Ahigh
Ahigh
Joined: May 19, 2010
  • Threads: 87
  • Posts: 5144
January 11th, 2013 at 3:18:17 PM permalink
I recently noticed an 80" Sharp screen at Sears of all places for $3999. The cheapest I see them these days is a couple hundred more.

But I am just wondering, how many people have TV's bigger than 60" who are on this forum? How many people want one?

I think my woman wouldn't want me to spend that much on a TV and would prefer it go towards a vehicle.

But curious if anybody else has contemplated 70" or 80" .. even specifically comments about the Sharp model.
GH
GH
Joined: Oct 21, 2012
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 272
January 11th, 2013 at 3:22:55 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

I am just wondering, how many people have TV's bigger than 60" who are on this forum?


I use a data projector and an 80 inch projection screen. Great for watching Netflix or Amazon Instant. Trouble is, I need a throw distance of about 9 feet. Total cost, about $800
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 431
  • Posts: 24879
January 11th, 2013 at 3:24:17 PM permalink
I have a 52" and its too big. I like it around 40". I have
to move my head too much with a 52, I try moving just
my eyes but it feels weird.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
January 11th, 2013 at 3:25:52 PM permalink
Mine is exactly 60". It was also really cheap (like, $800 or something). The picture is great, but, at that price, I won't mind replacing it in a year or two if some new technology (3D w/o glasses?) becomes affordable.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
January 11th, 2013 at 3:26:44 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I have a 52" and its too big. I like it around 40". I have
to move my head too much with a 52, I try moving just
my eyes but it feels weird.



Your room is probably too small for a TV that size. You need to sit far enough away that you can comfortably see the whole picture in your field of vision.
MakingBook
MakingBook
Joined: Sep 19, 2011
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 496
January 11th, 2013 at 3:27:55 PM permalink
72" Toshiba. Worth every dollar to me. Love it.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 11th, 2013 at 3:28:34 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

I recently noticed an 80" Sharp screen at Sears of all places for $3999. The cheapest I see them these days is a couple hundred more.

But I am just wondering, how many people have TV's bigger than 60" who are on this forum? How many people want one?



I want a really big one soon. But I'll wait until they are given away free with cereal ;)

Seriously, what I paid for my 32" inch LED TV seems like highway robbery compared to today's prices...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
steeldco
steeldco
Joined: Nov 30, 2011
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 4914
January 11th, 2013 at 3:54:43 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

I recently noticed an 80" Sharp screen at Sears of all places for $3999. The cheapest I see them these days is a couple hundred more.

But I am just wondering, how many people have TV's bigger than 60" who are on this forum? How many people want one?

I think my woman wouldn't want me to spend that much on a TV and would prefer it go towards a vehicle.

But curious if anybody else has contemplated 70" or 80" .. even specifically comments about the Sharp model.



I've had a Mitsubishi 60" monster-sized TV for around a dozen years. I paid a left nut for it then........but it was well worth it. My wife is eyeing the Panasonic 65" Plasma (ST series I think) for around $2K. She researched thoroughly and believes that it's best value available. Since my wife is nearly always right, we will be ordering.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
Doc
Doc
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7076
January 11th, 2013 at 3:58:15 PM permalink
I have a 61" Samsung in the corner of my condo living room. Most of the L-configuration seating is about 10 or 12 feet from the screen. I bought it just over 4 years ago, and I still love it. At first, my wife thought it would be too big and just a man-cave thing, but before long she liked it a lot, too. By putting it in the corner, I didn't need a flat-panel plasma. Mine is a 1080p DLP.
Buzzard
Buzzard
Joined: Oct 28, 2012
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6814
January 11th, 2013 at 3:59:17 PM permalink
I am thinking of springing for a color TV next time. If I can find one with a built in VHS player.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet

  • Jump to: