SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 115
December 11th, 2012 at 1:37:08 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

It's only a burden if you don't properly plan on it. Making it all paid time off eases that burden considerably. Even handed. Fair. No ill will created between associates. Easy to plan on.

And....respectfully, someone in his position should never try to compare his work rules to someone in Tim's. Never. I sure as hell wouldn't. Anyone well compensated would probably be fine with Soopo's work rules. I am and I don't begrudge Tim anything.

We can agree to disagree. I do not think the level of compensation should not determine your work ethic and how you present yourself to your employer and coworkers, and how dependable to them you should be. I totally agree with the 'all PTO' concept, a day off is a day off, regardless of the reason.

My overall feeling on the sick/PTO/vacation/ time off is that each company should have an unambiguous policy, with clearly defined punishments for abuse. If it says- you can use sick days but need a doctor's note, so be it. If it says you can use up to 3 sick days in a row without one, so be it. It is interesting to note how some said that a child being sick is a valid excuse to use a sick day. In my previous job, we employed our own CRNAs (very highly compensated anesthesia nurses). I would guess the number of sick days used by our female employees for family reasons was 100 times as great as those by our male employees, and we had about the same number of females and males. I wonder if this is similar throughout the work force. I would guess so.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
December 11th, 2012 at 1:51:59 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

My overall feeling on the sick/PTO/vacation/ time off is that each company should have an unambiguous policy, with clearly defined punishments for abuse. If it says- you can use sick days but need a doctor's note, so be it. If it says you can use up to 3 sick days in a row without one, so be it.

I agree with you!
The way my contract is written says "5 days Sick leave without doctor verification".
The head boss went above the contract to state that I needed a doctor note for any sick day.
To which I complied, even though it goes against the contract.
And at this point, they're STILL complaining, trying to venture down other avenues of vengance for my absences...
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
December 11th, 2012 at 1:56:19 PM permalink

My overall feeling on the sick/PTO/vacation/ time off is that each company should have an unambiguous policy, with clearly defined punishments for abuse. If it says- you can use sick days but need a doctor's note, so be it. If it says you can use up to 3 sick days in a row without one, so be it. It is interesting to note how some said that a child being sick is a valid excuse to use a sick day. In my previous job, we employed our own CRNAs (very highly compensated anesthesia nurses). I would guess the number of sick days used by our female employees for family reasons was 100 times as great as those by our male employees, and we had about the same number of females and males. I wonder if this is similar throughout the work force. I would guess so.

I agree completely. Men can also use appropriate sick time to tend to sick kids (if company policy allows), but would bet that more women tend to do this then men in actuality.

Steeldco - I read your previous comments and although I can't speak to everyone in every situation, I still hold to the belief that calling in sick puts a burden on your co-workers and company regardless of your profession, job, salary, title, etc. If you are actually ill, then it makes sense to use the time so as not to put others at risk, but I have an issue with those who call in just to take a three day weekend.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 11th, 2012 at 1:56:19 PM permalink
"The way my contract is written says "5 days Sick leave without doctor verification".
The head boss went above the contract to state that I needed a doctor note for any sick day.

Ain't it wonderful how when management refuses to live up to the contract, it's no big thing. But an employee who takes advantage of the written contract is a malingerer !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 115
December 11th, 2012 at 1:56:31 PM permalink
Quote: TIMSPEED

I agree with you!
The way my contract is written says "5 days Sick leave without doctor verification".
And at this point, they're STILL complaining, trying to venture down other avenues of vengance for my absences...

So you need a doctor's note for sick days 6 through 12? Have you given them those notes or have you not reached the 6th sick day of the year yet?
By the way, I really can't figure out your relationship with your boss, etc... but you don't think that they are trying to replace you? Unless you were so valuable to the company I would be..... just saying....
Maverick17
Maverick17
  • Threads: 17
December 11th, 2012 at 1:58:42 PM permalink
Fatigue, its a real thing, an illness that many in Hollywood suffer from on a continual basis.

There is no "wrong" way to look at sick days, look at them as extra days off, or to be used only when actually sick, it doesn't really matter.

This, among many other reasons is why I chose not to work for "the man" and answer only to myself (and by default my clients).
Statistics don't lie, they deceive.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
December 11th, 2012 at 2:01:35 PM permalink

I agree with you!

So you need a doctor's note for sick days 6 through 12? Have you given them those notes or have you not reached the 6th sick day of the year yet?
By the way, I really can't figure out your relationship with your boss, etc... but you don't think that they are trying to replace you? Unless you were so valuable to the company I would be..... just saying....

Sorry, I should have edited the original post "5 consecutive sick days", and no I have not been off for more than 1-2 days at a time. (even though I have provided a dr note lately, as per the head boss's request)

Believe me, if they could replace me, they would have...I'm under union contract, so even if they WANTED to (which I'm sure they'd LOOOVE to) they would have a helluva' time doing it. (and besides EVERYONE in the company can't praise me enough..it's just my immediate supervisor who is angry)
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 11th, 2012 at 2:08:18 PM permalink
Before somebody starts ranting it's impossible to fire a union employee. BULL SHIT

But management has to have a valid reason, not just I don't like her.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
December 11th, 2012 at 3:22:11 PM permalink
Being on a production system (and consequently a federal employee) taking sick hours or annual leave actually erases my expected "production" for the given time period. If I'm supposed to get one set of work done in four hours and I take off eight with sick leave, I have to get two less "sets" done in that biweek.

Thanks for feeding the stereotype.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 11th, 2012 at 4:28:09 PM permalink

Sorry, I should have edited the original post "5 consecutive sick days", and no I have not been off for more than 1-2 days at a time. (even though I have provided a dr note lately, as per the head boss's request)

So how exactly are you procuring these notes? Are you actually going to the doctor for this one "sick" day every month? If so it would indicate that you actually are kind of sickly and not gaming the system. Or do you just forge the note or have a friend (real Dr. or imaginary) forge it for you? The plot thickens...

If I were you, I would be praying to not be stricken with a real, honest-to-god, have-to-miss-a-week flu or other serious illness. All your sick days for 2012 are gone...
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer

• Jump to: