Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
June 5th, 2013 at 12:45:36 PM permalink
On another thread the matter of coincidences was brought up. It is a dice thread and I don't want to hijack it and upset tupp.
So I will combine my health log with coincidences. 6th month check-up with heart doctor. All systems go BP 106/58
Weight down to 192. Gonna have body fat test in water tank later this month.

Now for coincidences. Now there is no good time to have a heart attack. But I had mine at 11:45 am. At emergency room at 11:58 and
Doctor Pacini was loading gifts from his retirement party in his car. But decided he was on the clock till noon. So I got to be the last patient he operated on, and benefited from all his years of experience. His son does my follow up.

I have found out also I had a heart attack 20 or 25 years ago and was in good enough shape my heart repaired itself. My dad was hell of an athlete as a young man, so I inherited good genes. Died at 74, lung cancer, heavy smoker. My grandfather dies at age 59. Talk about a bad coincidence.

His name was Charles ( BUCK) Paff. A fireman for 20 years. On 20th anniversary he showed my grandmother second stone on a ring he wore, said next stone would be for thirty years. At three 0'clock a fireman called in to sat he was running late. Buck lived two blocks away and volunteered to stay about 45 minutes. Thirty minutes later, an alarm came in and Buck sat up front next to the driver.

Not his normal place, but that of the man he replaced. 5 minutes later his fire truck crashed into another and Buck was dead.
Killed by a fire truck on his 20th anniversary as a fireman.

I was 9 years old at the time. 4 years later my family moved across town in Baltimore. My first day in 7th grade the Nun at St. Thomas Aquinas seated us alphabetically. The boy in front of me was David Magaha. No biggie, until weeks later at recess, he told me his Dad had been killed in a fire truck crash 4 years before,

Life in full of coincidences it seems. Hope yours have all been the kinder ones.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Buzzard
Buzzard
June 6th, 2013 at 10:37:06 AM permalink
And I was in the USAF when my old employer, THE LORD, had this coincidence.

The pressure against Salsbury was mounting when a raid on his Oasis office by federal agents in 1968 netted them $31,000 that was taken from Salsbury's pockets and another $40,000 from one of the office's two safes.

Steven Sachs, then U.S. attorney for Maryland, described the operation as being part of "an elaborate underworld that did $60 million business in gambling across the nation."

"A few hours after the raid, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the federal tax gambling law under which Salsbury was arrested," reported the Sun Magazine. "A remarkable coincidence. The Block figure was jubilant. Here was a 100-to-1 shot that came in."
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
June 6th, 2013 at 12:19:45 PM permalink
I found an article about that crash in the Baltimore Sun. Your grandfather was in the front seat of the hose truck.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
June 6th, 2013 at 12:28:43 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I found an article about that crash in the Baltimore Sun. Your grandfather was in the front seat of the hose truck.

Here's an article
Buzz, is your last name really spelled Pfaff, or did the newspaper make a typo? Or did your dad change it?

Very sad story.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Buzzard
Buzzard
June 6th, 2013 at 1:15:05 PM permalink
Newspaper spelled it wrong. It is right on this fireman's tribute site.

http://www.bcfd8x10.com/tribute.htm Scroll down to 1949.

The newspapers also played it up that it that BUCK was to have retired that day. Not true !

Being only 9 when he died, I barely remember Buck. His hobby was making houses, stores, fire stations, etc. for people's Christmas gardens. I remember helping him put the bubble lights on the tree each year. The ones with mercury in them. Of course , mercury was OK back then. Even played with it on the desks in school. Liked the way it split and came back together. Probably a kid did the same and remembered it when making the Terminator movies ?
21Revolution
21Revolution
  • Threads: 8
June 6th, 2013 at 6:16:13 PM permalink
Buzz- are you on pace for a stong recovery? I'm hoping that you posting out here means things are going ok. Sorry to hear the news.
Buzzard
Buzzard
June 6th, 2013 at 7:25:53 PM permalink
Only the good die young. I should be around for a lot more years. Never smoked, rarely drank, inherited good genes, ducked a bullet or two in younger years.

Still as strong , but not as much stamina. So have change out bottom half of cue stick under front seat for a tire iron.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
June 6th, 2013 at 7:50:33 PM permalink
Although we can say things are random here and there, I believe everyone has a story based on their life. So I tend to think in terms of how my story is being written and think things only appear to be coincidences. Life is full of drama. I don't think the stars and planets are really subject to chance, but a long string of cause and effect, which inevitably controls our whole lives. I'm basically saying free will is only an illusion of our perception and our stories have already been written. It all appears to be luck and coincidence, but I think it's all just meant to be and cannot be changed. From the big bang, all events are just a domino effect including our lives and the laws which the universe lives by control everything.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: