No votes (0%)
10 votes (37.03%)
4 votes (14.81%)

27 members have voted

treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
March 16th, 2013 at 2:45:22 PM permalink
I thought the forum needed to be refreshed. Lets go from dice control to mice control. Please select your preferred method
Each day is better than the next
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 16th, 2013 at 2:49:04 PM permalink
I don't use traps anymore cause this always happens.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 16th, 2013 at 2:59:01 PM permalink
I use an aquarium. Just fill with something non-perishable, preferably not desired by ants. Mixed bird seed works well. They go in and can’t get out. Just grab ‘em up and take ‘em to the woods. No muss, no fuss, no maggot ridden corpse, no poison for kids to get into.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 16th, 2013 at 3:03:04 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I use an aquarium. Just fill with something non-perishable, preferably not desired by ants. Mixed bird seed works well. They go in and can’t get out. Just grab ‘em up and take ‘em to the woods. No muss, no fuss, no maggot ridden corpse, no poison for kids to get into.

You know how to take the fun out of everything. I have
half a dozen cats, haven't seen a mouse in years. Last
one I saw was in the middle of a ring of six cats, all
hunkered down, watching the frozen mouse. It wasn't
his best day, things went badly for him eventually.
Face
Administrator
Face
March 16th, 2013 at 3:19:03 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You know how to take the fun out of everything. I have
half a dozen cats, haven't seen a mouse in years. Last
one I saw was in the middle of a ring of six cats, all
hunkered down, watching the frozen mouse. It wasn't
his best day, things went badly for him eventually.

Aww, c’mon =)

I don’t have a problem with cats chewing them up, but I don’t have a cat. The neighborhood prowler nabs a couple, but he doesn’t have access to my garage.

Traps aren’t bad, but I’ve seen a few legs crushed and chewed off to allow escape. Plus, once it’s tripped, it’s useless until you notice it next.

Poison is kind of brutal, and I don’t like it where my kid might play or get into.

Sticky pads are terrible. Just terrible.

Sonic? Gimmick.

The aquarium works constantly, has a 100% success rate, has nothing to reset, and nothing to clean up. Even if I didn’t have a humane bone in my body, I still think it’s the most effective, challenged only by a herd of cats. And my tank never comes over and sits on my face when I’m trying to nap ;)
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 16th, 2013 at 3:25:25 PM permalink

The aquarium works constantly, has a 100% success rate,

How do they get into the thing, jump off a shelf?
They can't climb up the glass sides, or they could
climb out too.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
March 16th, 2013 at 3:35:02 PM permalink

I accidentally caught one in a plastic kitchen garbage can once - how the mouse climbed up the sides (which slope outwards on the outside), I'll never know.

This reminds me of a joke "How Politically Correct Are You?" test I saw once. One question was, "How do you get rid of mice in your home?" The answers, from most PC to least PC, were something like:
(a) I don't - the mice have just as right to be here as I do
(b) With humane traps
(c) With whatever it takes, including poison if necessary
(d) I stop feeding my cat
Face
Administrator
Face
March 16th, 2013 at 3:37:43 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

How do they get into the thing, jump off a shelf?
They can't climb up the glass sides, or they could
climb out too.

Not entirely sure, but my garage, especially on that side, is quite cluttered. The walls are old, coarse plywood, there's plenty of shelves, old bags of potting soil and wood chips, scrap lumber, a 70's era snowblower, weed whackers, a scythe, work bench, old wood yard decorations, a grill, rope, chains, and god knows what else. It's a treasure hunt every time I dig in that corner, for sure.

I suppose if I cleaned it, I wouldn’t have mice to begin with…
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 16th, 2013 at 4:04:02 PM permalink
One cold snowy winter in the 80's I took to
storing the trash on the rickety old back
porch, which is now long gone. In no time
I had a basement full of mice and they would
venture into the house as well.

I had about 8 cats then as well and it got so
bad, they saw and caught so many mice,
that a mouse would run in front of them and
they wouldn't even react. They never ate
them, just killed them. And they were bored
with the game.

I put D-Con in several places in the basement
and in a week, no more mice. The poison they
use in D-Con is the same thing thats used in the
blood thinning drugs they give people who have
had strokes. Charming..
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
March 16th, 2013 at 4:22:37 PM permalink
The US Goverment is genetically altering rodents in the Las Vegas area.

I only know this because on a Masked friend who has proof of Biased Mice.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 16th, 2013 at 5:05:20 PM permalink
I use .22 shorts.

Yum, taste like chicken.
"What, me worry?"
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 17th, 2013 at 2:40:54 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

The US Goverment is genetically altering rodents in the Las Vegas area.

I only know this because on a Masked friend who has proof of Biased Mice.

Post of the day!

Well, I heard this too, but I found out the problem was, he had lost a lot of money betting on the mice. Obviously they were tainted!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
March 17th, 2013 at 6:51:20 AM permalink
When I lived in Baltimore we had mice visitors every winter it seemed like. At the time we had two cats and one, a female calico, was a good mouser. The other, a Siamese male, wanted nothing to do with mice. However, what I found even more effective were the glue traps. The mice liked to go from the basement up the stairs to the kitchen every night. So I laid out glue traps along one step, covering the width of a designated stair. I never saw a mouse in the kitchen after that.

The downside to the glue traps is you deal with the live mouse. I didn't have the heart to stomp on it so I put the mouse and trap out in the cold until he froze to death. I know that is the more painful way to go, but at least it was easier on me. We also had to secure the cats, to make sure they didn't get stuck in the traps.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
March 17th, 2013 at 7:06:16 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I know that is the more painful way to go

It's not bad. Even for humans, avoiding cold is difficult because you are fighting an instinct. An instinct, not real pain. This is one reason a person gets used to the cold as winter goes on, you can even surprise yourself getting used to extreme cold. People often say "my blood gets thicker" as winter goes on.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
March 17th, 2013 at 9:45:55 AM permalink
I used to have to control them when I ran the pest control company. I preferred bait (poison) but the snap-trap was not given the credit it deserved. Glue traps people liked because they saw dead mice, but glue is not as good in the cold, which is when you get mice up north.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
March 17th, 2013 at 9:53:38 AM permalink
Just kill them the old fashioned way. They wouldn't even exist without humans providing food and shelter, plus there are plenty.
I bought a live trap, couldn't see inside as well as I thought, and wound up just accidentally letting them starve to death anyways. I would not do that again.
I am a robot.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
March 17th, 2013 at 10:22:22 AM permalink
i try to let my cat defend against cockroaches that get in. shes pretty bad at it though so i end up having to eventually get them. shes only got one eye so pretty bad depth perception when she tries swiping at them.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 17th, 2013 at 10:52:56 AM permalink

The downside to the glue traps is you deal with the live mouse. I didn't have the heart to stomp on it so I put the mouse and trap out in the cold until he froze to death. I know that is the more painful way to go, but at least it was easier on me.

And glue traps are promoted as humane... So, if the poor vermin isn't thrown out to be slowly frozen to death, it can gnaw off it's own foot to get free. Charming.

Just get cheap snap traps. They kill the vermin instantly, most times, and you can toss them in the garbage with the corpse.

BTW, if you have a pigeon problem, get a cat or a dog. It's uncanny, but pigeons wont' go near a house where an active predator lives.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
rxwine
rxwine
March 17th, 2013 at 11:56:22 AM permalink
I used a glue trap to catch a mouse that ran in my door the day before. I knew he was in the kitchen. The next morning he was stuck on the trap.

So, I used the handy Internet to find out that you can free them by pouring on vegetable oil. The only thing I had was liguid dish soap. Unfortunately dish soap doesn't work and I pretty much drowned him.

Also, according to what I read, you have to free them a pretty long way off, like a half mile, or they return to the same area.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
March 17th, 2013 at 12:17:26 PM permalink
once you catch a mouse on a glue trap, IMHO, you must fold trap in half so glue and mouse are on the inside and stomp. Mice can live 24-36 hours while stuck on trap. I feel sorry for them. Put them out their misery. Another option would be to open all the doors and try to shoo them out......a choice for the green crowd.
Each day is better than the next
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 17th, 2013 at 12:22:21 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Unfortunately dish soap doesn't work and I pretty much drowned him.

So much for humane traps...

Mice and, worse, rats, are vermin. They spread disease and, in rural areas, damage stores of grain and crops. It's ok to kill them. But if you want to do it humanely, I think a snap trap, for small infestations naturally, is the way to go. Rat poison, if memory serves, causes internal bleeding, which is also an awful way to go.

During WWI, when trenches were pretty much in use for weeks at a time, if not longer, rats infested the hell out of them. Soldiers reported the only thing that got rid of them was poison gas. And even then new rats showed up within days.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
rxwine
rxwine
March 17th, 2013 at 12:30:17 PM permalink
I think an oil based substance probably would have worked to free it. Soap just made a mess of it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
March 17th, 2013 at 12:47:59 PM permalink
I have not seen a mouse during my 3 years living here in Vegas. Not in either of my homes, which were both communal type housing, first condo and current apartment, nor have a seen any on the street or anywhere in public.

Back in Philly, I would often see mice and rats in public, on the streets, in the park, etc. And, like Wizard's days in Baltimore, would have at least one mouse visitor in my home each winter. The first year I saw one, I opted for the poison bait. I remember laying in bed one night hearing the mouse crunching away on the bait. Two or three days later and there was no more evidence of a mouse. Another two or three days and the apartment began to really stink of death. It grew horrible. Enough to make you sick. I began moving furniture and searching everywhere I could for the decaying critter. I think he had crawled up in the heating works somewhere. Never did find him. It took several weeks but eventually the odor subsided. Lesson learned. The following year at first sighting of a mouse, I opted for the old fashion spring trap. :)
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 17th, 2013 at 12:54:34 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I have not seen a mouse during my 3 years living here in Vegas. Not in either of my homes, which were both communal type housing, first condo and current apartment, nor have a seen any on the street or anywhere in public

No, of course not: the rattlesnakes eat 'em for dinner.
"What, me worry?"
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
March 17th, 2013 at 12:57:46 PM permalink

The downside to the glue traps is you deal with the live mouse. I didn't have the heart to stomp on it so I put the mouse and trap out in the cold until he froze to death. I know that is the more painful way to go, but at least it was easier on me.

Why not use the cat? I find a good way to deal with pests you don't want to touch is to get a cat or a dog near them. A bit of crunch and it's done.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
rxwine
rxwine
March 17th, 2013 at 1:13:48 PM permalink
Speaking of humane, I caught some roaches with the reminder of glue traps I bought for the one mouse.

Let's just say, they enjoyed an afternoon of Vegas summer sun, and 108 temps.

(don't know if I'll get any bad return karma for that)
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 17th, 2013 at 1:19:50 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Speaking of humane, I caught some roaches with the reminder of glue traps I bought for the one mouse.

Let's just say, they enjoyed an afternoon of Vegas summer sun, and 108 temps.

You want bugs, live down south for awhile. Florida is where
the guys who own the exterminator companies all drive new Cadillac
Escalades and live in 5000 sq ft homes on the beach.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 18th, 2013 at 12:47:40 AM permalink
Saving a mouse is just stupid, because its ideal environment is someone's house.
I am a robot.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 18th, 2013 at 9:18:54 AM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

I thought the forum needed to be refreshed. Lets go from dice control to mice control. Please select your preferred method

Implants. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/1961798.stm
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
March 18th, 2013 at 11:01:59 AM permalink
Now that I think about it, when I need to I grasp the mouse with a paper towel and I crush the skull between my thumb and finger.
Face
Administrator
Face
March 18th, 2013 at 3:40:17 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Saving a mouse is just stupid, because its ideal environment is someone's house.

Meh. Using my garage as respite from the cold is not punishable by death at my house, nor did I become angry when squirrels infested my hockey bag. They didn’t chew nothing up nor fill it with excrement, so we’re on good terms.

About the only thing I eradicate are bee’s/wasp’s nests, and only because my girl is allergic. Even then, the only ones I kill are bald-faced hornets, because I can’t get their hives out of the tree without facing their fiery fury. Most others are cake, just snip and cart em away.
HenryKlein
HenryKlein
  • Threads: 0
March 18th, 2013 at 9:30:06 PM permalink

The downside to the glue traps is you deal with the live mouse. I didn't have the heart to stomp on it so I put the mouse and trap out in the cold until he froze to death. I know that is the more painful way to go, but at least it was easier on me. We also had to secure the cats, to make sure they didn't get stuck in the traps.

You didn't have the heart to stomp on it (and give it a quick death), yet you had the heart to give it a slower death?

:/

Set your squeamishness aside and do the right thing, just put the animal out of its misery next time. Cover with newspaper or a plastic bag, get something heavy like a thick textbook or brick, take a deep breath and end it with one hit. Alternatively you could have just drowned it, it's over in under a minute and it's less painful than just leaving it there. I'd recommend a snap trap over the glue traps anyway, actually I think glue traps should be outlawed. When you see a mouse stuck overnight with its leg bones broken from struggling and gnawing on one leg to escape, you'll know what I mean.

It might have been "easier" for you, but IMO that wasn't the moral thing to do. What about the suffering mouse? You're not the one in physical pain dying slowly. I don't want to come across as judgemental, just sayin'.
HenryKlein
HenryKlein
  • Threads: 0
March 18th, 2013 at 9:44:32 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

And glue traps are promoted as humane... So, if the poor vermin isn't thrown out to be slowly frozen to death, it can gnaw off it's own foot to get free. Charming.

They're diabolical, and in my mind, one of the worst inventions humanity has ever come up with in respect to catching animals.

A few years ago I was working at a pet food/supply store. We had a mouse problem because the birdseeds would attract them, and my boss had the 'genius' idea of using glue traps to control the problem. Next morning, one of the traps caught a mouse - it must have been there overnight because parts of its skin was ripped off, and its back legs were at unnatural angles. They struggle so much that they end up mutilating their little bodies, pretty much. At the time I spotted it, it was in the middle of gnawing one of its front legs off. The entire trap was covered in poop, pee and blood - not really a sanitary method of control is it? We have a CO2 chamber to euthanise feeder mice for snakefood so I put the trap in there, and the animal died peacefully. Were I not around at the time, it probably would have suffered there for many more hours yet. They can live 2-3 days stuck on those things apparently.

I did show my boss, he was pretty upset and got rid of the remaining glue traps and used tomcat snap traps instead. So moral of the story is: glue traps torture animals, don't use them. And if you do, don't just leave the animal there and put it out of its misery as humanely as possible. People may say they're "just pests" or "only mice", but at the end of the day they are animals that can feel pain so we ought to minimise the cruelty factor. I don't think they should be allowed to be sold at all, in fact I am surprised they are still legal given the alternatives available to us.
  • Jump to: