably don't.

The original:

The Gourds bluegrass version:

Richard Cheese lounge version:

djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 7th, 2013 at 2:56:08 PM permalink
"Snoop Doggy Dogg? You need a Jobby Job!"
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
June 7th, 2013 at 3:00:39 PM permalink

i love covers done by punk/ska bands. id say Pennywise - Stand By Me is my favorite. No Doubt doing Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da is pretty good too. Lucky Boys Confusion doing Smooth Criminal was very good but good luck ever finding that on the internet.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
June 7th, 2013 at 3:01:19 PM permalink
Oh man I forgot one (not by the same guy as my last post):
Get Low - acoustic coffee shop version
Okay, sorry for derailing this "legitimate music" thread with YouTube dubs :)
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
June 7th, 2013 at 3:13:29 PM permalink
The Hippos - Always Something There to Remind Me
Face
Administrator
Face
June 7th, 2013 at 3:25:27 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

i love covers done by punk/ska bands. id say Pennywise - Stand By Me is my favorite. No Doubt doing Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da is pretty good too. Lucky Boys Confusion doing Smooth Criminal was very good but good luck ever finding that on the internet.

Yup, love 'em =) I can't say I ever heard a bad ska cover. Even "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is rockin' when sung by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. You just can't go wrong with that stuff.

I do hate when you hear an obscure band do an awesome set and can't ever find it on the intertron.

Aces, I'll have to wait until I'm out of the sticks to watch the vids
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 7th, 2013 at 3:38:24 PM permalink
Love that Dan Henig cover of Get Low.

I like the MxPx version of Take On Me. Their cover of Joy Electric's Drum Machine Joy is good, too (both songs are on On the Cover, which is an EP of...well...covers).

Goldfinger's cover of Joe Jackson's Is She Really Going Out with Him is great. Their version of 9 Red Balloons is fun, too.

I wouldn't have expected such a punk/ska following on this board. That's surprising and fun.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
June 8th, 2013 at 4:55:21 AM permalink
ELO "Roll Over Beethoven"
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
June 8th, 2013 at 5:15:22 AM permalink
I love both the original and the cover: Social Distortion cover of Johnny Cash "Ring of Fire."
I heart Crystal Math.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
June 8th, 2013 at 7:06:44 AM permalink
Who's Loving You by Terence Trent D'Arby is perhaps the finest cover I have ever heard.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
June 8th, 2013 at 7:12:00 AM permalink
"Pony," by Far, was hilarious.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
JimRockford
JimRockford
June 8th, 2013 at 8:25:47 AM permalink

Joe was awesome as always. It was an outdoor venue in downtown Austin, temp was about 70, just perfect. The opening act, Jesse Dayton did a great cover of the Cars' Just What I Needed, in kind of a Texas honky tonk style.
Just What I Needed

Surprisingly effective
Face
Administrator
Face
June 8th, 2013 at 12:12:52 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

I love both the original and the cover: Social Distortion cover of Johnny Cash "Ring of Fire."

Bah. Dunno why but I really don't like that song.

Now, Social D's cover of Dylan's "Don't Think Twice", that's a song you'll find me belting out with all my heart.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 8th, 2013 at 12:39:23 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Oh, pshaw.

The People Have Spoken.

Game, set, and match.

Despite the fact that Berlin wrote it, Crosby's was the first public performance, so it's hardly a "cover".

Besides, everyone knows the best cover is "Don't Stop Believin'" by
(don't say it)
that classic cover group
(don't say it)
and stars of a Fox TV series
(don't say it)
Fat, Horny, Black, and Joe (i.e. Peter, Quagmire, Cleveland, and Joe on Family Guy)
(unfortunately, there's no good video version on YouTube; this was the best audio one)

(did you really think I was going to mention the Glee version?)
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
June 8th, 2013 at 1:24:30 PM permalink
I always liked the UK Subs version of "Shes not there" by The Zombies.

My vote for worst cover is when No Doubt attempted "Sailin' on" by Bad Brains...turrable.
100% risk of ruin
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
June 8th, 2013 at 2:17:20 PM permalink

David Bowie, of course, in the style of Billy Mays
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
June 8th, 2013 at 6:07:02 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Oh, pshaw.

The People Have Spoken.

Game, set, and match.

I thought you were going to say "Puttin' On The Ritz" by Fred Astaire..... I mean by Taco..... I mean Gene Wilder!
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
June 8th, 2013 at 6:11:20 PM permalink

Bah. Dunno why but I really don't like that song.

Now, Social D's cover of Dylan's "Don't Think Twice", that's a song you'll find me belting out with all my heart.

Excellent song. I also like the Waylon Jennings cover and the Johnny Cash cover, but I still think the original is the best.
I heart Crystal Math.
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
June 8th, 2013 at 6:32:27 PM permalink
UB40's red red wine.

Or

Fine Young Cannibals suspicious minds
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
June 8th, 2013 at 8:00:27 PM permalink
You guys picked some great ones for sure. I'm gonna go with Paul Hardcastle's cover of (do it again). It's my rocky song. I use it to get me in the right frame of mind before stepping up to the BJ table. In particular the 3 minute and beyond mark due to all the Vegas references.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_TjCDUff-Q
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
June 8th, 2013 at 8:00:39 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Beatles Twist and Shout

I think Long Tall Sally was a winner.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
JimRockford
JimRockford
June 8th, 2013 at 8:41:27 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

You guys picked some great ones for sure. I'm gonna go with Paul Hardcastle's cover of (do it again). It's my rocky song. I use it to get me in the right frame of mind before stepping up to the BJ table. In particular the 3 minute and beyond mark due to all the Vegas references.

Say, this thread is about gambling after all.
Face
Administrator
Face
June 8th, 2013 at 8:48:45 PM permalink

Then here are two that you might like. One you probably know, and the other you probably don't.

Ye of little faith =) Know them all, love them all. Was big into Cheese back a while ago, he did exactly what I said I like about covers

Quote: AcesAndEights

Well then Mr. Face, how about these?

Gadzooks and sacred bleu!

I gotta say, the first two threw me. Metallica would've been better without original vocals, and Slipknot... that was just f$#^ing weird lol. But Jepsen? Omg... that one tickled me. It made it totally listenable, as opposed to what it actually is - complete shit. It reminded me a lot of Halestorm, which is H.O.T. Good stuff =)

Also, Red Hott Chili Peppers covering Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground". Had to throw that into the ring.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 8th, 2013 at 9:08:41 PM permalink

Yup, love 'em =) I can't say I ever heard a bad ska cover. Even "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is rockin' when sung by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. You just can't go wrong with that stuff.

867-5309 by Tommy Tutone is terrible. The cover by Less than Jake is awesome. Same with Surrender by Cheap Trick... far too slow. Covered... it's the business!
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rainman
rainman
June 8th, 2013 at 9:18:09 PM permalink

Say, this whole site is about gambling after all.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 8th, 2013 at 9:31:10 PM permalink
I generally like Carrie Underwood. I definitely like Heart. It seems like a Carrie Underwood cover of Alone would be great. Holy crap is this awful.

Seether's cover of Careless Whisper is pretty interesting. I'm not really a Seether fan, but that song works well hard. Speaking of working well hard, that Call Me Maybe rework is great and would be unbelievable without the original vocals - imagine that orchestration with a nice growling vocal!
JimRockford
JimRockford
June 8th, 2013 at 9:32:47 PM permalink

Well, in theory. I am feeling guilty about sending it in another direction.
rainman
rainman
June 8th, 2013 at 10:09:34 PM permalink

Well, in theory. I am feeling guilty about sending it in another direction.

Well, I had no intention of a derail. I interpret (Best cover) as whats your favorite cover. Simply because there is no best when it comes to music, Just your personal favorite.There will never be consensus. So I simply stated my favorite and threw in a couple of tid bits as to why.

Anyway no harm no foul.
  • Jump to: