kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
December 12th, 2012 at 8:00:40 PM permalink
It happens only a day at a time and so doesn't seem like much. To put it in perspective though my working life has been 42 years since graduation from university. I have only had a holiday of over 2 weeks at stretch 3 times in that time. The longest was 2 months when I went from employee to entrepeneur. A day a month is 2 years of paid time off during my working life. I have probably not missed more than a months work due to being sick in that time including a broken knee cap. You could possibly double that for days that maybe I shouldn't have worked since I could have been spreading something to my colleagues.

12 days is definately excessive and your fellow employees are carrying the can for you while you take your paid days off. The only place that this can happen any more is public sector unions. Private sector would go broke trying manage this kind of expense.

I hope you always shop and buy union even if it costs you more to support the private sector unions trying to hang onto their benefits that are already less than yours.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
sevenout77
sevenout77
  • Threads: 0
April 9th, 2013 at 11:54:58 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

I kind of find this thread a bit much. I can readily state that I've been one of the sick ones thru a good deal of my life and readily admit that I had taken alot of time off. Having said that, I do not think that it is fair that I be helped with time off while a healthy individual does not get that same benefit. Which is why in my management career, I have always done away with "sick" time and just allowed paid time off. It is even handed and doesn't create ill will.

For those who say "suck it up" and don't take time off unless you're ill, I will remind you that pretty much everything is negotiated and what counts is your total compensation, including benefits. What buckets you put the pieces in doesn't matter.

Amen!@
66 inside Booooooom Seven out!!!!
SACR
SACR
  • Threads: 7
April 10th, 2013 at 3:38:28 AM permalink
Very interesting thread.

While I don't necessarily think you are 'abusing' sick leave, you are gaming the system.

I can tell you that people in HR/personnel always look a little closer at people who are 'sick' on Mondays or Fridays, thinking they are going for a long weekend.

If people are ALWAYS sick on those days, it can merit a closer look.

If someone was ALWAYS sick the day after payday, wouldn't you think that was suspicious? I knew someone who was like that, and it didn't take long for people at work to notice. He had a drug problem, and after getting paid would go out and get high.

If someone was always sicks on Fridays or Mondays, eventually people are going to wonder if you're not simply calling in for a long weekend, but if there is also something else involved, like going out on Thursday or Sunday nights, drinking too much, and being too hungover to work the next day.

That is something else to consider.

I will tell you that as someone who worked at a company that did not allow sick or vacation days to rollover, it just encouraged people to use their sick days whenever they had a doctors appointment or did not feel well. The general attitude was that if they were not going to be compensated for not using those days, they might as well use them.

I like the idea of unlimited sick days espoused previously in this thread, because I think most people would not think they are losing a benefit if there is no delineation of the benefit. I also agree most would not try to abuse it.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
April 10th, 2013 at 3:53:03 AM permalink
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 19th, 2013 at 1:26:31 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

My mind went to exactly the same comic!
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
sevenout77
sevenout77
April 19th, 2013 at 2:32:38 PM permalink
So the question is:
I work for a school district and have been given the option to resign in lieu of termination. I am being told that if terminated one can not apply for employment benefits but if one resigns that one CAN be eligible for employment benefits.
Any takers here I would like some feedback please.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 125
April 19th, 2013 at 2:59:32 PM permalink
Either way, if you are being asked to resign, you can get unemployment. Unemployment won't care about the semantics.
sevenout77
sevenout77
April 19th, 2013 at 3:04:57 PM permalink
I am being terminated. I can request a settlement by the district to resign in lieu of termination . I have not been told I am being forced to resign. That is what my labor relations suggested to me
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 125
April 19th, 2013 at 3:48:30 PM permalink
They are correct. And either way, you can get unemployment (that is without knowing where you live)
sevenout77
sevenout77
April 19th, 2013 at 4:11:34 PM permalink
california
It is my understanding that if voluntarily resign can not collect UIB
If terminated can not collect UIB
Can I insist that HR puts in writing that I am being terminated due to layoff and that they will NOT contest UIB in anyway?

• Jump to: